Random thoughts... a change in strategy???

TexCane

Sophomore
Since early April, I noticed a change in recruiting strategy by our Canes. First, there's been a subtle change of target areas. It appears we have shifted from recruiting near home (So. Fla.) to Georgia and surrounding states. Second, we appear to be shifting from offensive prospects to defensive prospects. Eighteen of twenty-four offers since the start of April have been on that side of the ball. If intentional, this would be a reversal from last year when Miami went strong for OOS prospects early in the process and then Florida kids late. Perhaps it was another lesson learned by our staff. So far, the results have been amazing or perhaps the winding down of the ncaa investigation is opening opportunities for us. Something to think about and discuss.

:cigar:

Advertisement
Advertisement
Since early April, I noticed a change in recruiting strategy by our Canes. First, there's been a subtle change of target areas. It appears we have shifted from recruiting near home (So. Fla.) to Georgia and surrounding states. Second, we appear to be shifting from offensive prospects to defensive prospects. Eighteen of twenty-four offers since the start of April have been on that side of the ball. If intentional, this would be a reversal from last year when Miami went strong for OOS prospects early in the process and then Florida kids late. Perhaps it was another lesson learned by our staff. So far, the results have been amazing or perhaps the winding down of the ncaa investigation is opening opportunities for us. Something to think about and discuss.

There has been nothing to suggest that we are not going as hard after the SoFl kids as we have been. We already got most of our fishing lines out in SOFl, so we are just waiting for our top targets here to take the bait. doesn't mean that we are calling or visiting these kids any more or less than we were before.

As for the OOS kids, it appears that Golden and staff have identified the positions (DT, DE, QB, LB) in which South Florida might not be able to provide us with
the quality of athlete (in depth) we are looking for so Golden and staff are looking OOS to provide us with a greater number of quality options there.

There has been nothing to suggest that we are not going as hard after the SoFl kids as we have been. We already got most of our fishing lines out in SOFl, so we are just waiting for our top targets here to take the bait. doesn't mean that we are calling or visiting these kids any more or less than we were before.

As for the OOS kids, it appears that Golden and staff have identified the positions (DT, DE, QB, LB) in which South Florida might not be able to provide us with
the quality of athlete (in depth) we are looking for so Golden and staff are looking OOS to provide us with a greater number of quality options there.

Destructobott.. I never said we weren't going hard after So. Fla. kids. We just went after them first this year. And I agree with everything else you point out. Chill.

Rashawn Scott says what up.

I'd love to see us get into Georgia more. Even if they aren't the highest rated kids, that state is right up there with Florida, Texas, and Cali in producing talent. Possibly the best.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Shayon Green says "what's good"?

It's obvious that we would recruit elsewhere. Not gonna get every sofla stud every year. Georgia, Louisiana, NJ, PA, NC, VA, and I am sure some of us would love to see us get out to Hawaii. This way when we start winning we have fans everywhere, and can filter out what we don't need, instead of chasing and hoping for the top talent.

Last edited:

Destructobott.. I never said we weren't going hard after So. Fla. kids. We just went after them first this year. And I agree with everything else you point out. Chill.

Chill? WTF are you talking about?

You said we have "SHIFTED from recruiting near home to Georgia and surrounding states". Doesn't the word "shifted" suggest that our attention and efforts have been diverted away from one place and more towards another?

Less of a shift and more time to actually get out and visit other regions with the end of spring football.

Advertisement
There's been no change in Golden's recruiting philosophy. Anyone thinking that there is has nothing better to do with their time.

Gonna be a long summer.

You said we have "SHIFTED from recruiting near home to Georgia and surrounding states". Doesn't the word "shifted" suggest that our attention and efforts have been diverted away from one place and more towards another?

Tex may **** the bed more often then not, or better said his pampers, but he's spot on here and you're being a douche to be douche... Lay of gramps, he actually stumbled upon some useful points for the first time in his expired time on this earth

Tex may **** the bed more often then not, or better said his pampers, but he's spot on here and you're being a douche to be douche... Lay of gramps, he actually stumbled upon some useful points for the first time in his expired time on this earth

So "being a douche" is disagreeing with his contention that we have shifted our focus away from our local kids and towards the OOS kids?

No, being a "douche" is referring to the guy as "gramps" while at the same time belittling his contribution to this board and the time and effort he's put into it (whether you find his contributions to be useful or not). I think you're probably the douche.

You're noticing the daily weather change and calling it a seasonal "shift". It is not. It is a cycle within a cycle, not having the intentionality or scope suggested.

Advertisement
Back