Rambo / Bowl Game

Don't get me wrong, I understand their decision and basically agree with it. I'd do the same.

But as a Miami Hurricane, I wish they'd play, absolutely.
eh im for the kid balling out in the league. its the Tony the tiger bowl were talking about lol. no one is watching that and no one is gonna be there in El Paso. if it were a big bowl (playoffs) then id be mad, but it isn't and it doesn't matter in the end. I look at bowls as more developmental opps for younger kids as a transition into next year. lets be real, we cant be mad at Rambo for not playing when Mario isn't coaching Oregons bowl bc he took another job or Rhett not being the OC one last time in this bowl bc he took another gig. they're all mercenaries whether they're transfers or not (coaches too).

Advertisement
Did u read the article or no? If not, then I suggest u read it where it clearly defines how revenue is generated, the amount of money each bowl is, and how it’s divided. So before u make assumptions, READ.

Hello, friend. Yes I READ the article. I read how they mentioned that bowl revenue is paid to the conference, and not the team, which is exactly what I wrote.

I also read how they COMPLETELY failed to mention that travel and other expenses come off the #. Process that, because its a massive, massive part of the equation.

I also read where they intimated (without really sticking their necks all the way out) that the winning team somehow gets a bigger cut than the losing team. I have never, ever heard of this, and unless you can provide some sort of concrete proof or at least confirmation, I don't believe it. If I am wrong, I'd be happy to know so as I like learning and being informed.

Look, I can play "internet" too:

Here’s a dispatch from the fringes of bowl ****: The Indiana Hoosiers, who played in a bowl game in Santa Clara, Calif. against the Utah Utes last December, sold less than 10 percent of their allotted tickets and technically lost money going to the game before the Big Ten conference intervened. According to a report from the Bloomington Herald-Times, the Hoosiers received a payout of $2,212,500 for playing in the game, but racked up $2,500,000 in expenses.

Here is another one, a bit old, but its significant as its OSU and the ROSE BOWL:

The $18.5 million [Ohio State received for making the Rose Bowl last January] went to the Big Ten, where it was added to a pool of bowl revenue that was then sliced into 12 shares - one for each team, one for the league office. That still left Ohio State with a tidy $2.2 million to spend, which the Buckeyes did. Ohio State's team travel costs were $352,727. Unsold tickets ran the school a cool $144,710. The bill to transport, feed and lodge the band and cheerleaders came to $366,814. Throw in entertainment, gifts and sundry other expenses and the Buckeyes lost $79,597.

Winning or losing a meaningless bowl game really only affects the legacy of the season and coaching records. No one wants to have a bowl losing streak (like, oh, say Miami) but there are no economic benefits for the school. If you are playing for a top 10 ranking, or 10 or 12 wins, or playing a marquee opponent, I think the kids should play. But the Sun Bowl against the Fighting Pullman's? I support the kids right to make a decision to either play or move on to NFL prep. The risk of injury can cost them their financial lives.

I understand it, too, I just wouldn’t. I’m a team guy, and that’s how I’ve always been in sports, business, friends. If u ride for me then I ride for u.

so apply that to the coaches that wont be coaching the bowl bc they took other gigs (Mario for Oregon, Rhett for Miami, etc.). if it were the playoffs, id bet they'd all play and coach even if they took a new job. the bowls don't mean anything anymore since the invention of the playoff. since only the top 4 will ever have a chance and there is no splitting of the championship like back in the day, what's the diff? get the younger WRs some good reps in borderline Mexico and build their confidence for next year

Advertisement
Bro, imma just put it like this:

This yrs’ bowl game we play is a $4.5m purse
Last yr’s bowl payout was $6.1m (Cheez It)
2019 Bowl payout was $2.2m (Independence)
2018 Bowl payout was $4.3m (Pinstripe)
Since we were part of a NY6 bowl in 2017, we were part of the revenue pool.

So just looking from 2018-20, that was $12.6m of revenue from lost bowl games. That revenue would be shared among the 14 members of the ACC, so u’re talking about an add’l, minimum, of $900k in 3 yrs LOST b/c we didn’t win a “meaningless” bowl game. Lord knows how much revenue we’ve lost from 2007-2020! Furthermore, this is y I’ve been harping on getting to NY6 bowl games. It’s a huge deal, revenue wise.

So yeah, I’m feeling a little cheated when a Portal kid comes here for a season, we help their draft stock, then they skips out on us to help us put money towards the school.
Bro... I'm gonna talk to Mario about giving you a much needed consultant's position... and working 100% remotely from 3K miles away. Go Canes!

That “exploits” their labor? Lol.

These young men r afforded a higher education & an opportunity to be apart of a 1% population b/c of a ball. Even if they don’t go pro, a lot of them get to venture into other successful paths b/c of a door that’s opened to them, not b/c they did well or worked hard in school, but b/c of a ball. R u kidding me right now? For the ones that do go pro, they will make more $$ than most of on here collectively combined in one season.

So yeah, miss me w/ all this. Again, if this school is affording a player an opportunity to rehabilitate their careers & draft stocks to garnish them generational wealth, then y can’t they play ONE game to help this school generate revenue for the future?

