Quinn Ewers de-coms from Texas

Advertisement
We have never in the years we’ve struggled(similar to Texas record wise the past decade) lost a quarterback prospect like this. This kid is being compared to Trevor Lawrence. It’s gotta hurt bad man. Those OL twins hurt for sure big time. But this is painful cause this kid will be really good. I’m praying he doesn’t go to Clemson

Bama also took those OL twins from Texas. 5 star OT and 4 star C. Their granddad, dad, and older brother all played or play at Texas.

That is a different level of hurt.
Forgot about them. Yeah, they're hurting Texas pretty good this cycle even if they don't land Ewers.

Advertisement
Who cares where he commits to now. Bama OSU and Clemson all have 5 star freshman qbs on campus right now, that’ll be a huge factor by the time he signs.

Miami is 2-3 qbs away from being in it for guys like this. We gotta win and show we can put guys in the league before the #1 qb types come here. That’s why I’m down to ride the transfer portal. The next unhappy 5 star will shake loose soon and we have to be ready to get him.

Advertisement
Texas boards are out for blood right now - Tom Herman's blood. some posters who seem to be acknowledged boosters are saying there's alot going on behind the scenes right now and win or lose this week vs. Oklahoma St he is gone.... Seems like the buyout is already raised by the boosters - if they keep him until Dec 1 it drops by $5 million but the feeling is they don't care...

Of course their primary "want" for the next coach is Urban Meyer. some of those booster people have said he has already been approached.

Could be fireworks down there this weekend.

edit: tom Herman's buyout is $15 million today. Buying out his assistant's contracts is another $9 million Total cost = $24 million to get rid of him now.

Last edited:
Their gonna get Urban Meyer... gonna throw not only the brinks truck but I could see them doing some kind of idiotic deal like the raiders gave Gruden to get him

Advertisement
Their gonna get Urban Meyer... gonna throw not only the brinks truck but I could see them doing some kind of idiotic deal like the raiders gave Gruden to get him

I don't see Meyer being interested in Texas. The thing about the Texas job is it involves more asskissing than any other in CFB. You have to constantly stroke the egos of the billionaire donors, show up to all their little fundraisers, and it is a nonstop schmoozefest. At this point I can't imagine Meyer wants to be in that position. He's not hurting for money. The longshot school that could possibly entice him is USC because of the recruiting grounds and relatively low pressure compared to Texas. Beyond that, I don't see him returning for any job but Notre Dame and B. Kelly seems to have bought himself another couple years.

Texas boards are out for blood right now - Tom Herman's blood. some posters who seem to be acknowledged boosters are saying there's alot going on behind the scenes right now and win or lose this week vs. Oklahoma St he is gone.... Seems like the buyout is already raised by the boosters - if they keep him until Dec 1 it drops by $5 million but the feeling is they don't care...

Of course their primary "want" for the next coach is Urban Meyer. some of those booster people have said he has already been approached.

Could be fireworks down there this weekend.

edit: tom Herman's buyout is $15 million today. Buying out his assistant's contracts is another $9 million Total cost = $24 million to get rid of him now.
Out of all the big name coaching hires in recent years, I think this is the failure that I am most surprised by. With his background, success building Houston, recruiting ties, resources, etc. I thought Texas would be back in a hurry.

@SouthParkCane - I’d love to hear any thoughts or info you may have from being in Houston, and his time there.

Advertisement
I don't see Meyer being interested in Texas. The thing about the Texas job is it involves more asskissing than any other in CFB. You have to constantly stroke the egos of the billionaire donors, show up to all their little fundraisers, and it is a nonstop schmoozefest. At this point I can't imagine Meyer wants to be in that position. He's not hurting for money. The longshot school that could possibly entice him is USC because of the recruiting grounds and relatively low pressure compared to Texas. Beyond that, I don't see him returning for any job but Notre Dame and B. Kelly seems to have bought himself another couple years.
Agreed. A few days ago I read if Kelly wins 10 games this year he would be the first ND HC to win 10 or more games 4 years in a row. The Irish are 5-0. I dislike ND, and especially Kelly, but I think he’s there for the long-term.

Out of all the big name coaching hires in recent years, I think this is the failure that I am most surprised by. With his background, success building Houston, recruiting ties, resources, etc. I thought Texas would be back in a hurry.

