Randy Melvin

Advertisement
No idea if this guy is worth the hire or not, but the probability of our DL looking better with Golden and Dorito still here is nil.

Know why the opinions of everyone in this thread are crap?

Anybody remember our opinions on Golden after the initial hire?

Where the ****** coaches at?

image.jpg

Hoot! Hoot!

Advertisement
KP would love to be back here. Honestly, this guy going back to his temple staff once again ****es me off.

Current link or source or is this just CIS internet rumor? Not like the guy "Mike Leach/Butch Davis'd" it and went on local radio practically giving us an oral resume begging for the job. I haven't heard anything from KP expressing any interest since the job opened.

I could be wrong.. Maybe I missed that one.

That guy is a really good dline coach. He had a couple undersized d-ends at FIU among the nations best in sacks... Their D-ends racked up more sacks and turnovers than our players. If true good pull...

When will we accept that has more to do with what DLinemen are asked to do (by the scheme or playcalling) than what their position coach is teaching them?

Advertisement
That guy is a really good dline coach. He had a couple undersized d-ends at FIU among the nations best in sacks... Their D-ends racked up more sacks and turnovers than our players. If true good pull...

When will we accept that has more to do with what DLinemen are asked to do (by the scheme or playcalling) than what their position coach is teaching them?

Bingo. I could honestly coach the D Line at Miami. I just have to keep reminding them to stand up and hold their ground without moving forward.

No idea. All of these position coach threads have been baffling to me big time.

Let's see:

-The guy has been fired from several different positions after short periods of time
-He's coached a million different places
-Likely was considered for this position because Golden knew him from Golden's illustrious tenure at Temple, where this guy coached the greatest defensive lineman in the history of the game, Muhammed Wilkerson
The job we hired him away from was FIU, one of the biggest dumpster fires in all of the NCAA
-Our defensive line has grossly underperformed during Golden's time here, largely because of the scheme, but even with the terrible scheme, our guys have clearly not played well, and could really use a good defensive line coach

Oh yeah, and nothing our coach has done in his four years here, from coaching decisions, game strategy, recruiting, etc, has proven to be successful.

So, yeah, I think I'm going to assume that this is a bad hire, that we have again chosen to stick with what we know rather than go after something different, and that this is likely to make no difference in the results on the field with our current head coach and defensive coordinator.

Advertisement
Didn't he get fired right after the Patriots won a super bowl? You have to be pretty bad if Belichick fires you after your team just won a SB...

Advertisement
Directly from the school's release, presented with no further comment:

Melvin arrives at Miami after he spent the 2014 season at FIU serving on head coach Ron Turner’s staff as the defensive line coach. Under Melvin guidance, the Panthers featured the No. 3 ranked defense in Conference USA.

Melvin joins Golden’s coaching staff for the second in his career as the two spent the 2009 season together at Temple. During his 2009 stint with the Owls, Temple ranked No. 1 in the Mid-American Conference against the run, limiting opponents to just 107.6 yards per game. During his time with Temple, Melvin helped tutor currently New York Jets defensive lineman Muhammad Wilkerson.

Advertisement
Back