Quick thoughts before I get back to the fights...

I havent nothing against Ragone, but it has to be a priority to get our quicker, faster athletes out there ASAP. They dont need to be Ray Lewis or Darrin Smith, just be better than what we've seen...
I always love the walkon stories but there are roles for those guys where they can make an impact and beneficial to all parties, like special teams, clean up duty, etc. Ragone was legit getting real game reps with the game on the line.. Something is wrong when that happen.. Out of your 8 recruited scholarship guys none are better or prepared?!

Advertisement
I always love the walkon stories but there are roles for those guys where they can make an impact and beneficial to all parties, like special teams, clean up duty, etc. Ragone was legit getting real game reps with the game on the line.. Something is wrong when that happen.. Out of your 8 recruited scholarship guys none are better or prepared?!

Yeah, the role is called 'garbage time', lol. Or at Texas A@M, 'the 12th Man'

But geez, think about this Sky -- this might be an indictment on the other guys, lol

Parke isn't the LB coach. His units (Strikers & ST's) are doing well.

Patke has been been OLB + Strikers since 2018, and took over STs in 2019. Prior to that, from 2016 to 2018, Patke was essentially Diaz' assistant dedicated to the LBs.

So, Patke+Diaz oversaw recruitment for all linebackers in the 2016, 2017 and 2018 classes, after which presumably Patke focused on OLB/Strikers. But since all our strikers until the class of 2021 have come from Banda's recruits (Finley, Frierson and Smith). Patke's only recruiting contribution at Miami has been linebackers.

2016: Shaq, Pinckney and McCloud -- This was more Richt that anyone
2017: Wilder, Steed and Jennings -- Never heard Patke's name.
2018: Joyner if you want to count him, but he was recruited at DE -- zero contribution from Patke
2019 : Brooks and Huff -- Patke and Banda recruited Brooks. Who do you think led that recruitment? Patke and Diaz recruited Huff, and IIRC, Diaz had to personally lead the effort because we were trying to land a bunch of STA LBs, and Huff was the only one who stuck
2020 : Austin-Cave, Flagg -- Patke and Baker recruited both, and while I believe it was Baker from his ULM days that had the in on Flagg, Patke may have actually had some influence with Austin-Cave.
2021: Troutman and Johnson (and maybe Davis) -- Troutman is an MLB, recruited by Baker and Field. Johnson is Quan's little brother. Even though he's an OLB, Baker and mostly Banda recruited him. Zero contribution by Patke. Davis is a DE who may move to ILB. No Patke involvement... Finally, Chase Smith is our first true Striker recruit. Banda, Patke and Baker were all involved in his recruitment. Patke was the primary, but remember that Smith is a legacy who only committed after his other top schools couldn't host him due to Covid. I'll give him a win here, with a major asterisk.

1 or possibly 2 recruiting victories over 5 classes.

Then you look at development. Patke had the 3 2016 guys since day 1. The only guy you could argue took a big step from good coaching was McCloud. Pinckney never got much better than he was coming in, and Shaq's development was due to his self-motivation. After that, show me where the development has been? Not one of those other guys even pushed the big three for time, not one. So nonexistent recruiting and no demonstrable development.

Net/net, Patke is a **** show. If you want to say Baker is as bad, be my guest, I'll agree. Both should find other programs that suit them better after this season.

Patke has been been OLB + Strikers since 2018, and took over STs in 2019. Prior to that, from 2016 to 2018, Patke was essentially Diaz' assistant dedicated to the LBs.

So, Patke+Diaz oversaw recruitment for all linebackers in the 2016, 2017 and 2018 classes, after which presumably Patke focused on OLB/Strikers. But since all our strikers until the class of 2021 have come from Banda's recruits (Finley, Frierson and Smith). Patke's only recruiting contribution at Miami has been linebackers.

2016: Shaq, Pinckney and McCloud -- This was more Richt that anyone
2017: Wilder, Steed and Jennings -- Never heard Patke's name.
2018: Joyner if you want to count him, but he was recruited at DE -- zero contribution from Patke
2019 : Brooks and Huff -- Patke and Banda recruited Brooks. Who do you think led that recruitment? Patke and Diaz recruited Huff, and IIRC, Diaz had to personally lead the effort because we were trying to land a bunch of STA LBs, and Huff was the only one who stuck
2020 : Austin-Cave, Flagg -- Patke and Baker recruited both, and while I believe it was Baker from his ULM days that had the in on Flagg, Patke may have actually had some influence with Austin-Cave.
2021: Troutman and Johnson (and maybe Davis) -- Troutman is an MLB, recruited by Baker and Field. Johnson is Quan's little brother. Even though he's an OLB, Baker and mostly Banda recruited him. Zero contribution by Patke. Davis is a DE who may move to ILB. No Patke involvement... Finally, Chase Smith is our first true Striker recruit. Banda, Patke and Baker were all involved in his recruitment. Patke was the primary, but remember that Smith is a legacy who only committed after his other top schools couldn't host him due to Covid. I'll give him a win here, with a major asterisk.

1 or possibly 2 recruiting victories over 5 classes.

Then you look at development. Patke had the 3 2016 guys since day 1. The only guy you could argue took a big step from good coaching was McCloud. Pinckney never got much better than he was coming in, and Shaq's development was due to his self-motivation. After that, show me where the development has been? Not one of those other guys even pushed the big three for time, not one. So nonexistent recruiting and no demonstrable development.

