Quick takes from Spring Game

JHH was our best DT last year tool bag
Leonard Taylor was still our best DT last year, even though he had a disapointing season for the most part.
At the end of the day he was legit asked to play inside the A gap like 55% of the time. We didn't have a NT, and he was forced into that position.
That's why we need Ahmad Moten to step up so he can fill that role with CJ Clark (and hopefully marley cook too). JHH will be a 3-5tech along with Horton.

But Taylor probably would have been a lot better if he was allowed to play B gap more. Regardless he was still our best DT.

Advertisement
Leonard Taylor was still our best DT last year, even though he had a disapointing season for the most part.
At the end of the day he was legit asked to play inside the A gap like 55% of the time. We didn't have a NT, and he was forced into that position.
That's why we need Ahmad Moten to step up so he can fill that role with CJ Clark (and hopefully marley cook too). JHH will be a 3-5tech along with Horton.

But Taylor probably would have been a lot better if he was allowed to play B gap more. Regardless he was still our best DT.

Agree on LT. But JHH was surprisingly good last year and with the proper attitude and determination could be really good IMO. Had high hopes for Moten, but he has not stepped up so far and seems portal bound to me. We need to grab another starting NG from the portal. Clark is "okay", not disruptive enough.

Agree on LT. But JHH was surprisingly good last year and with the proper attitude and determination could be really good IMO. Had high hopes for Moten, but he has not stepped up so far and seems portal bound to me. We need to grab another starting NG from the portal. Clark is "okay", not disruptive enough.
I agree in wanting a NT

Advertisement
Advertisement
I wanted to give a few shout-outs without pointing out the obvious like Cam and X

Defense

* The linebacker position looks strong. Popo and Wes flashed. Popo should play a lot with Kiko and Wes. I also see a role for Pruitt (I really like the versatility he brings to the defense). Some good depth pieces with Pulliam and Chase. Didn't see Bobby or Hayes

* Clark looks like a starting DT. We know what JHH can do and Cook looks better than Gore physically. We need Scott to be ready for depth. I am intrigued by Horton, but Moten and Campbell are transfer candidates

* DE - I wish we got to see Alston, but in regards to depth... Lightfoot should get some situational playing time and Bryant looks good in his role. Should be a strong group with Bain, Alston, and a healthy Mesidor

* DB's - Stafford looked like he can provide depth after the top 3. Powell will be valuable in any role we use him. Solid nickel and has that coach on the field quality. Safeties are interesting... No clue who's starting... Harris could, but Riley? Will Patterson be in the top 3?

Offense

* WR room and TE's are deep - Horton should replace Colbie, but Trader and Joseph will see the field too. Carr and Kirk are talented enough to rotate in and give us 7 bodies. Washington had one deep shot that I think he should have come down with but didn't show effort to extend

RB's - This room will be completely different come fall. Portal incoming and there are some that will leave. Lofton will have a role on this offense and did well yesterday. I think he will perform with whatever they ask of him. CJ2 negates his speed when he dances. He needs to be used in open space

OL - I love Rivers, Cooper, and Maui. We know they will be the strength. My biggest takeaway yesterday was Bell. He's going to play!! Not only massive, but well built. Pancake and McCoy have upside too, just keep developing. I like this group

This team can be very good. Give me a starting Safety and portal stud at RB. Probably need another DT in the 2 deep. Scott and Jones will provide much needed depth after the top 4
Really interested in what we do with the center position. Carpenter is serviceable (pause) at this point but it's definitely not the same as last year.

Advertisement
After watching some and talking to people who have been to practice, it’s clear the guy I undervalued the most is McConathy.

I watched two games of his and felt like he was a solid frame bet with an excellent motor.

He’s already surpassed that and he should still be in high school. Edge/pass rushing is so much about motor and toughness and everything I hear says he might even be ahead of Lightfoot right now.

I get some wrong and it seems like I got this one wrong and they got it right.

Marley Cook is a one-gap penetrator if he ever plays 1-tech. You’d never want him playing 0. He’s small. Strong and good leverage, but just doesn’t have the length to do anything more than be an impediment.

He’s a natural 3-tech to my eyes.

Advertisement
Thats what stood out the most when I rewatched. Opposing fans were in the comments saying it too.

Is there any rhyme or reason to it?
Coaches do what makes them comfortable. Methodical offense is what Dawson likes to run. In a spring game, this is magnified by three.

I’m not telling you they’re going to run tempo, because they aren’t going to, but they’ll vary things more in moments they need to during real games.

I remember a bit being made about doing some plays under center for Wards development. Didn't a single one. Actually the play calling was mid season Dawson.

I know they went Vanilla on offense but man does it still look slow.
My biggest takeaway from the scrimmage was im still not high on dawson. Solid oc that runs a college offense that will always work to some degree on this level but its very bland and straight up and down to me

what u consider your vanilla offense tells alot about you as an oc imo

And this isn’t an opinion I formed from only watching the spring game or just Miami games.

Here's the only quick take that matters in regards to Spring Games and I'm sure @DTP agrees with me:

They don't matter. They're a fan event and the only purpose they serve is to get a gameish situation to check disciplinary football both coaching and executing wise from the players (e.g. penalties, running plays correctly, lineups, substitutions, calling plays within the right time slot, just the basic fundamentals).

The fact that they had Andre Johnson and Devin Hester call plays speaks volumes, so, don't overevaluate what you saw on Saturday.

Advertisement
Back