Quick roster look and some thought, just my two cents.

skeeter

Junior
Premium
The only REAL PLAYERS right now on this team, and I’m sure most of you agree…I think most of these range from slightly above average to a couple of potential studs (not enough, but some of these DL kids are really good imo). We need about 8-10 more of these (and some can move up for middle group or frosh, there is definitely time) to be a (9+ win team) and about 15 more to be a consistent top 10 team.

-TVD (His play cost us vs. MTSU and TAMU For sure…But I think it’s more Ponce/Gattis, but all seem to be on same page now (why so long?) and I still think he ends up a top 5-10 CFB QB next year and gets drafted)
-Hedley (Sr.)
-Restrepo
-B. Smith (not a super stud, but I think he belongs…Some may say he’s more in the middle group, but he was really missed underneath vs. Duke)
-Young (what a find! Gives me hope with this staff moving forward in evaluation)
-Mesidor (Hopefully stays)
-D.Jackson (STUD)
-Taylor (very good, may end up a stud)
-Kelly (nice 1st impression)
-Bissainthe (nice 1st impression possible stud)

Serviceable (some with a chance for maybe more)… at their current level (Some are maxed out, some may develop more) you should only have a maybe 3-4 starting on both sides of the ball if you want to be a 9+ win team )

-Stevenson (Has played thru injuries and missed a lot of 2h in hs career…Is probably in the top category if he was at his natural position of safety/star…Special teams gaffes have hurt us, but at least 1 of the 2 long TDs he’s given up were on Kinchens, not TS)
-J.Williams (very good outside of missed tackles and penalty imo, he and Kinchens could end up real players if they take to coaching and take a step forward)
-Kinchens (been hot and cold, I think he will leave UM an above average safety)
-Agude (sr. kinda versatile, like Harvey, should be a decent #3 or #4 end)
-Mallory (SR, **** poor blocker though)
-Caleb Johnson (SR, some reason less snaps than Flagg and looks better to me)
-Ladson
-George (flashes, hoping he joins top category)
-Chaney (anything left after repeated injuries?, was very talented and looked great frosh year imo)
-Parrish (nice player, you need better than him as your starter)
-K.Smith (straight line speed only, but he is a decent #4 WR)
-Nelson (how long is this going to linger though? Is he coming back? M.I.A)
-Cooper (nice 1st impression)
-Couch
-Roberts/Arroyo/JHH (I think all can play honestly, Arroyo out for season)
-Rivers (ehhh, hanging by a thread…Some promise as an interior player)
-Miller (serviceable backup DT and has been used as such by both stats)
-Skinner (needs weight obv, big talent)
-J.Brown (no idea)
-Scaiffe (SR. decent career, too many penalties, though…cristobals’ OL will be better than this and would be more of a #6 or #7)
-Harvey (would be nice #3-#4 DE with an outside chance of being drafted, not a star, but serviceable and playing pretty well)
-Moultrie (SR…Been decent in limited snaps)
-Hutchinson (has shown promise in limited chances, to be a punter for us next year)

(There are another about 10-12 frosh/soph that just don’t know on or would see more (I think Khalil Brantley can contribute for instance, hopefully Citizen comes back strong, Graves, etc)…Brinson and Malik Curtis need to **** or get off the pot, and right now are between categories, threatening to fade to fade away. Balom is MIA…I thought he could contribute here. ). Hopefully some hidden stars amongst the frosh though.

*****But these players…are just not good. And MANY of them are on the field right now. Players like this shouldn’t be starting here. Or maybe you have to plug in 1 in a pinch for a game or two span. Bolded players have directly contributed to losses.

-Flagg
-Steed

-Dunson
-Blades and Frierson (SR…have looked bad when on field, both have had moments in career, but are going out bad and as of now, when they have been called upon…Have hurt us)
-Ivey (SR. having best year, still stinks when asked to cover a real WR)
-Porter (meh, sticks his head in, but looks small and slow to me. A backup. )
-A.Williams (small and plays wild…Doesn’t appear to be coachable)
-K.Washington, Harrell, etc…(BYE)
-C.Williams/Redding (ehhh, not terrible players…Should be productive backups and can contribute…Not good enough for major snaps)
-The rest of the OL (I thought Campbell was playing pretty well, got killed vs. Duke, why was Spool brought in if he stinks…as big a problem as any, luckily I think Cristo/Mirabal will fix this)
-Knighton (has big play ability…And overall middle group talent with some definite big play ability. When used differently he is in a higher group. No vision, can't run inside, fumbles, gets killed in pass pro…Bye)
-Garcia (OK maybe I won’t give up…But my goodness was that ugly…Arm talent noted so maybe proves me wrong. Probably transfers though)
-Franklin (can be a backup and I guess be used to wear on a team, I was a fan...but overall disappointing, looks too heavy)
-Huff (not hurting us lol… but will never see the field)
-Chase Smith (can’t stay healthy, and it’s prevented him from putting on weight, like Garcia…Hopefully proves me wrong. )
-Keontra Smith (Has moments of serviceable and plays HARD, but overall is just small and not a good player…I actually like the kid. Capable of more plays than steed, but misses tackles all over the place...All in all he is just not good enoug.)