This all about “me” society has turned mentalities up side down. I’m of the mind set that players should get a piece of the financial pie, that’s only fair. I been said kids should get paid for schools selling their jerseys or memorabilia as I said my Alma Mater sell my boy’s Jared Weaver jersey & T shirt w/ no cash money records coming to him, but miss me w/ that other rhetoric u talking, homie. Again, I’m talking strictly bout 1 yr portal kids.
Good points dude... I agree that there's a lot to consider in order to get an accurate and just take on this issue before any implementation.

so apply that to the coaches that wont be coaching the bowl bc they took other gigs (Mario for Oregon, Rhett for Miami, etc.). if it were the playoffs, id bet they'd all play and coach even if they took a new job. the bowls don't mean anything anymore since the invention of the playoff. since only the top 4 will ever have a chance and there is no splitting of the championship like back in the day, what's the diff? get the younger WRs some good reps in borderline Mexico and build their confidence for next year

Which is y they r trying to make a reform to ESD. That’s the result of it; coaches r bolting to their new job before season ends b/c they gotta hit the ground running before ESD.

Advertisement
The attitude of none NY6 being meaningless has put us in this position. The team loses 1 game and have gone on losing streaks almost every year for the last decade. 2021 losing 4 out of 6, 2020 losing the last 2 (bowl game), 2019 losing the last 3 (bowl game), 2018 4 game losing streak plus bowl, 2017 losing last 3 (bowl game). We've had 1 10 game winning season in forever, our team should be all juiced up to go out with a victory, as UAB did against BYU. These bowl games aren't beneath us because we haven't been elite in forever, I can see Clemson not coming out excited in their bowl game but definitely not Miami. Hope it changes in the future.

this doesn't include expenses

We’re talking revenue; period. Every team winning a bowl game goes in to the pot. So the notion of “meaningless” is not the case. The article clearly broke down how the $$ game has changed over the past yrs. It takes in consideration how travel expenses have to be considered, but that’s no never mind when u’re talking about winning & it adds money. Idgaf if we cleared $100k afterwards; the fact is that $100k x 10+ yrs worth of bowl losses. That chit adds up.

I also read where they intimated (without really sticking their necks all the way out) that the winning team somehow gets a bigger cut than the losing team. I have never, ever heard of this, and unless you can provide some sort of concrete proof or at least confirmation, I don't believe it. If I am wrong, I'd be happy to know so as I like learning and being informed.
Agree 💯.
There’s no way the bowl payout goes only to the winner.

Hello, friend. Yes I READ the article. I read how they mentioned that bowl revenue is paid to the conference, and not the team, which is exactly what I wrote.

I also read how they COMPLETELY failed to mention that travel and other expenses come off the #. Process that, because its a massive, massive part of the equation.

Here’s a dispatch from the fringes of bowl ****: The Indiana Hoosiers, who played in a bowl game in Santa Clara, Calif. against the Utah Utes last December, sold less than 10 percent of their allotted tickets and technically lost money going to the game before the Big Ten conference intervened. According to a report from the Bloomington Herald-Times, the Hoosiers received a payout of $2,212,500 for playing in the game, but racked up $2,500,000 in expenses.

Here is another one, a bit old, but its significant as its OSU and the ROSE BOWL:

The $18.5 million [Ohio State received for making the Rose Bowl last January] went to the Big Ten, where it was added to a pool of bowl revenue that was then sliced into 12 shares - one for each team, one for the league office. That still left Ohio State with a tidy $2.2 million to spend, which the Buckeyes did. Ohio State's team travel costs were $352,727. Unsold tickets ran the school a cool $144,710. The bill to transport, feed and lodge the band and cheerleaders came to $366,814. Throw in entertainment, gifts and sundry other expenses and the Buckeyes lost $79,597.

Winning or losing a meaningless bowl game really only affects the legacy of the season and coaching records. No one wants to have a bowl losing streak (like, oh, say Miami) but there are no economic benefits for the school. If you are playing for a top 10 ranking, or 10 or 12 wins, or playing a marquee opponent, I think the kids should play. But the Sun Bowl against the Fighting Pullman's? I support the kids right to make a decision to either play or move on to NFL prep. The risk of injury can cost them their financial lives.

Lol; so u posted an article from 2010? Lol. So I guess u missed the point how the CFP changed everything, right, including the amount of $ Lol. Then u post how Indiana lost money b/c it only sold 672 tickets of the 7k it was allowed?! Lol. What’s funny is they STILL almost broke even w/ a botched ticket game. Come on bro, be better.

This is a better explanation of the wild tale of bowl games costing teams money. I vividly recall this story, but it breaks it down further. Also, from reading this, I can see why ND stays Independent in football.

