Rad on Increasing Attendance

Advertisement
I feel all that, but we are trying to get 65000-75000 fans to come out for 6-8 games a year in a state of well over 20,000,000 people and local tri-county area of 6,000,000!

I think I know where you are going with the loaded question thing though.

Mark Cuban talked about these things. He complained about the NBA pushing so hard for a global audience, but not marketing properly to fans in places like upstate New York.

Marketing and sales is psychological and emotional. The first step to selling is ACTUALLY MAKING AN OFFER. The second step is actually believing you can make sale. After that it’s just refining the process. We can get this done.
Dude my pet peeve is JRS (or whatever they want to call it for now).

Take out the big games. We’ve always sold out big games. When we’re good and there’s a big opponent coming in, we’ll sell out - that’s not the problem. The issue is those middling conference (or non conference) games, which was my premise.

***sigh*** OK I’ll do the math for you. Two sellouts at 65K. Seven home games in 2017 averaging 58k. So that’s 406,000 for 7 games. Take away 130,000 for the two marquee games, and you have 276,000 left over. Now multiply that by five and you get 55,000. In 2017 we averaged 55,000 per game for every other game with the exception of Notre Dame and Virginia Tech.

55,000 per game for the non-marquee games.

Talk to me.

Needs to rock some tunes between plays and during timeouts for a start. And get rid of the kiss cam. Get some life in that place.

Advertisement
Winning can only do so much. Look at some of the crowds in 2001. 39,000 for Rutgers. 36,000 for Troy. 44,000 for WVU. 31,000 for Temple. I don't care how bad Temple was, it's pathetic that they only drew 31,000 when they were 6-0, ranked #1. They only drew 52,000 for the game against #15 Syracuse in 2001.

So, yes, we'll always get big crowds for marquee games, and winning will solve some problems, but they're talking about increasing attendance other ways.

I'm so sick of the "there are a million things to do in Miami excuse." It's 6-7 Saturdays a year. People can sacrifice a day. Fans of other schools do it. Do you really think all of UF's fans live in Gainesville? People always say "there's nothing to do in Gainesville, of course they get 90,000 fans." No, their fans travel from Tampa and Miami too, where there are plenty of things to do (yes, I know they are more students, alumni, etc., but there are plenty of UM fans in South Florida to get at least 50K per game or more).

Absolutely!!! Also you can’t really have a big event if you’re playing the likes Connecticut State, Wagner, and these other **** schools that we have no business playing. I’m fine with the local Florida G5 and FCS schools as they’ll at least draw the Florida crowd but we’re definitely going to need to start scheduling more home big time games.

Winning can only do so much. Look at some of the crowds in 2001. 39,000 for Rutgers. 36,000 for Troy. 44,000 for WVU. 31,000 for Temple. I don't care how bad Temple was, it's pathetic that they only drew 31,000 when they were 6-0, ranked #1. They only drew 52,000 for the game against #15 Syracuse in 2001.

So, yes, we'll always get big crowds for marquee games, and winning will solve some problems, but they're talking about increasing attendance other ways.

I'm so sick of the "there are a million things to do in Miami excuse." It's 6-7 Saturdays a year. People can sacrifice a day. Fans of other schools do it. Do you really think all of UF's fans live in Gainesville? People always say "there's nothing to do in Gainesville, of course they get 90,000 fans." No, their fans travel from Tampa and Miami too, where there are plenty of things to do (yes, I know they are more students, alumni, etc., but there are plenty of UM fans in South Florida to get at least 50K per game or more).

Agree on the first part and something I’ve been saying for some time. History shows that winning only does so much. Something drastic has to change with the game day experience if you want to average 60-65k for average teams.

Advertisement
Meh, that statement is literally the least he could do. Not knocking the guy, but even BJ could say the right things most of the time. Let’s set the bar a little higher than what he says.

Advertisement

perfectly said

Get rid of the horrible hype guy talking in-between every stop in the game..... WORST THING EVER... id leave games feeling like i saw more of him during the game then the actual football team.

I think it’s all about building your fan base. Winning will do that to a degree but…South Florida is South Florida and there are better things to do if you’re not winning. The fans that come to the games because we have a winning team will abandon the team for something else if we’re not winning. The key to long term success, in my opinion, is to grow the fanbase organically from the ground up until you create a large rabid fan base that will support the team whether they win or not. And how do we do this? I would create a list of all the organizations that serve underprivileged youth and families in South Florida. At about 48 hours before game time I would offer some of these organizations any unsold tickets for FREE to that game. This would accomplish multiple goals: 1. You’d fill up your stadium for all home games and 2. you’d get kids to the games that might never be able to go otherwise and you’ll create lifelong fans. This will create fans who’ll watch our games and support our team through and through and will not abandon the team for some other South Florida diversion during our down years. You’d also be doing something good for these kids. This would not be a quick fix to the attendance problem but would put in place the foundation for long term success. I think it would also wed this team to the South Florida community and make it even more attractive for some of South Florida’s best high school talent to stay home and play for the Canes.

Advertisement
Yeah….win for a change
Win, create a decent fan experience(Which Hard Rock does, it's not miserable to sit in that stadium, it's nice most of the time. That said, you have to have a consistently compelling product. People in Miami will NEVER come and sit around for pure crap, because they don't have to. The typical Miami fan isn't an alum, and unlike the typical factory school, where that isn't the case, the typical UM fan sees the program as an entertainment product, nothing more. It needs to be entertaining.

I'd love to see Rad and his staff start reaching out to other schools and scheduling some legit OOC matchups. That will help sell tickets too. There should always be at least one legit OOC matchup at Hard Rock EVERY YEAR. It doesn't have to be a big name, but it hasn't to be something people would want to watch. The Rent A Victim should be an FCS program that brings entertainment value. That's why adding FAMU or BCU back to the schedule is important. No one gives a **** about Central Connecticut.

Winning is a no brainer, but what else? Advertising? Food trucks in the tailgate area? I would love to see more replays, and more nationwide scores.

Nailed it.

This is what bothers me about the soft Palm Beach pvssies on this board who whine and threaten to stop going to Miami games if we move the stadium THIRTEEN MILES south.

Nobody lives in Gainesville. Nobody lives in Tallahassee. When both of those schools are rolling, they have 60 or 70 thousand fans who drive FOR HOURS to get to the games.

I hope all the Palm Beach pvssies follow through on their threats to stay home when Miami builds a stadium on NW 7th or at Tropical. Then we can fill their seats with local kids taking advantage of Burger King ticket offers. I'd rather have fans that love UM than those who boycott the games because of having to drive 13 extra miles.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back