Random off-season question regarding the 87 fiesta bowl vs Penn State

Advertisement
As bad as Vinny played if he hands the ball to highsmith the canes win. Back then a few of the coaches used to come in to my arena every year. What I was told was that Vinny met a girl and his head was never screwed on straight the whole week leading up to the game. That final drive and play was running the ball and Vinny audibles that last play to a pass. His 5th INT and the rest is history. To this day I’m still not over this game.

I’m a young buck and wasn’t around for this game.

When this game gets brought up I have often times seen Canes fans suggest that Vinny intentionally threw the game.

Is this something that is generally accepted as fact by Canes fans, or just speculation?

I know it’s random and some of y’all old heads prob don’t wanna think about that game but I’ve always been curious.

I don't know what Canes fans you hang around with, but you need to find some better ones. Vinny did not "intentionally throw the game", it's insanity.

I realize he had a poor statistical day, but Ped State played great on defense that day as well. And that team was incredibly proud, if ANYONE had ANY credible evidence of Vinny doing that, I firmly believe that Vinny would be dead.

This nonsense about Vinny not playing well in big games is insane too. If anything, back then, Jimmy Johnson was always blamed for being a poor in-game coach. That's the truth, I was there, the headlines and discussions were ALWAYS about JJ being outcoached.

1985 home loss to #5 Florida, 35-23 - this was Vinny's first start. We lost our final 3 games in a row to end 1984, while the Gaytors won 9 in a row in 1984 to finish 9-1-1. Vinny went 24-40 for 278 yards, but Kerwin Bell went 20-28 for 248 yards and 4 TDs. We were actually up 21-20 and blew it in the 4th, including a Brett Perriman fumble on the Florida 10 that killed a scoring chance.

1985 road win over #3 Troy Aikman's and Jammin' Jamelle's Oklahoma Sooners, 27-14. Big game, big win. We were up 27-7 until Oklahoma scored the final TD halfway through the 4th. Vinny went 17-28 for 270 yards and 2 TDs.

1985 road win over #10 F$U, 35-27. Big game, big win. Vinny went 23-41 for 339 yards and 4 TDs.

1985-6 Sugar Bowl loss to #8 Tennessee, 35-7. Vinny went 23-44 for 237 yards with 1 TD against 3 INTs and 1 fumble. Tennessee blitzed 70% of the time, that is not a typo. Rough game.

1986 home win over #1 Oklahoma, 28-16. I was there for this one, it was pure insanity. We were up 21-3 in the third quarter, Vinny went 21-28 for 261 yards and 4 TDs. This game is widely considered to be Vinny's Heisman game, as he had two memorable bits. One was when he completed 14 straight passes. The other was his famous long scramble when Oklahoma nearly ripped the jersey off of him.

1986 home win over #20 FSU, 41-23. I was there for this one too, Vinny went 21-35 for 315 yards and 2 TDs.

1986-7 Fiasco Bowl loss to #2 Pedo State, 14-10. While we know the stats of this game, it should be noted that Vinny had not played since the November 15th game against Tulsa, as his scooter accident knocked him out of the regular season finale against East Carolina. Maybe Vinny shouldn't have played in the bowl game, but he did. People forget about that Ped State pedophile Jerry Sandusky instructing his defense to injure Vinny. At any rate, we had a shot to win the game late if we had just handed off, but Vinny was so desperate to redeem himself that he asked JJ to pass it instead.

But Vinny definitely DID NOT throw that bowl game. Vinny played well in all of the big games, he just got outplayed by Kerwin Bell in his first-ever start, he got blitzed into oblivion by Tennessee, and he was harassed all game by the Jerry Sandusky pedophiles. Out of 7 top games against top opponents, Vinny had comparable stats each game, just had a bunch of sacks against Tennessee in a bowl game and a bunch of picks against Pedo State in a bowl game.

I don't know what Canes fans you hang around with, but you need to find some better ones. Vinny did not "intentionally throw the game", it's insanity.

I realize he had a poor statistical day, but Ped State played great on defense that day as well. And that team was incredibly proud, if ANYONE had ANY credible evidence of Vinny doing that, I firmly believe that Vinny would be dead.

This nonsense about Vinny not playing well in big games is insane too. If anything, back then, Jimmy Johnson was always blamed for being a poor in-game coach. That's the truth, I was there, the headlines and discussions were ALWAYS about JJ being outcoached.

1985 home loss to #5 Florida, 35-23 - this was Vinny's first start. We lost our final 3 games in a row to end 1984, while the Gaytors won 9 in a row in 1984 to finish 9-1-1. Vinny went 24-40 for 278 yards, but Kerwin Bell went 20-28 for 248 yards and 4 TDs. We were actually up 21-20 and blew it in the 4th, including a Brett Perriman fumble on the Florida 10 that killed a scoring chance.

1985 road win over #3 Troy Aikman's and Jammin' Jamelle's Oklahoma Sooners, 27-14. Big game, big win. We were up 27-7 until Oklahoma scored the final TD halfway through the 4th. Vinny went 17-28 for 270 yards and 2 TDs.

