Randy Bates - Pittsburgh DC

Let me be clear this is not inside information. Just think it's an upgrade.

Randy Bates DC
images

Under his belt as a DC at Pitt

2020 Defense ranked 20th Overall.
2019 Defense ranked 38th Overall.
2018 Defense ranked 75th Overall.

He was also the defensive coordinator at LA TECH in 2005 in which his Louisiana Tech defense forced 31 turnovers to lead WAC and rank ninth nationally. The Bulldogs surrendered their fewest points since 1994 and finished among the WAC's top three teams in rushing defense, pass defense, total defense and scoring defense.

Oh and btw, bring me his DL coach as well which doesn't need any introduction here.

Charlie Patridge
3077176_web1_gtr-Partridge-100220.jpg

is he really calling the Defense or is Narduzzi pulling the strings?

Advertisement
Advertisement
is he really calling the Defense or is Narduzzi pulling the strings?
Pretty confident Bates is calling the plays and doing what a DC does.

Crazy coincidence- Randy Bates got his Master's Degree from Miami University. He's a Miami guy! Checks all the boxes.
I'm sure we all know the difference between Miami University (Ohio) and The University of Miami at this point.

Advertisement
Let me be clear this is not inside information. Just think it's an upgrade.

Randy Bates DC
images

Under his belt as a DC at Pitt

2020 Defense ranked 20th Overall.
2019 Defense ranked 38th Overall.
2018 Defense ranked 75th Overall.

He was also the defensive coordinator at LA TECH in 2005 in which his Louisiana Tech defense forced 31 turnovers to lead WAC and rank ninth nationally. The Bulldogs surrendered their fewest points since 1994 and finished among the WAC's top three teams in rushing defense, pass defense, total defense and scoring defense.

Oh and btw, bring me his DL coach as well which doesn't need any introduction here.

Charlie Patridge
3077176_web1_gtr-Partridge-100220.jpg
I like both but I'd take partridge
Get ready for some press quarters coverage.
Do you think it'd be a good scheme for what we can recruit in south florida? I think it's a better fit than the heavy zone scheme we run now. Always loved watching my home town msu teams running that cover 4 scheme back in the narduzzis days

I like both but I'd take partridge

Do you think it'd be a good scheme for what we can recruit in south florida? I think it's a better fit than the heavy zone scheme we run now. Always loved watching my home town msu teams running that cover 4 scheme back in the narduzzis days
**** yeah!
It's basically Cover-4 Press...aka...Cover Zero.

It's a very aggressive scheme on the back-end.
CB's are pressed. Safeties are shallow, about 8 to 10 yards off the ball.
It's the opposite of "bend but don't break".

Advertisement
Like blow the stadium power transformer?
There was a infamous relegation game in the 2nd professional german soccer league (I think), where the fanbase left their team with 10 minutes to go, to drive to the power switch that gave the stadium light and electricity (night game) and cut all cables.

Their team was losing and therefore being relegated up until that happened.

**** yeah!
It's basically Cover-4 Press...aka...Cover Zero.

It's a very aggressive scheme on the back-end.
CB's are pressed. Safeties are shallow, about 8 to 10 yards off the ball.
It's the opposite of "bend but don't break".
We can dream about it at least. One thing I like about it is you stop the run first. Even in the days of explosive offenses the best defenses stop the run first. The four playoff teams all had good run defense

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back