Last edited:
Advertisement

1. Bowls are nonsense from an economic sense. At best you break even, but usually you lose.
2. Players should play in bowl games because it's a game their team plays. You don't sit out the Lower Boise St. game on September 17th, you shouldn't sit out the Count Chocula bowl on Dec. 17th.
3. I understand why kids skip bowl games and can't fault the logic. But it's selfish and the whole point of team sports is, well, team. I believe the world in general could use a little more of an "us" perspective instead of so much "me".
4. I'd be against the portal if coaches and schools weren't completely free to do as they please. Teams tell players to move on all the time, why can't players choose to leave when they want? It's just not fair that the kid has to stay at a school when he doesn't want to, but the school can tell him to leave if they want to.

Lol; so u posted an article from 2010? Lol. So I guess u missed the point how the CFP changed everything, right, including the amount of $ Lol. Then u post how Indiana lost money b/c it only sold 672 tickets of the 7k it was allowed?! Lol. What’s funny is they STILL almost broke even w/ a botched ticket game. Come on bro, be better.
I would be surprised if Miami breaks even this year. They are going to sell like 19 tickets to that raggedy-*** game, and travel will cost a ton. Extra practice is literally the only reason to even go.

Of course I'll watch the stupid thing on TV, but I'm a moron.

I would be surprised if Miami breaks even this year. They are going to sell like 19 tickets to that raggedy-*** game, and travel will cost a ton. Extra practice is literally the only reason to even go.

Of course I'll watch the stupid thing on TV, but I'm a moron.

We may or may not; and u’re right, the extra practices is a big incentive…but I would interested to see our pay vs our expenses. All I’m saying is these bowl games payouts today vs yesterday r way different & can add to the overall pot shared in our conference.

Advertisement
We may or may not; and u’re right, the extra practices is a big incentive…but I would interested to see our pay vs our expenses. All I’m saying is these bowl games payouts today vs yesterday r way different & can add to the overall pot shared in our conference.
I hope so, because this looks a lot like the Olympics. You bust your @ss to get them, and end up losing money in the end. Especially if you pay the expenses but split the profit.

There was a time when I was still so hyped about football I watched even our most meaningless bowl games just to get my fix. After the last 5 years, I really don't care. I'll watch again this year, because just like @kryptonite, I too am a moron.

Honestly, if they were to play against another one of the Florida teams, they'd probably get a lot more people in the stands.

There was a time when I was still so hyped about football I watched even our most meaningless bowl games just to get my fix. After the last 5 years, I really don't care. I'll watch again this year, because just like @kryptonite, I too am a moron.

Honestly, if they were to play against another one of the Florida teams, they'd probably get a lot more people in the stands.

Match ups play a big part; I don’t get how The Bowl Committees pit UCF v UF & not us vs UF. That would’ve been a huge draw just off strength of rivalry.

We’re talking revenue; period. Every team winning a bowl game goes in to the pot. So the notion of “meaningless” is not the case. The article clearly broke down how the $$ game has changed over the past yrs. It takes in consideration how travel expenses have to be considered, but that’s no never mind when u’re talking about winning & it adds money. Idgaf if we cleared $100k afterwards; the fact is that $100k x 10+ yrs worth of bowl losses. That chit adds up.

Adding an edit: I read your sports economic link a few posts above. No kidding. Its saying exactly what I wrote. Conferences pool revenue. We make more from Clemson going to the CFP than we do for our annual crap bowl.

Ok, back to my original response: I posted more than one article. But you only mention the 2010 one. If you are trying to litigate this by trying to out-lawyer me, I promise you, that's a bad tactic.:) But your argument is collapsing.

The article from 2010 was because it was about a prominent bowl and a major revenue program so I thought it added additional color.

Anyway, here is a 2020 article to make you happy:

According to USA Today, in 2017, schools ate a combined $25 million in unsold ticket costs to play in bowl games. The University of Connecticut’s 2011 Fiesta Bowl appearance is among the most well-documented instances. According to the Connecticut Post, UConn, a public college, lost nearly $1.8 million on the game. Largely because the 25th ranked Huskies were expected to lose to #9 Oklahoma and because the game was across the country near Phoenix, UConn sold just 2,771 tickets out of the 17,500 the NCAA demanded.

The Indiana Hoosiers lost money in back-to-back years on bowl games, after thousands of their tickets to the Pinstripe Bowl and the Foster Farms Bowl went unsold in 2015 and 2016. It has even gotten to the point where some teams refuse to play in particular bowl games because they don't see enough upside in competing. This was one reason Missouri decided against playing in a bowl in 2015 when they went 5-7. In 2012, the 9-3 Louisiana Tech Bulldogs were invited to the Independence Bowl but held out for a more prominent game with a higher payout and ended up going to no bowl at all. There are, on average, 10 to 20 teams per season that lose money on bowl games each year.

The CFP is a different animal. This conversation, that you started, is about kids playing or opting out of second tier bowls. You're playing a straw game. And again, the CFP money goes to the participating team's conference, to be split 12 or 14 (or however many teams there are) ways. Stay on topic. But, anyway:

Again, please show the board where teams get more money for actually wining a bowl game vs. just appearing. Because that's the cornerstone, floor, roof, and walls of your entire argument and more than one of us believe that its not correct. Thank you.

Go Canes!

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back