Quick takes from Spring Game

CanesDynasty

Recruit
I wanted to give a few shout-outs without pointing out the obvious like Cam and X

Defense

* The linebacker position looks strong. Popo and Wes flashed. Popo should play a lot with Kiko and Wes. I also see a role for Pruitt (I really like the versatility he brings to the defense). Some good depth pieces with Pulliam and Chase. Didn't see Bobby or Hayes

* Clark looks like a starting DT. We know what JHH can do and Cook looks better than Gore physically. We need Scott to be ready for depth. I am intrigued by Horton, but Moten and Campbell are transfer candidates

* DE - I wish we got to see Alston, but in regards to depth... Lightfoot should get some situational playing time and Bryant looks good in his role. Should be a strong group with Bain, Alston, and a healthy Mesidor

* DB's - Stafford looked like he can provide depth after the top 3. Powell will be valuable in any role we use him. Solid nickel and has that coach on the field quality. Safeties are interesting... No clue who's starting... Harris could, but Riley? Will Patterson be in the top 3?

Offense

* WR room and TE's are deep - Horton should replace Colbie, but Trader and Joseph will see the field too. Carr and Kirk are talented enough to rotate in and give us 7 bodies. Washington had one deep shot that I think he should have come down with but didn't show effort to extend

RB's - This room will be completely different come fall. Portal incoming and there are some that will leave. Lofton will have a role on this offense and did well yesterday. I think he will perform with whatever they ask of him. CJ2 negates his speed when he dances. He needs to be used in open space

OL - I love Rivers, Cooper, and Maui. We know they will be the strength. My biggest takeaway yesterday was Bell. He's going to play!! Not only massive, but well built. Pancake and McCoy have upside too, just keep developing. I like this group

This team can be very good. Give me a starting Safety and portal stud at RB. Probably need another DT in the 2 deep. Scott and Jones will provide much needed depth after the top 4

Last edited:
Advertisement
I wanted to give a few shout-outs without pointing out the obvious like Cam and X

Defense

* The linebacker position looks strong. Popo and Wes flashed. Popo should play a lot with Kiko and Wes. I also see a role for Pruitt (I really like the versatility he brings to the defense). Some good depth pieces with Pulliam and Chase. Didn't see Bobby or Hayes

* Clark looks like a starting DT. We know what JHH can do and Cook looks better than Gore physically. We need Scott to be ready for depth. I am intrigued by Horton, but Moten and Campbell are transfer candidates

* DE - I wish we got to see Alston, but in regards to depth... Lightfoot should get some situational playing time and Bryant looks good in his role. Should be a strong group with Bain, Alston, and a healthy Mesidor

* DB's - Stafford looked like he can provide depth after the top 3. Powell will be valuable in any role we use him. Solid nickel and has that coach on the field quality. Safeties are interesting... No clue who's starting... Harris could, but Riley? Will Patterson be in the top 3?

Offense

* WR room and TE's are deep - Horton should replace Colbie, but Trader and Joseph will see the field too. Carr and Kirk are talented enough to rotate in and give us 7 bodies. Washington had one deep shot that I think he should have come down with but didn't show effort to extend

RB's - This room will be completely different come fall. Portal incoming and there are some that will leave. Lofton will have a role on this offense and did well yesterday. I think he will perform with whatever they ask of him. CJ2 negates his speed when he dances. He needs to be used in open space

OL - I love Rivers, Cooper, and Maui. We know they will be the strength. My biggest takeaway yesterday was Bell. He's going to play!! Not only massive, but well built. Pancake and McCoy have upside too, just keep developing. I like this group

This team can be very good. Give me a starting Safety and portal stud at RB. Probably need another DT in the 2 deep. Scott and Jones will provide much needed depth after the top 4
Good post!

Rb & Db are definitely the biggest portal priorities. I think Scott/Artavius will bring the relief we need at DT. Heard Carpenter struggled a bit at C, wonder how Mario/Mirabal will manage that. Love the young wideouts stepping up, puts us in position to only grab a true difference maker in the portal and be picky. Definitely gotta grab a guy or two in the secondary. And the turnaround in this LB room has been remarkable. From the tea leaves it seems Moten & the Washington bros could be on the outs but we'll see.

