Quick takes from Spring Game

Advertisement
Did it feel like a major drop off? Matt Lee was awesome last yr. Really need the OL group to hold up and give Cam time to work his magic...
wish i could call it ... not sure if our defense is legit or if the drop off is that steep ... plus, it's just spring, i'm sure we were predictable

Yes, would not take his recommendations on condoms however.
Me neither! I only take Magic's advice on condoms....

season 2 no GIF by Brockmire

Advertisement
Literally no one thought that. Everyone was sucking his ****. The preseason and the season was one long Lee **** suck.
Not true. Go back and look at reviews of his 2023 Spring Game. I didn’t pay it any credence, but it’s very close to the comments on Carpenter.

Not true. Go back and look at reviews of his 2023 Spring Game. I didn’t pay it any credence, but it’s very close to the comments on Carpenter.
I don't know. The comments about Carpenter seem to be that he is no Lee but the OL is still good. I'm just glad Lee didn't dehydrate himself from all the loads.

The only negative stuff said about Lee was by me in the Texas A&M game where he got knocked down a few times. But I immediately follow that up with how impressed I was that he got back up and punched back and held on.

I also remember negative comments about Jalen Rivers coming from me because he talked to big game an interviews before ever playing a down at left tackle. Proud to be wrong on that.

If anyone's going to hate on somebody it's going to be me and if I say it didn't happen it didn't happen. I'll throw you one, Cam didn't look much more impressive than TVD in the spring game. He threw about as many interceptions and he fumbled a whole lot more last year. So until August 31st I'm just going to be a positive skeptic.

I don't know. The comments about Carpenter seem to be that he is no Lee but the OL is still good. I'm just glad Lee didn't dehydrate himself from all the loads.

The only negative stuff said about Lee was by me in the Texas A&M game where he got knocked down a few times. But I immediately follow that up with how impressed I was that he got back up and punched back and held on.

I also remember negative comments about Jalen Rivers coming from me because he talked to big game an interviews before ever playing a down at left tackle. Proud to be wrong on that.

If anyone's going to hate on somebody it's going to be me and if I say it didn't happen it didn't happen. I'll throw you one, Cam didn't look much more impressive than TVD in the spring game. He threw about as many interceptions and he fumbled a whole lot more last year. So until August 31st I'm just going to be a positive skeptic.
IMG_4162.gif

Advertisement
I think our Safety rotation looks a little different come fall.
Portal + some people think Paterson may work his way into the starting spot. (just what I heard 🤷🏻‍♂️)

Some of the younger kids on this squad will be hard to keep off the field. They're gamers.

LB and DE room is what I'm least worried about. I think we're great there.
DT's leave a little to be desired IMO.
The young blue-chip kids can turn that room around.

WR room could use a true burner and/or a big bodied 50/50 ball guy. Although he's got the size, I'm not sure Horton is that type. (haven't seen it yet)
When we need plays like that, we probably will have to rely on our TE's.

The best natural RB on the team right now is a TE/H-back. 🤷🏻‍♂️
CJ is a utility guy and has to be used a certain way. Honestly he may be the burner at WR that we're missing, because this run scheme doesn't fit his skill-set IMO. I'm not sure that they're open to a position change though. I hope it clicks for him, cause he's a great kid.
Maybe changing the Ancient run scheme
Dawson has would help.

I don't envy coaches in recruiting these days. He was obviously a long term investment but with portal, you almost have to give PT here, warranted or not.

Francis is a unicorn. Immediate high ceiling/floor.

In the portal era, do you target kids who are almost maxed out already but can contribute right away? Conundrum.

Fraggle thoughts... Disregard
No bro. You’re spot on. He had the worst day of the Tackles to me. Kinsler wasn’t too far behind him. But that’s ok if they are willing to develop another year. But that’s the rub as you so skittishly pointed out. 😂

Advertisement
Advertisement
Oh it was a real thought.. just out loud, in fragglestyle

All the out loud thinking you're doing, many of us are thinking similar thoughts silently.

The names we all know and expect to be starters are probably on lock down. But the guys behind them are clearly going to be getting hit up by the SEC, Louisville, FSU and others. Guys with big NIL we aren't playing right away are vulnerable, and equally so are the guys with low NIL and in the 2- or 3-deep but with huge potential.

We are absolutely going to lose some guys that "hurt" like Kelly, Parish, Chaney, Skinner and Young. This portal is going to be in-fing-sane. But I feel really good that Mario and his key stakeholders will make sure Miami comes out on top. We have Ward for 1 year. Time to pull out all the stops.

If we have to keep going to the portal and relying on TF at positions (like Safety)..then guys gotta go. (Looking at Balom and Markeith Williams especially)..Sorry man this is unacceptable. We need guys to either step up or step out. We cant use the portal to patch holes in every position. Some of these guys (especially 3rd year guys) have to live up to their 4* ranking or get processed out. Very disappointing to hear we have to go to the portal for ANOTHER safety. (we already went and got Powell)
And Riley

All the out loud thinking you're doing, many of us are thinking similar thoughts silently.

The names we all know and expect to be starters are probably on lock down. But the guys behind them are clearly going to be getting hit up by the SEC, Louisville, FSU and others. Guys with big NIL we aren't playing right away are vulnerable, and equally so are the guys with low NIL and in the 2- or 3-deep but with huge potential.

We are absolutely going to lose some guys that "hurt" like Kelly, Parish, Chaney, Skinner and Young. This portal is going to be in-fing-sane. But I feel really good that Mario and his key stakeholders will make sure Miami comes out on top. We have Ward for 1 year. Time to pull out all the stops.
We need to go all in this year with Ward on the clock. We lock in an elite RB, with two solid DB's and some extra depth on the DL, and we're gonna be really good.

Imho, I wouldn't pursue a transfer WR unless there's an absolute stud that wants to come here. We have the best room we've had in awhile.

Advertisement
Back