Quick takes from Spring Game

Here's the only quick take that matters in regards to Spring Games and I'm sure @DTP agrees with me:

They don't matter. They're a fan event and the only purpose they serve is to get a gameish situation to check disciplinary football both coaching and executing wise from the players (e.g. penalties, running plays correctly, lineups, substitutions, calling plays within the right time slot, just the basic fundamentals).

The fact that they had Andre Johnson and Devin Hester call plays speaks volumes, so, don't overevaluate what you saw on Saturday.
Pretty much. It’s just a chance to get some game atmosphere reps and handle some procedure type things that are hard to simulate in a regular practice. The defense didn’t even blitz. Everything is kept as basic as possible. I can tell you there’s never been a position battle won during the spring game. It’s fun for fans and of course there’s going to be a ton of speculation but none of the coaches are like “wow we were totally wrong about this guy”.

Advertisement
My biggest takeaway from the scrimmage was im still not high on dawson. Solid oc that runs a college offense that will always work to some degree on this level but its very bland and straight up and down to me

what u consider your vanilla offense tells alot about you as an oc imo

And this isn’t an opinion I formed from only watching the spring game or just Miami games.
If you were looking for the spring game to be some kind of dynamic showcase for the offense to break out a bunch of creative stuff, that’s on you man. I don’t necessarily disagree re: Dawson but I’ll wait until he’s calling plays in an actual game with a functioning quarterback before I give my final judgment.

Pretty much. It’s just a chance to get some game atmosphere reps and handle some procedure type things that are hard to simulate in a regular practice. The defense didn’t even blitz. Everything is kept as basic as possible. I can tell you there’s never been a position battle won during the spring game. It’s fun for fans and of course there’s going to be a ton of speculation but none of the coaches are like “wow we were totally wrong about this guy”.
"but the run game didn't look good and we didn't block"

If you were looking for the spring game to be some kind of dynamic showcase for the offense to break out a bunch of creative stuff, that’s on you man. I don’t necessarily disagree re: Dawson but I’ll wait until he’s calling plays in an actual game with a functioning quarterback before I give my final judgment.
IMG_5527.jpeg

Idk if u read what i said but..yea lol

And miss me with that functioning qb **** he wasn’t doing anything high level at Houston or when yall thought he was great early last year. I think he’s a just solid oc

Advertisement
Advertisement
Can I say this guy was inpressive off the edge.

Jalen Rivers is going to be preseason first team All ACC tackle, and one play Bryant gave him an outside step then went inside so quickly that im not sure Rivers got a hand on him. It was on Ward to George TD, that couldve been a sack.
this ...

Offensively I think Miami can compete for the playoffs. OL is massive and good. RB room will be a good one. I think Miami can afford to bring in another W/O. Unless Chance Robinson turns out to be a beast! I know physically, he’ll step on campus looking the part more than any of our W/Os. Defensively…not so much. I just think the secondary is a little sus right now, and I’m not sure if the front 4 depth will be dominating enough to offset that. I love the LB corp. question to the staff would be…why not give Bobby Pruitt a look at safety? 🤷🏾‍♂️

Did we? I always thought Lee was technically very sound.
"Bum" is a strong word and I know the poster was just being comedic but there definitely was buzz that Lee didnt look impressive and might be overwhelmed. So I agree that lets take all the "Carpenter might not be it" talk with a grain of salt.

Advertisement
You clearly haven't been paying attention. JB is now challenging Cam Ward for the starting position based solely on the Spring Game.

After watching some and talking to people who have been to practice, it’s clear the guy I undervalued the most is McConathy.

I watched two games of his and felt like he was a solid frame bet with an excellent motor.

He’s already surpassed that and he should still be in high school. Edge/pass rushing is so much about motor and toughness and everything I hear says he might even be ahead of Lightfoot right now.

I get some wrong and it seems like I got this one wrong and they got it right.
Between the phone calls, and texts....they didn't stop in regards to McConathy. Between JoJo, and now this kid....It's been years since I've been alerted this much about 2 kids.

I think our Safety rotation looks a little different come fall.
Portal + some people think Paterson may work his way into the starting spot. (just what I heard 🤷🏻‍♂️)

Some of the younger kids on this squad will be hard to keep off the field. They're gamers.

LB and DE room is what I'm least worried about. I think we're great there.
DT's leave a little to be desired IMO.
The young blue-chip kids can turn that room around.

WR room could use a true burner and/or a big bodied 50/50 ball guy. Although he's got the size, I'm not sure Horton is that type. (haven't seen it yet)
When we need plays like that, we probably will have to rely on our TE's.

The best natural RB on the team right now is a TE/H-back. 🤷🏻‍♂️
CJ is a utility guy and has to be used a certain way. Honestly he may be the burner at WR that we're missing, because this run scheme doesn't fit his skill-set IMO. I'm not sure that they're open to a position change though. I hope it clicks for him, cause he's a great kid.

Advertisement
why? where you disappointed with bain last year? Hunt is solid but Id take jones and scott, they are just as big and athletic
You consistently have some of the dumbest takes.

Bain is an anomaly. Jones and Scott are not even on campus and have not shown they have what it takes to unseat Hunte. Let's see what they have to offer before making them starters.

Offensively I think Miami can compete for the playoffs. OL is massive and good. RB room will be a good one. I think Miami can afford to bring in another W/O. Unless Chance Robinson turns out to be a beast! I know physically, he’ll step on campus looking the part more than any of our W/Os. Defensively…not so much. I just think the secondary is a little sus right now, and I’m not sure if the front 4 depth will be dominating enough to offset that. I love the LB corp. question to the staff would be…why not give Bobby Pruitt a look at safety? 🤷🏾‍♂️
Jim Mora Playoffs GIF

I think there's a chance to probably be a top 15-20 team. Besides Cam there's no one on offense a defense will fear. Michigan's defense shut down a 1st round WR and two Day 2 guys in the playoffs, what do you think they'd do to ours?
OL is massive and inconsistent, RB room looks middling at the moment, and we're looking for freshmen WRs to boost an average unit. Dawson...meh. Defensively we have rotational guys starting at DT. On the flipside, we finally have some depth at DE and talent at LB. We need help at S.

My biggest takeaway from the scrimmage was im still not high on dawson. .

View attachment 286765

Idk if u read what i said but..yea lol

And miss me with that functioning qb **** he wasn’t doing anything high level at Houston or when yall thought he was great early last year. I think he’s a just solid oc
You literally said your biggest takeaway from the game was the OC.

But yeah, he’s not doing anything groundbreaking. He wasn’t really in my wish list for OC either but he can succeed here. Plus he’s miles better than the names floating around after Gattis got canned.

Advertisement
Back