R.I.P. JoJo Nicolas

Awful, sad, I cannot imagine. As a father of two young boys this is absolutely your worst nightmare. RIP #29

Advertisement
Tonight, the family of former Miami Hurricanes safety JoJo Nicolas announced that he passed away from injuries he sustained in a car accident yesterday morning at around 5:00pm. The brief statement his family gave at 8:00pm was given by his brother, Abner Davis. He was surrounded by his family and Al Golden as the statement was made to the media. Joseph 'JoJo' Nicolas was just 24 years old.

1.jpg

I'm just a fan. I never knew JoJo Nicolas. All I ever knew of him was the guy who wore orange and green every Saturday. So in a sad time like this, it's hard for me to find the right words when discussing a young man who was just recently taken from us. I know he was so much more than a football player, but that's all I know so bear with me. I can't help but think back to his times as a Miami Hurricane.

The first time I ever heard of JoJo Nicolas was in the fall of 2006 on the Grassy premium boards. At the time people were discussing who our targets at safety would be. After securing a verbal commitment from Damien Berry, JoJo was looked at as the guy to complement him as a strong safety. JoJo was a standout 2-way player for Homestead high school, playing safety and wide receiver for the Broncos.

422.gif

During his senior year there, Miami was going through a terrible season. It included such things as a brawl, a murdered player, blowouts, and a fired coach. The turmoil caused JoJo to commit to Rutgers in December, but then he flipped to Miami on signing day to be a part of Randy Shannon's first class in 2007. After redshirting in 2007, he spent most of his first 2 years playing on special teams. Then in 2010 he started ten games at safety for a defense that ranked 5th in passing yards allowed (158.2). JoJo wasn't the biggest playmaker to come through Coral Gables, but he did contribute as an upperclassmen and became a leader as a senior.

He was also probably the easiest Hurricane player to ever root for, especially when it came to light that his son was born 4 months prematurely in the summer of 2011. Joseph Jr. was born on July 17, 2011 and weighed just 1 pound 4 ounces. He died a month later on August 19, 2011. JoJo had all that personal stuff going on in his life during fall camp of his senior year, and it all happened 3 days after the Shapiro nonsense was just starting to come to light. Any normal person would've been broken and shut things down. It would've been completely understandable too. Instead JoJo decided he would step up and he became a vocal team leader on a team that was desperately in need one.

[video=youtube;WcDNHgYKKAE]www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcDNHgYKKAE[/video]

After disappointing opener against Maryland where Miami was without several starters, JoJo was said to have made a speech to the team about putting the loss behind them and moving forward to the Ohio State game. That's exactly what the team did. The Hurricanes jumped out to a quick 14-0 lead against Ohio State in the 1st quarter. The Buckeyes couldn't do anything on offense as Braxton Miller was a true freshman and the other guy at quarterback was a dumpster fire. Late in the 1st quarter Ohio State finally put a drive together and crossed the 50 yard line with Miller under center. Later on Miller dropped back to pass, Sean Spence was able to tip it, and JoJo was there for the errant deflection.

423.gif

415.jpg

The play was another in a series of nut punches to Ohio State in a game that was never really in doubt. The game gave Miami its first win under Al Golden.

A few weeks later Miami was preparing for their game against Georgia Tech. It was on the heels of Miami's first ever win in Chapel Hill since joining the ACC. JoJo was coming off of a career game where he recorded 10 tackles (career high). When playing an option team like the Yellow Jackets it's helpful to get out to a big lead early and force them to pass more. So when Miami went 3 and out to start the game UM's defense needed to get off the field. On Georgia Tech's first offensive play from scrimmage their QB air-mailed a pass right to JoJo.

424.gif

The ensuing drive gave Miami a 7-0 lead. Both teams traded punts after that until the 2nd quarter, where some guy for Georgia Tech botched a punt. The return man fumbled the ball and Mike James kicked it towards the endzone. JoJo was there for the easy scoop and score.

425.gif

1.jpg

That touchdown gave Miami a 14-0 lead and it was all the points they would need as they won 24-7. It was the only time Miami won back to back games that season.

These were my fondest memories JoJo. Like I said earlier I never knew him, and I realize he was so much more than just a player. He was also a son, a brother, a father, and a friend to many people. My heart goes out to all those people who knew him a **** of a lot more (and better) than I did.

Thank you.

Sticky this write up for JoJo.

Changed my avatar to honor JoJo and it will remain so for the forseeable future. R.I.P. to a man that most of us did not know personally, but will be in our hearts continuously.

R.I.P., JoJo. I know Jerome, Sean, Marcus and Bryan welcomed you with open arms to the light. You will never be forgotten in our hearts and minds. May God comfort your family and friends through this saddest of times.

Advertisement
Very sad. Maybe not the most athletic but he always went all out for the U on saturdays and i love him for that. Prayers with the nicolas family

RIP Jojo sad to see u go but know your in a better place another Cane in haven for gods Defense

Real talk, I'll not upset or sad at all.

The Lord called Jojo Sr. home to be with Jojo Jr. Praise the Lord, for he is good. For the spiritually inclined, I'd refer you to Romans 8:28.

Enjoy your son Jojo.

Advertisement
But it was JoJo Nicolas who spoke to the team following the loss to Boston College where the seniors finally had a moment.

“Our post game moment was when JoJo spoke to the whole team and let them know how much he loves and appreciates us, loves and appreciates his teammates and how happy he was to be here for five years," Harris said. "It’s like he just wanted to make sure that the guys next year understand how important this is and that they can’t let this happen and how they have to keep on fighting to become a better team and just listen to the coaches and feel like their plans will work."

Nicolas just wanted to get the younger players to understand the time is now for them. It’s their time now to lead and try to get this program back to where it is supposed to be.

“It was a passing of the torch to make sure this kind of season never happens again, take advantage of the chances they have here, like the coaches and becoming a team and playing together,” Nicolas said. “It was after coach Golden had spoken and I asked him if I could say something to the team. Everybody just listened and took heed to what I was saying. I hope it got through and we’ll see in due time.”

**** man. Real leader. RIP kid.

Advertisement
Advertisement
"MIAMI, Fla. -- Former Miami Hurricanes defensive back JoJo Nicolas died Wednesday after suffering injuries from an early Tuesday morning car accident.

Nicolas was 24 years old.

"The entire University of Miami family mourns the loss of JoJo Nicolas who passed away earlier this evening," Miami AD Blake James said. "JoJo was a valued member of our community, our school and our football program, and his loss is devastating to everyone he touched. On behalf of the University, I send our condolences and thoughts and prayers to JoJo's family, friends and teammates. He will forever be a part of The U."

A four-year letterwinner for the Miami Hurricanes from 2007-11, he was the recipient of Miami's 2011 Melching Leadership Award at the team's banquet at the end of the season. As a senior in 2011, he recorded 66 tackles and two interceptions.

"The University of Miami community has suffered a deep loss, with the passing of JoJo Nicolas," head coach Al Golden said. "For all of us who were fortunate to know JoJo--to coach him, teach him, play alongside him or simply to befriend him--we will forever carry his memory with us. Our prayers go out to his family and his loved ones, and he will always be a cherished member of our family."

Nicolas, a 2011 graduate of the University of Miami, signed with the New York Giants as an undrafted free agent in 2012. "

A **** shame way to young. I was able to get one of his gloves a couple spring games ago. I might have to wear it all this season...R.I.P JoJo #29

RIP JoJo, He took the time after the usf game and chatted it up with my kids and made their **** day !! He even gave them his gloves which we're going to put in some kind of frame with a picture to hang on our wall in our sports room.

Advertisement
Back