Random off-season question regarding the 87 fiesta bowl vs Penn State

Crystal Ball

Actual fking Legend
I’m a young buck and wasn’t around for this game.

When this game gets brought up I have often times seen Canes fans suggest that Vinny intentionally threw the game.

Is this something that is generally accepted as fact by Canes fans, or just speculation?

I know it’s random and some of y’all old heads prob don’t wanna think about that game but I’ve always been curious.

Advertisement

When this game gets brought up I have often times seen Canes fans suggest that Vinny intentionally threw the game.

Is this something that is generally accepted as fact by Canes fans, or just speculation?

I know it’s random and some of y’all old heads prob don’t wanna think about that game but I’ve always been curious.
5 picks in the Championship game will have 99% scratching their heads and trying to figure out what the heck happened. Vinny can't prove he didn't do it, so with some that reason will stick.

Penn State intercepts Miami for the national title by the New York Times Is one article you can look up.

Advertisement
Advertisement

I've never read anywhere that suggested he threw the game.

The thing is, he lost the game that would have given us the national title in the 86' Sugar bowl against TN, where he totally choked game against an inferior Vol team. Because of that Sugar bowl game, it never crossed my mind that he threw the Fiesta Bowl.

Additionally, there aren't many QB's that could match his physical assets, but still, he didn't have a legendary career, because he would choke when it counted. All of this = I never thought he threw the game and still don't. He just didn't have "it".

The very next year, the opposite of Vinny came along in Steve Walsh (my fave CFB QB of alltime). Steve didn't have Vinny's size, frame, footspeed, and certainly not his arm strength, but he did have ice in his veins, and that ice was the difference needed for a natty.

Last edited:

The thing is, he lost the game that would have given us the national title in the 86' Sugar bowl against TN, where he totally choked in that game against an inferior Vol team. Because of that Sugar bowl game, it never crossed my mind that he threw the Fiesta Bowl.

Additionally, there aren't many QB's that could match his physical assets, but still, he didn't have a legendary career, because he would choke when it counted. All of this = I never thought he threw the game and still don't. He just didn't have "it".

The very next year, the opposite of Vinny came along in Steve Walsh (my fave CFB QB of alltime). Steve didn't have Vinny's size, frame, footspeed, and certainly not his arm strength, but he did have ice in his veins, and that ice was the difference needed for a natty.
Interesting, thanks for your input!

Sorry guys, but I was at the Tennessee Sugar Bowl, the Penn State Fiesta Bowl and at the FSU game in Tally the following year (89) when we fumbled at the goal line 3 times. I take total responsibility for all three losses. My friends wouldn’t let me go to any more bowl games after that 3 year stretch!

Advertisement
Sorry guys, but I was at the Tennessee Sugar Bowl, the Penn State Fiesta Bowl and at the FSU game in Tally the following year (89) when we fumbled at the goal line 3 times. I take total responsibility for all three losses. My friends wouldn’t let me go to any more bowl games after that 3 year stretch!
Thank you, that must of taken some courage to confess. In that spirit, my youngest son and I have been to a half dozen games together, including the last in the OB, and the only win we saw was Bethune-Cookmen. His brothers asked us not to go to any more games together.

I’ll never forget that game. I watched it in disgust. I‘ve heard the Vinny rumors, but, truth be told, I have always blamed Jimmy. We had the ball on the PS 5 yd line with something like 45 seconds to go and a time out left to use. Highsmith was having a great game. We had overall out gained PS by about 250 yds in the game. Jimmy either called or at least had to approve Vinny throwing the ball three straight times (the last one of course had to be a passing play), even though Vinny was having the absolute worst game he had played all year. Terrible play calling by Miami at the end cost us the Championship that year.

The thing is, he lost the game that would have given us the national title in the 86' Sugar bowl against TN, where he totally choked game against an inferior Vol team. Because of that Sugar bowl game, it never crossed my mind that he threw the Fiesta Bowl.

The whole team choked the Tennessee Sugar Bowl game. The Vols blitzed all game and the team and coaches had no answer.

Last edited:
Advertisement

I Seem to recall that Vinny had had a scooter accident, which they tried to downplay, but it was more severe than most knew. He didnt fully recover and had one of his worst games.

Advertisement
Back