Last edited:
Advertisement
So basically besides needing more “Real players”

why we are not 3-4 instead of 5-2 against a weak schedule…IS…

• Adjustment to new staff/culture/regime…Again, Year 1 of a new staff usually offers very little predictive value, I’ve seen bad year 1 losses from coaches that ended up being ok)
  • Injuries (I think TVD beats Duke for instance)…Also…IS THERE SOMETHING TO CRISTOBAL SIMPLY WORKING PLAYERS TOO HARD IN PRACTICE OR FIELD’S CONDITIONING APPROACH. This has to be solved
  • Is Gattis and/or Ponce…Worth a ****? Is change needed here?
  • Outschemed…I think this will end (more confident it will on defense, like for instance does EVERY QB DRAW have to work against us) and as the staff adjusts to what it has and what it wants to recruit. And overall we just don’t look well-coached…Maybe it changes. But again Cristobal’s strength has never been gameday. Talent and coaching both need to improve, I believe they will…Question is, by year 2 or year 3… And how much?

Mentality is also a huge factor. You can’t keep recruiting “me first” guys but expect to play unit driven football. Football coaches aren’t Houdini.
Are kids that transfer "me first" kids or are they team players? I get that there are a few that need to come home but the rest are leaving their picked school to go to a school for a better chance at PT. Wouldn't that be a "me first" kid?

Advertisement
is Ponce the qb coach?? when tvd comes to the sideline I see him talking to probably ga student haven't seen Ponce that much talkin tvd

is Ponce the qb coach?? when tvd comes to the sideline I see him talking to probably ga student haven't seen Ponce that much talkin tvd
Ponce is the QB coach. I haven't watched the film to determine who the kids talk with on the sideline. Ponce could be in the box.

Ponce is the QB coach. I haven't watched the film to determine who the kids talk with on the sideline. Ponce could be in the box.
I've seen Ponce on sideline

Just looked at Staff Directly and strange enough didn't see any GA Offense listed

Advertisement
Funny you posted this I actually sent an excel spreadsheet of what I think next year's roster looks like to a few of my buddies. While I disagree with #11 not being serviceable, I agree he isn't a high end talent. Overall the roster for next year needs a massive influx of talent, particularly on O-Line, LB, DB, WR ... Good news is that we're recruiting really well on the O-Line / LB. I know the other areas are being addressed in recruiting as well. My biggest worry remains CB. Overall our takeaways jive, here are some additional points.

Quick Observations for 2023-2024 Roster Composition (not inclusive of transfers in or recruits on a position by position basis)
  • There will still be a lot of "Manny guys" here next year but the roster will be 60+% Mario's guys after attrition, portal additions and recruits (not included in overall roster).
  • There is 2x more XFL & Enterprise (not playing football after college) talent on this roster than there is NFL talent
  • Cristobal added a massive high end talent infusion on this team
  • There are a good amount of players with talent that it's too early to make a call on
  • Unless we add some DAWGS, this roster ain't winning the ACC
  • By position group NFL Talent
    • Defense
      • DB / Safety - (2)
      • LB - (1)
      • Dline - (5)
    • Offense
      • QB - (1) if TVD stays
      • OL - (2)
      • RB - (2)
      • TE - (1)
      • WR - (2)