@SouthParkCane - I’d love to hear any thoughts or info you may have from being in Houston, and his time there.
Hermann has all the resources he need$ and then some the fact of the matter is he needs the truly elite Texas kids to win. Problem is he won’t get them because they remember him for who he was at UH (a snake) and he can’t string together good seasons to sell hope. I can go all day with this but I’ll go further in depth when he gets fired

Interesting story written by one of the Texas 247 board "insiders"

Some highlights:

Herman’s margin for error seems to be getting smaller. And it’s not completely based on a veteran Texas team looking poorly coached and undisciplined in narrow losses to 1-3 TCU and to 3-2 Oklahoma as well as a narrow, overtime victory at 2-3 Texas Tech, nor the fact three-time national championship coach Urban Meyer, Herman's former boss at Ohio State, happens to be a free agent right now, nor the fact crash-test dummies have hit walls harder than the Longhorns’ recruiting.

If you listen closely enough, there are plenty of stories circulating - beginning when Herman took the Texas job - of him not being easy to deal with.
One former UT coach said it was commonplace for Herman to drop “a string of F-bombs in the general course of conversation” during athletic department meetings.
“It wasn’t a good look,” the former coach said.

Herman seemed to have some of his rough edges power sanded with the help of athletic director Chris Del Conte, who arrived in December 2017.
But Herman alienated key supporters by not having his team’s post-game handling of the Eyes of Texas buttoned up as Del Conte had asked him to do well before the debacle at the Cotton Bowl following a four-overtime loss to Oklahoma.

A source close to the situation told Horns247, "It was made clear by Jay Hartzell and Chris Del Conte (Texas AD) to Tom Herman and all the coaches that it was important for student-athletes to stand together for the Eyes, so they didn't appear to be divided. But Tom Herman didn't carry out that message."

That same source said Herman “doesn’t have a lot of equity built up.”

Herman was a graduate assistant under Mack Brown in 1999 and 2000. And even though being a GA entailed things like drawing up practice cards for the scout team and picking up lunch, Herman probably witnessed Brown making sure he had friends in high places at Texas.

It took Brown eight years to win a conference championship at Texas after taking over as head coach before the 1998 season.
During those first eight years, there were embarrassing, blowout losses to Oklahoma as part of a five-year losing streak against the Sooners.

What kept Brown from getting anywhere near the hot seat was Brown developing friendships with key boosters who had influence with athletics because of their sizable contributions. A steady stream of wins over ranked teams also helped offset the occasional loss to an unranked N.C. State or Stanford.

Herman has lost seven games to unranked teams when the Longhorns have been ranked in the AP Top 25 - most in FBS since 2017. Those losses, including season-opening setbacks against sadsack Maryland teams (one with an interim coach) in 2017 and 2018 as well as a 1-3 record against TCU and a 1-4 record against OU, haven't been offset with enough impressive wins.

In 2013, when patience with Brown among most of those high-powered boosters had finally run out, Brown still had UT benefactor Joe Jamail, a billionaire trial lawyer, serving as his personal representation.
That alliance would prove to be problematic for a group of big-money UT boosters who wanted to hire Nick Saban to replace Brown.

After losses to BYU and Ole Miss in the 2013 season, Brown agreed with administrators that if he didn't win at least a share of the Big 12 title, win 10 games or go to a BCS bowl, he’d step down at the end of the year, multiple sources told me at the time.

Texas got on a roll, knocked off then-No. 12 Oklahoma, and in the regular-season finale at Baylor, could've gained a share of the Big 12 title with a win. The score was tied 3-3 at halftime before Baylor pulled away for a 30-10 win.

Brown was supposed to announce his resignation the next day.

Instead, while flying with new athletic director Steve Patterson to New York for National Football Foundation meetings, Brown convinced Patterson hiring Saban would mean Saban running Texas athletics - not Patterson - and to keep Brown as coach.

In a meeting with then UT president Bill Powers, just before the Longhorns’ football banquet on Friday the 13th in December 2013, Jamail told Powers if Texas fired Brown and hired Saban, Jamail would file a tortious interference lawsuit against the UT boosters who were hoping to hire Saban, one source close to the situation told me.

Brown survived as coach for another 24 hours before the big-money boosters demanded Powers fire Brown as previously agreed.

After the big-money boosters failed to get Saban, some wanted Jimbo Fisher. Billionaire Red McCombs wanted Jon Gruden.
Patterson interviewed James Franklin and really wanted to hire Jim Mora (but Mora’s wife wanted to stay at UCLA at the time). Patterson ended up hiring Charlie Strong, who outlasted Patterson’s failed, 22-month tenure as AD but was let go after three straight losing seasons.

The big-money momentum pushed to replace Strong with Herman, who went 22-4 in two seasons at Houston, where Herman inherited an 8-5 team under Tony Levine coming off a bowl win.

Herman was also being courted by LSU, who had already agreed in a demand letter to the things Herman wanted and was just awaiting his signature. After Strong lost back-to-back games to Kansas and TCU in 2016, ensuring his third-straight losing season, former UT president Greg Fenves and then-athletic director Mike Perrin moved quickly and hired Herman without interviewing anyone else.

Advertisement
Back