Quick takes from Spring Game

Advertisement
Michigan also won a national championship with a below average play caller. Fine becomes great when paired with elite talent. When you’re working with average talent, an elite play caller can be the difference between 10 wins and 5 wins but nobody playing in the CFP has average talent.
Don’t know how u watched Michigan and came away with this, especially that bama game

Why would you show in a televised spring game anything other than base plays?
I agree it was base level stuff but thats my entire point, i like to see what ocs think is their base level stuff thats where u can see the different levels. For example an elite ocs base level stuff is different than a mid ocs base level stuff. The way u get to or design your base level stuff matters

Advertisement
Why would you show in a televised spring game anything other than base plays?

To build up the excitement for this team.

Trust and believe, the ears of those at the Hecht aren't deaf to what fans have been saying the last few years. We've seen some excitement in the recruiting department and the portal, but it's been absent where it matters.

A lot of people thought, incorrectly, that Mario was worth a couple more wins from day one from the guy we let go. He was given more ammo than any coach prior in our history and free reign to do as he pleased with the hires he chose. The money he was getting, the assistants, NIL, etc it was all next level for us.

So far, it's failed on the field. It's really that simple. You can fool fans for only so long before it blows up in your face. This is the season.

So back to point one. You build excitement. That starts with recruiting. You add to it with the portal. You give access to things you've kept hidden and carefully script momentum. The final act of the spring is to put a show on for those tuning into our last act before fall. That's how you build excitement, drum up ticket sales, etc.

Did they accomplish that? We all have opinions on that. Is anyone more excited post Spring than before? The limited amount I pay attention to I'll say I'm not. Overall it's more of the same. Some strides here, some backwards there, etc.

See my vanilla post prior to this one. We showed who we are and intend to be. We aren't a finished product, there's some more pages not turned, and the team will lose some players while adding some. Tendencies, ones that haven't work, it was more of the same. You can do much more then we do without giving the playbook away. Our base plays, they're boring, predictable, and our opponents already know how to counter them. That's all a concern.

Can someone please tell David Lake to STFU already? He doesn't know what's he talking about.

Nobody can get a read on D in a spring game. How long has he been doing this? ITU is ******, sorry guys.

Best read was Cam, looks legit. Maybe some receivers, backs, maybe. For evals, other than effort, are worthless.

Hat tip to Pete and D$, ya'll locking it down. Respect.

Don’t know how u watched Michigan and came away with this, especially that bama game
Michigan was incredibly bland offensively. The only thing they did at an elite level was not turn the ball over. Now it’s not really the play calling to blame because they were purposefully bland. In their philosophy, running it three time and punting wasn’t the worst thing they could do. Especially if they had a lead. But what my point was is that if you have the right personnel, you don’t need to be particularly dynamic as a coach. That style of football only works when you have an elite defense and a veteran team. The average coach on the average team would struggle mightily if he attempted to run his offense exactly like Michigan did. Also, I’m not the biggest believer in relying so heavily on turnover margin. Too much random luck involved.

Advertisement
To build up the excitement for this team.

Trust and believe, the ears of those at the Hecht aren't deaf to what fans have been saying the last few years. We've seen some excitement in the recruiting department and the portal, but it's been absent where it matters.

A lot of people thought, incorrectly, that Mario was worth a couple more wins from day one from the guy we let go. He was given more ammo than any coach prior in our history and free reign to do as he pleased with the hires he chose. The money he was getting, the assistants, NIL, etc it was all next level for us.

So far, it's failed on the field. It's really that simple. You can fool fans for only so long before it blows up in your face. This is the season.

So back to point one. You build excitement. That starts with recruiting. You add to it with the portal. You give access to things you've kept hidden and carefully script momentum. The final act of the spring is to put a show on for those tuning into our last act before fall. That's how you build excitement, drum up ticket sales, etc.

Did they accomplish that? We all have opinions on that. Is anyone more excited post Spring than before? The limited amount I pay attention to I'll say I'm not. Overall it's more of the same. Some strides here, some backwards there, etc.