1985 road win over #10 F$U, 35-27. Big game, big win. Vinny went 23-41 for 339 yards and 4 TDs.

1985-6 Sugar Bowl loss to #8 Tennessee, 35-7. Vinny went 23-44 for 237 yards with 1 TD against 3 INTs and 1 fumble. Tennessee blitzed 70% of the time, that is not a typo. Rough game.

1986 home win over #1 Oklahoma, 28-16. I was there for this one, it was pure insanity. We were up 21-3 in the third quarter, Vinny went 21-28 for 261 yards and 4 TDs. This game is widely considered to be Vinny's Heisman game, as he had two memorable bits. One was when he completed 14 straight passes. The other was his famous long scramble when Oklahoma nearly ripped the jersey off of him.

1986 home win over #20 FSU, 41-23. I was there for this one too, Vinny went 21-35 for 315 yards and 2 TDs.

1986-7 Fiasco Bowl loss to #2 Pedo State, 14-10. While we know the stats of this game, it should be noted that Vinny had not played since the November 15th game against Tulsa, as his scooter accident knocked him out of the regular season finale against East Carolina. Maybe Vinny shouldn't have played in the bowl game, but he did. People forget about that Ped State pedophile Jerry Sandusky instructing his defense to injure Vinny. At any rate, we had a shot to win the game late if we had just handed off, but Vinny was so desperate to redeem himself that he asked JJ to pass it instead.

But Vinny definitely DID NOT throw that bowl game. Vinny played well in all of the big games, he just got outplayed by Kerwin Bell in his first-ever start, he got blitzed into oblivion by Tennessee, and he was harassed all game by the Jerry Sandusky pedophiles. Out of 7 top games against top opponents, Vinny had comparable stats each game, just had a bunch of sacks against Tennessee in a bowl game and a bunch of picks against Pedo State in a bowl game.
Thanks for the detailed response!

Wish I got to see the era of the Canes you all did.

When this game gets brought up I have often times seen Canes fans suggest that Vinny intentionally threw the game.

Is this something that is generally accepted as fact by Canes fans, or just speculation?

I know it’s random and some of y’all old heads prob don’t wanna think about that game but I’ve always been curious.
The game was totally unlike Miami on the offensive side. Vinny was a **** good QB and 3 of those interceptions were right to those slow *** Pedo St. LB.

Advertisement
Some of those ints were to defenders with none of our players in the area.

And what's your ******* point? Are you another one of the nutjobs who is going to cite that as "evidence" that Vinny "threw the game"?

What about the long completion to Michael Irvin that Irvin fumbled?

Let's see...

INT 1 - threw into double coverage:
1657993802461.png

INT2 - Vinny slips, recovers, underthrows and is undercut by the LB:
1657994099513.png

1657994271882.png

INT 3 - LB undercuts the throw again:
1657994426394.png

INT 4 - LB undercuts the throw AGAIN:
1657994632843.png

INT 5 - horrible underthrow into quadruple coverage...
1657994980475.png

So the photographic evidence is pretty clear. NOT ONE SINGLE TIME was there a "none of our players in the area" situation. NOT ONCE.

Twice, Vinny threw into double-coverage (or worse). Three times, he got sniped by a linebacker jumping underneath the throw.

EVERY SINGLE TIME, there was an intended receiver in the area.

Please stop telling falsehoods.

As bad as Vinny played if he hands the ball to highsmith the canes win. Back then a few of the coaches used to come in to my arena every year. What I was told was that Vinny met a girl and his head was never screwed on straight the whole week leading up to the game. That final drive and play was running the ball and Vinny audibles that last play to a pass. His 5th INT and the rest is history. To this day I’m still not over this game.

WE ALSO MISSED A CHIP-SHOT FG THAT SHOULD HAVE HAD THE SCORE AT 14-13.

If we hit that earlier FG, then all we need is a FG at the end to win the game.

I used to be of this notion, but was assured that wasn’t the case.

However, in back to back National Championship games in which Miami was the overwhelming favorite, Vinny had 1 fumble, & 8 ints. @Crystal Ball

I didn’t become a fan until late ‘87, after Vinny left, but it’s unfathomable to think Miami being an overwhelming favorite in ‘85 & ‘86 seasons, where it was a forgone conclusion that we were going to be crowned Nat’l Champions (in ‘85, we needed PSU to lose to OU, which they did). It’s also unfathomable to see a QB who was considered the best in the game in back to back seasons shrink so mightily.

However, in 1986, several of those ints, there wasn’t a Cane anywhere in the vicinity, which is y many think he threw the game. I dunno, it’s purely speculative; however, it’s clear Miami is missing:

-85 (overwhelming favorite)
-86 (overwhelming favorite)
-88 (ref ***** job)
-00 (BCS ***** job)
-02 (ref ***** job)

Nat’l Titles in our cabinetry. Smh.

However, in 1986, several of those ints, there wasn’t a Cane anywhere in the vicinity, which is y many think he threw the game. I dunno, it’s purely speculative; however, it’s clear Miami is missing:

Please see the photographic evidence above.

