Quick thoughts before I get back to the fights...

k9cane

Senior
- 47 points, and they left another 17 on the board. This offense can get better

- We need some WR's, too many drops again. Pope is the definition of hit or miss

- More Cam Williams, honestly, I like him better than Roche, who struggled in the run game

- Jaelen Phillips is going to be really good, you can just see ti

- Linebacker play is poor, someone tell me Im wrong

- But great win, Lashlee and King have me excited. The defense leaves me nervous still

Advertisement

- We need some WR's, too many drops again. Pope is the definition of hit or miss

- More Cam Williams, honestly, I like him better than Roche, who struggled in the run game

- But great win, Lashlee and King have me excited. The defense leaves me nervous still
Spot on post. Also, Harley dropped a TD pass. Very disappointed in Baker and the D, but very pleased to win this game by a couple scores. Beat fsu and on to #1 clemson.

Manny Diaz: "We were a team no one was talking about two weeks ago. And if we don't do right, no one will be talking about us two weeks from now. ... I think our players understand the difficulty of coming to Louisville and winning, but there's a lot more meat on the bone."

I like meat.

Advertisement
Another thing, they still arent getting much of a push in the run game from the interior line. Marty Bibla and Richard Mercier aint walking through that door
Good point K9, but I am not at all worried about Lashlee and this offense with King, they will get their points and yards. It's the D that still scares me until we have a better D coordinator. Not liking Baker since last year.

Advertisement
so I re-watched the game after the fights were over, some more thoughts:

-- right now both Jaelen Phillips and Bubba Bolden are playing at an all-ACC(and beyond) level. They are our two best players on that side of the ball. They are the goods. Phillips shows that sacks are not the only true indicator of an impact an edge player has. Never figured he'd be this strong in the run game, and he has to be accounted for every play. Bubba is like a Hoover vacuum the way he cleans plays up on the back-end.

- More Cam (ohhhhh Caaaaammm!!!) Williams. This kid has a high ceiling, I actually think he's a more complete player than Roche (who struggled a bit vs the run last night). Both he and Harvey flashed last night.

- OK tell me football guru's, was Bradley Jennings as bad as I thought( slow to diagnose, bad reads, couldn't get off blocks, or make tackles) or he is just not getting enough help upfront as blockers get to the second level so readily? But he struggled mightily last night. Actually thought McCloud played a good game

- I'll say it again, there is something very unsound about this Baker/Diaz defense. Sometimes they just complicate things needlessly. Where have you gone Sonny Lubick?

- Still concerned about the run blocking from the interior line. Seemed like every rushing play inside got stuffed. But at the same time, pass pro was good, and run plays did get sprung outside for big chunks

- Start targeting Dee Wiggins more, I haven't given up on him, I think it's unfair to lump him in with Pope and Harley(two smaller guys), I thought King had a couple of misses where Dee was running open with space in front of him. He's got the size we need on certain routes and he showed last year he can take a top off the defense. Pope and Harley simply are too inconsistent

- Ok, we all know that Amari Carter struggles out in space in the pass game. But you know what? He's growing on me, the guy is an old school thumper. There is an intimidation factor he brings to the table that I think is still very useful in todays game. And this is still football, it's meant to be physical and violent. Death, taxes and Amari getting targeting callls

- Now, moving ahead, another nationally televised, prime time game. Another great opportunity to show recruits across the country that with this new Netflix Lashlee offense, this is where you want to chill, here in Miami/Coral Gables. This is actually 'the new Miami'. Manny needs to make this his version of the 1997 FSU massacre, run it up on them till the very end. Send a message to everyone watching. Great opportunity for UM to be spotlighted once again as the whole country watches and other marquee programs and conferences are highlighted.

While we left some points on the board, the6 had busted coverages that evened it out. Running game was ok save for 1-2 long ones. which means there is room to improve. The defense needs some help though

Advertisement
Great write up K9. The game was fun to watch until 4th quarter garbage time. We’re definitely a better team than in recent years, and I’m looking forward to the FSU game.

Harley will never be better than he is, and it’s a liability to have him and Pope on the field at the same time. We need to see more of Payton when he’s cleared, and the Freshmen.

Jennings was never any good. I knew he was a greentree AA because even his HS highlights showed he was too stiff and too slow. We shouldn’t have a LB issue. But Patke is a terrible recruiter and coach who needs to find another program over the off-season.

Couch isn’t quite ready. But he’s a baller and will get better every weeks. At least we now have some options for the #2/3 CB spot. Hopefully Rumph can get one of the two Freshmen ready. But we desperately need an injection of talent there.

Let’s go best the Noles. Don’t need to get cute. We’re the better team. By just playing sound, physical football we should beat them soundly.

Great write up K9. The game was fun to watch until 4th quarter garbage time. We’re definitely a better team than in recent years, and I’m looking forward to the FSU game.

Harley will never be better than he is, and it’s a liability to have him and Pope on the field at the same time. We need to see more of Payton when he’s cleared, and the Freshmen.