See my vanilla post prior to this one. We showed who we are and intend to be. We aren't a finished product, there's some more pages not turned, and the team will lose some players while adding some. Tendencies, ones that haven't work, it was more of the same. You can do much more then we do without giving the playbook away. Our base plays, they're boring, predictable, and our opponents already know how to counter them. That's all a concern.
This is a staff that keeps everything close to the vest. Some of our biggest signings took our top insiders completely by surprise. Nobody knows who is actually injured or how serious the injury is because the staff doesn’t tell anyone. They protect information like the nuclear launch codes. Why would you think they would run a wide open spring scrimmage where they were showing all they’ve got? To appease the fans? The game was literally held on the women’s soccer field where 99% of the fans couldn’t attend even off they wanted to.

You guys think Mario is desperate for some kind of positive fan reaction? You don’t understand what hiring him meant. He doesn’t have to care if fans are mad about being 12-13. His seat isn’t even slightly warm. The BOT and the athletic department is 100% behind him. This was the risk involved when we hired him. We knew they were going to throw everything into the “Mario or nothing” basket. It’s why he was the only candidate for the job. Manny would have been retained if Mario wasn’t coming. Whether we like it or not, we’re hooked to Mario for at least the next 3 or 4 seasons. If he fails to at least make the program respectable in that time frame, throw in the towel because the people making decisions have decided this.

Michigan was incredibly bland offensively. The only thing they did at an elite level was not turn the ball over. Now it’s not really the play calling to blame because they were purposefully bland. In their philosophy, running it three time and punting wasn’t the worst thing they could do. Especially if they had a lead. But what my point was is that if you have the right personnel, you don’t need to be particularly dynamic as a coach. That style of football only works when you have an elite defense and a veteran team. The average coach on the average team would struggle mightily if he attempted to run his offense exactly like Michigan did. Also, I’m not the biggest believer in relying so heavily on turnover margin. Too much random luck involved.
Michigan was not bland on O lol. They used tons of motion and misdirection.

Also need a Head Coach who doesn’t average a handful of coaching blunders per game

Also need a Head Coach who doesn’t average a handful of coaching blunders per game
Ask Michigan fans about Harbaugh’s game day coaching 4 years ago and you’d hear a lot of the same things we complain about with Mario. The Harbaugh/Michigan situation is incredibly similar to the Miami/Mario one. Fans and alumni were ****ed that the program was going to be tied to Harbaugh for years because he was a highly esteemed former player who had previous coaching success at other stops. Two playoff trips and a natty later, all is forgiven but Jim’s first 5 or 6 years were not exactly all love

Advertisement
Ask Michigan fans about Harbaugh’s game day coaching 4 years ago and you’d hear a lot of the same things we complain about with Mario. The Harbaugh/Michigan situation is incredibly similar to the Miami/Mario one. Fans and alumni were ****ed that the program was going to be tied to Harbaugh for years because he was a highly esteemed former player who had previous coaching success at other stops. Two playoff trips and a natty later, all is forgiven but Jim’s first 5 or 6 years were not exactly all love
So you're saying this is the year we know the opponents plays 🤫

I would believe that except the play calling was just like games. The only thing that looked vanilla was the defense.
The play calling was not vanilla against Texas A&M. The playcalling became limited because Van Dyke imploded. The playbook narrowed like a carotid artery with Williams. Then with Brown in the bowl game.

I agree it was base level stuff but thats my entire point, i like to see what ocs think is their base level stuff thats where u can see the different levels. For example an elite ocs base level stuff is different than a mid ocs base level stuff. The way u get to or design your base level stuff matters
You saw some of it on Saturday. I saw enough to know we are definitely running more air raid concepts this year with Ward.

Advertisement
I don't envy coaches in recruiting these days. He was obviously a long term investment but with portal, you almost have to give PT here, warranted or not.

Francis is a unicorn. Immediate high ceiling/floor.

In the portal era, do you target kids who are almost maxed out already but can contribute right away? Conundrum.

Fraggle thoughts... Disregard
If you're NC State you take development players and that's a conversation you have with them from day one. Cherry pick the portal and just accept losing a DT to Miami bc of NIL.

If you're Miami you have to win now and take win-now players.
Hence recruiting GA, SoCal, TX, IMG, LV types. Plus some specific SoFla private schools.
Jits that have been through S&C (and D&N re IMG).

Waiting forever for some Palmetto Panther coached by a security guard to develop won't win you games now.

Advertisement
Back