Vinny's scooter accident impacted his lower body, he simply was not setting his feet properly and driving the ball like he had done earlier in the season. Nearly every INT is somewhat underthrown to the vicinity, allowing the ball to be undercut.

I believe 4, if not all 5, of the INTs were made by linebackers. Giftopolous and Conlan.

INT 1 - there is clearly a receiver in the vicinity
INT 2 - looks worse than it was, but it was definitely a LB jumping under the passing lane, that's why it LOOKS LIKE the WR was a lot farther away - IF NOT FOR THE UNDERCUT, THAT'S A COMPLETION
INT 3 - similar undercut, but with the WR closer to the ball, and if you watch the play, the LB has to jump
INT 4 - same exact thing as INT 3 - if you watch our TE, he keeps running, he just expects the ball to float down to him, but the LB climbed a ladder and snatched it
INT 5 - I will never make any sort of excuse or justification for this play, it's one of the worst things I've ever seen as a Miami Hurricanes fan (at least apart from horrendous calls by the refs) - Vinny threw into QUADRUPLE coverage, and this one never had a chance

Three of Vinny's picks were incredibly close, one of them looks a lot worse than it was, and one of them was an absolute disaster.

Advertisement
I used to be of this notion, but was assured that wasn’t the case.

However, in back to back National Championship games in which Miami was the overwhelming favorite, Vinny had 1 fumble, & 8 ints. @Crystal Ball

I didn’t become a fan until late ‘87, after Vinny left, but it’s unfathomable to think Miami being an overwhelming favorite in ‘85 & ‘86 seasons, where it was a forgone conclusion that we were going to be crowned Nat’l Champions (in ‘85, we needed PSU to lose to OU, which they did). It’s also unfathomable to see a QB who was considered the best in the game in back to back seasons shrink so mightily.

-85 (overwhelming favorite)
-86 (overwhelming favorite)
-88 (ref ***** job)
-00 (BCS ***** job)
-02 (ref ***** job)

Nat’l Titles in our cabinetry. Smh.

1657998337170.png

1657998393291.png

1657998626205.png

1657998651665.png

1657998696355.png

1657998730129.png

1657998773105.png

1657998817750.png

1657998845792.png

1657998651665.png

1657998875186.png

1657998922913.png

1657998845792.png

Oh, and for comparative purposes...

1657998968931.png

1657998997423.png

Last edited:
Advertisement
Total BS....It wasn't more severe....Testaverde just had an awful game....

Come on, man. I agree with you on the "wasn't more severe" part, at least by gameday, but he was recovering from the scooter accident the whole time. Hadn't played/practiced in 7 weeks in a full-contact setting, from November 15th to January 2nd.

He wasn't walking with ease when I saw him on campus in December. I'm not saying he was limping around in Tempe in January, but he definitely got rusty in those 7 weeks.

And I also agree that Geoff Torretta wasn't "the answer", though I PERSONALLY would have liked to have seen Walsh. But that Sandusky pedophile defense was going to try to injure ANY quarterback that day.

Last edited:
Highsmith had 18 rushes for 119.

They lost because Jimmy wouldn’t feed him more even though he was gashing them and Vinny was obviously off, for whatever reason.

Advertisement
By the way...

Did anyone notice that the University of Miami was National Champion FOR SIX CONSECUTIVE YEARS?!

Yes, it happened. At least by UCF standards, it happened.

Come on, man. I agree with you on the "wasn't more severe" part, at least by gameday, but he was recovering from the scooter accident the whole time. Hadn't played/practiced in 7 weeks in a full-contact setting, from November 15th to January 2nd.

He wasn't walking with ease when I saw him on campus in December. I'm not saying he was limping around in Tempe in January, but he definitely got rusty in those 7 weeks.

And I also agree that Geoff Torretta wasn't "the answer", though I PERSONALLY would have liked to have seen Walsh. But that Sandusky pedophile defense was going to try to injure ANY quarterback that day.
I was around Greentree plenty in 86....Chuck was a GA with Tubberville that yr. I saw Vinny plenty that yr.....I don't believe the scooter mishap was the reason why he threw 5 ints....he practiced plenty the 2 weeks leading up to the game. And practiced against a much better D than Penn St as well.

Allegations of gambling debt.

All the conversations I recalled over the years talked about Vinny's head not being in it; that he'd recently gotten dumped by his lady, relationship trouble, etc.

Either way, should've pounded the rock more with Alonzo Highsmith late and not put it on erratic Vinny ... but as other's have said, he was the Heisman-winner and could've just as easily have thrown a game-winning touchdown late, instead of another pick.

Canes should've won 17-14 even with that horrible outing.

Side note, good riddance to Sun Devil Stadium and that era of the Fiasco Bowl.

Lost to UCLA in 1984 season.... Penn State in 1986 season... skunked by Arizona for 1993 season and robbed in 2002 season. Only win I ever saw in person out there was 47-10 over Arizona State in 1994—a young Jake Plummer for ASU and a lot of the guys who went on to play for that great 1996 undefeated team they had (Pat Tillman, Keith Poole, etc.)

Advertisement
Back