So basically besides needing more “Real players”

why we are not 3-4 instead of 5-2 against a weak schedule…IS…

• Adjustment to new staff/culture/regime…Again, Year 1 of a new staff usually offers very little predictive value, I’ve seen bad year 1 losses from coaches that ended up being ok)
  • Injuries (I think TVD beats Duke for instance)…Also…IS THERE SOMETHING TO CRISTOBAL SIMPLY WORKING PLAYERS TOO HARD IN PRACTICE OR FIELD’S CONDITIONING APPROACH. This has to be solved
  • Is Gattis and/or Ponce…Worth a ****? Is change needed here?
  • Outschemed…I think this will end (more confident it will on defense, like for instance does EVERY QB DRAW have to work against us) and as the staff adjusts to what it has and what it wants to recruit. And overall we just don’t look well-coached…Maybe it changes. But again Cristobal’s strength has never been gameday. Talent and coaching both need to improve, I believe they will…Question is, by year 2 or year 3… And how much?
Lol tcu is unbeaten in year 1 of a new coach. Oregon is 6-1 w a new coach and a whole new o system. You don’t always have to suck in year 1. Duke already matched their win total from the last two years combined

DB/Safety = TS2 will make the NFL, Kam is likely to make the NFL, JW0 isn't likely to play DB in the NFL and is delaying the move to LB/Jack.
LB: 31
DL: 6,56,90, maybe Kelly/Moss

QB = too early to say on the backups, TVD maybe
OL = too early to say on many. Nelson maybe, Rivers likely.
RB = too early to say on Chaney/Citizen otherwise 0.
TE = 2-3: Mallory, Arroyo, maybe Skinner
WR = not sure I'd have 2, X due to workethic + size/skillset.

Advertisement
Isn't there a clause allowing us to "oversign" this year as long as attrition happens? If so, I'd like to see about 30+ hit the doors.

We will be going in circles trying to figure that out. LOL
25 per class, did we max out in '22?, do we have enough kids leaving to get under 85 to sign 30+, are we even at 85 now... Lets just assume we can sign over 30 as we will accept some EEs in January that could be counted to '22 with others counting toward '23 and August late additions towards '24 if we really needed to...

We will be going in circles trying to figure that out. LOL
25 per class, did we max out in '22?, do we have enough kids leaving to get under 85 to sign 30+, are we even at 85 now... Lets just assume we can sign over 30 as we will accept some EEs in January that could be counted to '22 with others counting toward '23 and August late additions towards '24 if we really needed to...
Found the article.
25 per class has been waived for a two year period.
https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...sizes-fbs-conference-title-game-requirements/

I think we can sign 85 if we send 85 away..

Advertisement
Lol tcu is unbeaten in year 1 of a new coach. Oregon is 6-1 w a new coach and a whole new o system. You don’t always have to suck in year 1. Duke already matched their win total from the last two years combined
That’s the depressing reality, though: the only way cristobal will be successful is recruiting top 7/8 talent every year. He has the capability and has proven it before at Oregon.

Now, if you’re expecting him and his staff to out scheme other teams and have us actually compete with Bama, etc. With the possible exception of once every 5 years then no. He’s a guy that can at the most get us to 9-11 wins/year and the occasional legitimate ACC title shot. That is better, on average, than the last 20 years. But we’re not going to actually maximize the roster talent and shock the world consistently with him. And we are going to have a lot of incredibly head scratching losses once he actually does accumulate the talent.

Are kids that transfer "me first" kids or are they team players? I get that there are a few that need to come home but the rest are leaving their picked school to go to a school for a better chance at PT. Wouldn't that be a "me first" kid?
There are plenty of team first guys that leave for various other reasons. You could be a team guy but just want to play, You could be a team guy but feel like the coaches don’t have your best interest, etc.

Being “me first“ is how you handle yourself. Are you so selfish that your problems distract everybody else.

The only REAL PLAYERS right now on this team, and I’m sure most of you agree…I think most of these range from slightly above average to a couple of potential studs (not enough, but some of these DL kids are really good imo). We need about 8-10 more of these (and some can move up for middle group or frosh, there is definitely time) to be a (9+ win team) and about 15 more to be a consistent top 10 team.

-TVD (His play cost us vs. MTSU and TAMU For sure…But I think it’s more Ponce/Gattis, but all seem to be on same page now (why so long?) and I still think he ends up a top 5-10 CFB QB next year and gets drafted)
-Hedley (Sr.)
-Restrepo
-B. Smith (not a super stud, but I think he belongs…Some may say he’s more in the middle group, but he was really missed underneath vs. Duke)
-Young (what a find! Gives me hope with this staff moving forward in evaluation)
-Mesidor (Hopefully stays)
-D.Jackson (STUD)
-Taylor (very good, may end up a stud)
-Kelly (nice 1st impression)
-Bissainthe (nice 1st impression possible stud)

Serviceable (some with a chance for maybe more)… at their current level (Some are maxed out, some may develop more) you should only have a maybe 3-4 starting on both sides of the ball if you want to be a 9+ win team )