Jennings was never any good. I knew he was a greentree AA because even his HS highlights showed he was too stiff and too slow. We shouldn’t have a LB issue. But Patke is a terrible recruiter and coach who needs to find another program over the off-season.

Couch isn’t quite ready. But he’s a baller and will get better every weeks. At least we now have some options for the #2/3 CB spot. Hopefully Rumph can get one of the two Freshmen ready. But we desperately need an injection of talent there.

Let’s go best the Noles. Don’t need to get cute. We’re the better team. By just playing sound, physical football we should beat them soundly.

I get the sense this defense will really be reliant on having this offense create early leads, and play from ahead, where they can turn teams one-dimensional and pin their ears back as pass rushers.

but I mean, forget having Dan Morgan or Ray Lewis, a guy like Denzel Perryman or Colin McCarthy would really be good in my view with what we have upfront. Jennings really had a tough night at L'ville.

As for WR, Id like to see Dee Wiggins more involved and when Payton is cleared, get him in there more, as you stated.

Parke isn't the LB coach. His units (Strikers & ST's) are doing well.

Advertisement
so I re-watched the game after the fights were over, some more thoughts:

-- right now both Jaelen Phillips and Bubba Bolden are playing at an all-ACC(and beyond) level. They are our two best players on that side of the ball. They are the goods. Phillips shows that sacks are not the only true indicator of an impact an edge player has. Never figured he'd be this strong in the run game, and he has to be accounted for every play. Bubba is like a Hoover vacuum the way he cleans plays up on the back-end.

- More Cam (ohhhhh Caaaaammm!!!) Williams. This kid has a high ceiling, I actually think he's a more complete player than Roche (who struggled a bit vs the run last night). Both he and Harvey flashed last night.

- OK tell me football guru's, was Bradley Jennings as bad as I thought( slow to diagnose, bad reads, couldn't get off blocks, or make tackles) or he is just not getting enough help upfront as blockers get to the second level so readily? But he struggled mightily last night. Actually thought McCloud played a good game

- I'll say it again, there is something very unsound about this Baker/Diaz defense. Sometimes they just complicate things needlessly. Where have you gone Sonny Lubick?

- Still concerned about the run blocking from the interior line. Seemed like every rushing play inside got stuffed. But at the same time, pass pro was good, and run plays did get sprung outside for big chunks

- Start targeting Dee Wiggins more, I haven't given up on him, I think it's unfair to lump him in with Pope and Harley(two smaller guys), I thought King had a couple of misses where Dee was running open with space in front of him. He's got the size we need on certain routes and he showed last year he can take a top off the defense. Pope and Harley simply are too inconsistent

- Ok, we all know that Amari Carter struggles out in space in the pass game. But you know what? He's growing on me, the guy is an old school thumper. There is an intimidation factor he brings to the table that I think is still very useful in todays game. And this is still football, it's meant to be physical and violent. Death, taxes and Amari getting targeting callls

- Now, moving ahead, another nationally televised, prime time game. Another great opportunity to show recruits across the country that with this new Netflix Lashlee offense, this is where you want to chill, here in Miami/Coral Gables. This is actually 'the new Miami'. Manny needs to make this his version of the 1997 FSU massacre, run it up on them till the very end. Send a message to everyone watching. Great opportunity for UM to be spotlighted once again as the whole country watches and other marquee programs and conferences are highlighted.
Dont think Cam and Roche play same position.. They are aligned differently and asked to do different things.. Roche is a weak side end, he played pretty good, just those weak side outside zone runs our tough as ****.. He is a vet tho, he sniffed out a screen play that younger players would bite on thinking they got free run to qb.. GREAT play that doesnt show up anywhere..

Dont think Cam and Roche play same position.. They are aligned differently and asked to do different things.. Roche is a weak side end, he played pretty good, just those weak side outside zone runs our tough as ****.. He is a vet tho, he sniffed out a screen play that younger players would bite on thinking they got free run to qb.. GREAT play that doesnt show up anywhere..

you are right about that, Roche also had a sack on a stunt.

That LB play concerns me to no end. Where have you gone Colin McCarthy?

you are right about that, Roche also had a sack on a stunt.

That LB play concerns me to no end. Where have you gone Colin McCarthy?
We have 3 lb corches on staff but cant coach em up at all it seems.. We are like 8 deep at LB for only 2 spots on the field but we cant get anybody more prepared than Ragone?! yeesh.. Had 5 years to recruit your guys and we still got a Golden guy to lead us..

We have 3 lb corches on staff but cant coach em up at all it seems.. We are like 8 deep at LB for only 2 spots on the field but we cant get anybody more prepared than Ragone?! yeesh

I havent nothing against Ragone, but it has to be a priority to get our quicker, faster athletes out there ASAP. They dont need to be Ray Lewis or Darrin Smith, just be better than what we've seen...

Advertisement
Back