Net/net, Patke is a **** show. If you want to say Baker is as bad, be my guest, I'll agree. Both should find other programs that suit them better after this season.

Geez, that's kinda Rumph-esque

Geez, that's kinda Rumph-esque

Even now, after all the failures that Rumph has racked up, I still think he’s a better coach than Patke. I see no professional redeemable value to the guy. I’m sure Patke’s an awesome human being. But a football coach at the P5 level he is not.

Advertisement
He did, Bradley Jennings however....

I was told how well Jennings played in scrimmages but he’s a short yardage or run down thumper. He’s just exposed against teams like Lou. Brooks , steed , huff and some of the other guys might need more of a look. Mccloud actually played well , which was nice
since he was bad against uab.

Lb’s and wr’s make me nervous.

so I re-watched the game after the fights were over, some more thoughts:

-- right now both Jaelen Phillips and Bubba Bolden are playing at an all-ACC(and beyond) level. They are our two best players on that side of the ball. They are the goods. Phillips shows that sacks are not the only true indicator of an impact an edge player has. Never figured he'd be this strong in the run game, and he has to be accounted for every play. Bubba is like a Hoover vacuum the way he cleans plays up on the back-end.

- More Cam (ohhhhh Caaaaammm!!!) Williams. This kid has a high ceiling, I actually think he's a more complete player than Roche (who struggled a bit vs the run last night). Both he and Harvey flashed last night.

- OK tell me football guru's, was Bradley Jennings as bad as I thought( slow to diagnose, bad reads, couldn't get off blocks, or make tackles) or he is just not getting enough help upfront as blockers get to the second level so readily? But he struggled mightily last night. Actually thought McCloud played a good game

- I'll say it again, there is something very unsound about this Baker/Diaz defense. Sometimes they just complicate things needlessly. Where have you gone Sonny Lubick?

- Still concerned about the run blocking from the interior line. Seemed like every rushing play inside got stuffed. But at the same time, pass pro was good, and run plays did get sprung outside for big chunks

- Start targeting Dee Wiggins more, I haven't given up on him, I think it's unfair to lump him in with Pope and Harley(two smaller guys), I thought King had a couple of misses where Dee was running open with space in front of him. He's got the size we need on certain routes and he showed last year he can take a top off the defense. Pope and Harley simply are too inconsistent

- Ok, we all know that Amari Carter struggles out in space in the pass game. But you know what? He's growing on me, the guy is an old school thumper. There is an intimidation factor he brings to the table that I think is still very useful in todays game. And this is still football, it's meant to be physical and violent. Death, taxes and Amari getting targeting callls

- Now, moving ahead, another nationally televised, prime time game. Another great opportunity to show recruits across the country that with this new Netflix Lashlee offense, this is where you want to chill, here in Miami/Coral Gables. This is actually 'the new Miami'. Manny needs to make this his version of the 1997 FSU massacre, run it up on them till the very end. Send a message to everyone watching. Great opportunity for UM to be spotlighted once again as the whole country watches and other marquee programs and conferences are highlighted.
I would also target Mallory more. He was wide open and beating his man almost every time he ran a route.

I would also let King run some wildcat.

Defense looked good 1st half especiallywhen we inly rushed the front 4. I believe Baker got full of his self and start running his old scheme thinking it would work 2nd half which allow yardage to be gain.

I was told how well Jennings played in scrimmages but he’s a short yardage or run down thumper. He’s just exposed against teams like Lou. Brooks , steed , huff and some of the other guys might need more of a look. Mccloud actually played well , which was nice
since he was bad against uab.

Lb’s and wr’s make me nervous.
McCloud played well compared to himself. But compared to Shaq and Pink as recent examples, McCloud gets beat to the edge too often and makes zero plays in the backfield.
We can all agree that our upfield rush scheme with our linemen means that our backers are rarely untouched. But that has been the scheme since Manny arrived and the scheme we ALL begged for because S Fla d-linemen play upfield. It is also the scheme that lead to lots and lots of negative plays by Shaq and Pink. So I can’t blame the scheme for McCloud and Jennings not making plays because it’s the same scheme as the last 5 years and we have good defensive linemen this year who are doing their jobs well (though Roche sometimes fails to set the edge).
in short, the backers are limited this year and the most we can hope is that they are net zeros and not net negatives

Advertisement
Dont think Cam and Roche play same position.. They are aligned differently and asked to do different things.. Roche is a weak side end, he played pretty good, just those weak side outside zone runs our tough as ****.. He is a vet tho, he sniffed out a screen play that younger players would bite on thinking they got free run to qb.. GREAT play that doesnt show up anywhere..
They seem to be playing a left and right end. You don't see phillips and Roche flipping sides much if at all. They did in the UAB game which Baker noted.

@k9cane, great write up, the D line needs more of a push, the LBers are absent in this D and the CB recruiting has a lot to be desired... Baker is not a qualified DC, and rump has to go!
The Oline was not getting a push to open up for the RBs, they were stuffing the middle, especially on that 1st and goal, but i was happy with the pass block. And yes, the Harley and Pope are inconsistent.
Overall, I'm very happy with the Canes just think our DC needs to go. I know it's only 2 games but he does not pass the test
Thanks @k9cane

@skyman, @grover, nice job also

Advertisement
Back