Quick takes from Spring Game

Advertisement
IMO, how we should attack the spring portal for this year

Must Gets: DT (1 tech), RB1

Needs: WR1, CB1, SAF

Luxury/If a good one wants in: IOL

All Good: OT, LB, DE, QB, TE, K/P

DT and RB1 are the two most glaring holes I see on the team as far as starters are concerned. Maybe one of the young guys steps up at DT when they get here but not being early enrollees already has them behind the 8 ball in that respect.

RB is just impossible to go into the season with what we have. As has been stated our best guy is a TF H-Back/TE/FB.

The spring game made me a little less concerned about WR and I almost tossed that into the Luxury spot but I think a true #1 would unlock Cam and this offense's full potential.

We've got some good bodies all along the OL that outside of a surprise stud wanting to jump in, I think we're good along the OL for the most part.

LB is the most loaded group we've got on the team. Great mix of experience and youthful talent here. TE similarly is pretty solid with the talent we have currently. Think if Arroyo stays healthy and Williams keeps progressing, they could be some real weapons for us.

QB, we could use a better backup but this year is Cam or bust regardless so no need to handle that in this portal period.

DE should be really good if Mesidor can stay healthy. Bain will do Bain things and Alston is going to be a solid piece as well. If any of the young guys can step up, it will do wonders for what we can do on D this year.

You literally said your biggest takeaway from the game was the OC.

But yeah, he’s not doing anything groundbreaking. He wasn’t really in my wish list for OC either but he can succeed here. Plus he’s miles better than the names floating around after Gattis got canned.
Yea thats my biggest takeaway because i value what OCs consider vanilla, its levels to vanilla. But i agree he can succeed here especially with a qb like cam

If we have to keep going to the portal and relying on TF at positions (like Safety)..then guys gotta go. (Looking at Balom and Markeith Williams especially)..Sorry man this is unacceptable. We need guys to either step up or step out. We cant use the portal to patch holes in every position. Some of these guys (especially 3rd year guys) have to live up to their 4* ranking or get processed out. Very disappointing to hear we have to go to the portal for ANOTHER safety. (we already went and got Powell)

Advertisement
Yea thats my biggest takeaway because i value what OCs consider vanilla, its levels to vanilla. But i agree he can succeed here especially with a qb like cam
If u go back and watch all of our games there were guys open with 0 pressure on TVd and he couldn’t find him. I’m not worried about Dawson he’s not super flashy or innovative but he’s fine

Not saying 44 will have a Bain type impact but I can see him getting more snaps than anyone thinks. Looked pretty good in spring game
If his snaps are in any other game outside of FAMU or Ball State..then someone got passed up and thats not a good thing. (Wayne or Bryant) One of Wayne or Bryant needs to take that 4th DE spot. All it should tell us if #44 is really performing well is that we dont need to waste a portal spot on Romello Height anymore. That would make me feel good.

Advertisement
The thing with Dawson is, he's fine, but is he a CFP caliber coordinator? I happen to think Guidry is but Dawson, I don't think so. And when you have a head coach that is on the conservative side, we kind of need a very competent OC to make up for the shortcoming on that side of the ball.
Like pretty much everything about this staff, if we continue to recruit at this level, we’ll be fine. Georgia brought back Mike Bobo last year, who has been trash his entire career and were very good on offense.

You literally said your biggest takeaway from the game was the OC.

But yeah, he’s not doing anything groundbreaking. He wasn’t really in my wish list for OC either but he can succeed here. Plus he’s miles better than the names floating around after Gattis got canned.
respectfully, it was the spring game ... what were your expectations?

Advertisement
why? where you disappointed with bain last year? Hunt is solid but Id take jones and scott, they are just as big and athletic
Bain was an anomaly. Besides DT is different from edge, it's a grown man's position particularly an 0 tech which requires strength that a teenager, that's never been through a college S & C program, doesn't have. Even Jerome Brown, Warren Sapp and Vince Wilfork were brought in slowly their freshman year.

Like pretty much everything about this staff, if we continue to recruit at this level, we’ll be fine. Georgia brought back Mike Bobo last year, who has been trash his entire career and were very good on offense.
But what is "fine" from your standards? I do agree that if we continue to recruit well (and I'm really bullish on that front), we should be a 10 win team consistently, which would be night-and-day better than what we've had for the last 2 decades (and many of us would be thrilled with that). But when expectations are CFP appearances, does "fine" get us there?

I also think Georgia is an outlier. They recruit at a level (and have sustained it) at a level that may be unattainable here.

I think our Safety rotation looks a little different come fall.
Portal + some people think Paterson may work his way into the starting spot. (just what I heard 🤷🏻‍♂️)

Some of the younger kids on this squad will be hard to keep off the field. They're gamers.

LB and DE room is what I'm least worried about. I think we're great there.
DT's leave a little to be desired IMO.
The young blue-chip kids can turn that room around.

WR room could use a true burner and/or a big bodied 50/50 ball guy. Although he's got the size, I'm not sure Horton is that type. (haven't seen it yet)
When we need plays like that, we probably will have to rely on our TE's.

The best natural RB on the team right now is a TE/H-back. 🤷🏻‍♂️
CJ is a utility guy and has to be used a certain way. Honestly he may be the burner at WR that we're missing, because this run scheme doesn't fit his skill-set IMO. I'm not sure that they're open to a position change though. I hope it clicks for him, cause he's a great kid.
what's you opinion on the line play, offensive and defensive

Advertisement
But what is "fine" from your standards? I do agree that if we continue to recruit well (and I'm really bullish on that front), we should be a 10 win team consistently, which would be night-and-day better than what we've had for the last 2 decades (and many of us would be thrilled with that). But when expectations are CFP appearances, does "fine" get us there?

I also think Georgia is an outlier. They recruit at a level (and have sustained it) at a level that may be unattainable here.
Michigan also won a national championship with a below average play caller. Fine becomes great when paired with elite talent. When you’re working with average talent, an elite play caller can be the difference between 10 wins and 5 wins but nobody playing in the CFP has average talent.

Michigan also won a national championship with a below average play caller. Fine becomes great when paired with elite talent. When you’re working with average talent, an elite play caller can be the difference between 10 wins and 5 wins but nobody playing in the CFP has average talent.
Sure. But don't you think Michigan got a little lucky with the draw? I don't think Michigan beats a lot of the prior playoff teams we've seen led by a lot of really good QBs (Tua, Mac Jones, Burrows, Fields, Lawrence, the Oklahoma QBs), etc. Heck, I think if Georgia is in and not Bama, Georgia beats them. I think a lot of stuff lined up for them. It was a down year for top teams in CFB last year IMO.

Advertisement
Back