-Stevenson (Has played thru injuries and missed a lot of 2h in hs career…Is probably in the top category if he was at his natural position of safety/star…Special teams gaffes have hurt us, but at least 1 of the 2 long TDs he’s given up were on Kinchens, not TS)
-J.Williams (very good outside of missed tackles and penalty imo, he and Kinchens could end up real players if they take to coaching and take a step forward)
-Kinchens (been hot and cold, I think he will leave UM an above average safety)
-Agude (sr. kinda versatile, like Harvey, should be a decent #3 or #4 end)
-Mallory (SR, **** poor blocker though)
-Caleb Johnson (SR, some reason less snaps than Flagg and looks better to me)
-Ladson
-George (flashes, hoping he joins top category)
-Chaney (anything left after repeated injuries?, was very talented and looked great frosh year imo)
-Parrish (nice player, you need better than him as your starter)
-K.Smith (straight line speed only, but he is a decent #4 WR)
-Nelson (how long is this going to linger though? Is he coming back? M.I.A)
-Cooper (nice 1st impression)
-Couch
-Roberts/Arroyo/JHH (I think all can play honestly, Arroyo out for season)
-Rivers (ehhh, hanging by a thread…Some promise as an interior player)
-Miller (serviceable backup DT and has been used as such by both stats)
-Skinner (needs weight obv, big talent)
-J.Brown (no idea)
-Scaiffe (SR. decent career, too many penalties, though…cristobals’ OL will be better than this and would be more of a #6 or #7)
-Harvey (would be nice #3-#4 DE with an outside chance of being drafted, not a star, but serviceable and playing pretty well)
-Moultrie (SR…Been decent in limited snaps)
-Hutchinson (has shown promise in limited chances, to be a punter for us next year)

(There are another about 10-12 frosh/soph that just don’t know on or would see more (I think Khalil Brantley can contribute for instance, hopefully Citizen comes back strong, Graves, etc)…Brinson and Malik Curtis need to **** or get off the pot, and right now are between categories, threatening to fade to fade away. Balom is MIA…I thought he could contribute here. ). Hopefully some hidden stars amongst the frosh though.

*****But these players…are just not good. And MANY of them are on the field right now. Players like this shouldn’t be starting here. Or maybe you have to plug in 1 in a pinch for a game or two span. Bolded players have directly contributed to losses.

-Flagg
-Steed

-Dunson
-Blades and Frierson (SR…have looked bad when on field, both have had moments in career, but are going out bad and as of now, when they have been called upon…Have hurt us)
-Ivey (SR. having best year, still stinks when asked to cover a real WR)
-Porter (meh, sticks his head in, but looks small and slow to me. A backup. )
-A.Williams (small and plays wild…Doesn’t appear to be coachable)
-K.Washington, Harrell, etc…(BYE)
-C.Williams/Redding (ehhh, not terrible players…Should be productive backups and can contribute…Not good enough for major snaps)
-The rest of the OL (I thought Campbell was playing pretty well, got killed vs. Duke, why was Spool brought in if he stinks…as big a problem as any, luckily I think Cristo/Mirabal will fix this)
-Knighton (has big play ability…And overall middle group talent with some definite big play ability. When used differently he is in a higher group. No vision, can't run inside, fumbles, gets killed in pass pro…Bye)
-Garcia (OK maybe I won’t give up…But my goodness was that ugly…Arm talent noted so maybe proves me wrong. Probably transfers though)
-Franklin (can be a backup and I guess be used to wear on a team, I was a fan...but overall disappointing, looks too heavy)
-Huff (not hurting us lol… but will never see the field)
-Chase Smith (can’t stay healthy, and it’s prevented him from putting on weight, like Garcia…Hopefully proves me wrong. )
-Keontra Smith (Has moments of serviceable and plays HARD, but overall is just small and not a good player…Capable of more plays than steed, but misses tackles all over the place)
Your on drugs if you think Parrish is……..“Serviceable“, Colbie and him are the 2 best players on offense

There are plenty of team first guys that leave for various other reasons. You could be a team guy but just want to play, You could be a team guy but feel like the coaches don’t have your best interest, etc.

Being “me first“ is how you handle yourself. Are you so selfish that your problems distract everybody else.
I would be interested in seeing how many of the transfer kids played for the same HS for 4 years. Tyrique Stevenson: South Dade to Southridge is just one example. While we can say there are various other reasons... a lot of those border the state of "Me First."

Advertisement
Back