Advertisement
the one thing that stood out on the oline was size (pause) ... bell is a big kid and stood out size wise, but the discrepancy was not that big ... you heard lightfoot mention it, but we got some big guys up front ... now we just need to get the best five and gel

i know guys are concerned about our secondary and it's fair criticism ... but we're gonna get after the passer ... i've seen enough ... i don't think enough is being said about malik bryant ... i actually think he's our fourth de (bain, messidor, alston) ... the flexibility along the dline is nice

lb - no portal needed imo ... gotta continue to groom those young guys (pause) ... popo is legit, bissainthe about to have a helluva year ... personally i say you invest in pulliam and pruitt and give them spot snaps vs. bringing in stop gaps

Last edited:
Did E Lofton get dinged up. Saw him leave the field awkwardly and did not notice him return. If this is in the scrimmage thread I apologize but I don’t have time to read through that thread.
One commentator (I listened to WQAM and watched YouTube) did mention that Lofton was limping slightly. 🙏 that it’s minor.

Defense

Offense

OL - I love Rivers, Cooper, and Maui. We know they will be the strength. My biggest takeaway yesterday was Bell. He's going to play!! Not
Defense

Offense

I haven't stopped hearing about McConathy for a week. I'm talking from people in the know...

Last edited:
Advertisement
I didnt think Carpenter struggled, but the interior wIth Coop, Lee, and Cohen really gelled together last season. Lots of rotating at LG with Carpenter at C takes some time for some. Lee and Cohen may be more of exception.

Guidry was also blitizing A gap it seemed.

Cam was really good.
WR's were really good.
Riley Williams impressed me.
Markel Bell can be LT next season.

Wesley, Popo, Pruitt looked really good.

Powell, Porter, Brown in secondary were solid.

I thought Cook and Clark did nice on interior stuffing run game. Lightfoot flashed some.

I didnt think Carpenter struggled, but the interior wIth Coop, Lee, and Cohen really gelled together last season. Lots of rotating at LG with Carpenter at C takes some time for some. Lee and Cohen may be more of exception.

Guidry was also blitizing A gap it seemed.

Cam was really good.
WR's were really good.
Riley Williams impressed me.
Markel Bell can be LT next season.

Wesley, Popo, Pruitt looked really good.

Powell, Porter, Brown in secondary were solid.

I thought Cook and Clark did nice on interior stuffing run game. Lightfoot flashed some.
I think people REALLY undervalued a guy like Cohen. Lee was also a beast and that is known.

Advertisement
It’s why I’ve been hoping to see Mauigoa at LG

Not that RT isn’t important but Mauigoa is the only one on the roster I’ve seen that could fill in for Cohen and we have other guys that could play RT
This actually makes alot of sense and would be a great move as we have alot of good options and bodies at the tackle position but interior guys seem limited from high end talent perspective. Mauigoa would solve that but from a oline perspective some might look at that as demotion as tackle I guess is the "glamour" position on the line.

Advertisement
This actually makes alot of sense and would be a great move as we have alot of good options and bodies at the tackle position but interior guys seem limited from high end talent perspective. Mauigoa would solve that but from a oline perspective some might look at that as demotion as tackle I guess is the "glamour" position on the line.
Spot on. Reason I mentioned it a while back was watching Cohen in some highlights. His athleticism opened up some huge plays for us and it’s tough to find a guard that big and can move like that. Heck Mauigoa could be even better. He’s some kind of freak of nature physically. He struggled at times with the speed rush which is understandable

If Mauigoa ends up an NFL Hall of Fame LT I wouldn’t be shocked, but maybe in a pinch he could be best used on the interior for us

But same time it’s Mirabal I’m not gonna second guess

Defense

Offense

I thought Bell should start at LT the minute I saw his juco film. I knew that was unrealistic though, dude is a beast.

Advertisement
Back