quick question fellas . Steak.

Advertisement
That's always predicated by the quality of the cut and the marbling in the meat. If your steaks check both those boxes, then salt, pepper, and brown butter if your cast iron prepping. Let the meat speak for itself.

Advertisement
Advertisement
I’m not sure if there’s a Publix Greenwise near any of you. However, if there is, you can buy a full rack of your favorite cut and dry age it for free. They’ll trim it up and cut to your specs. I picked up a 34 day dry aged NY today. Gave me 9 steaks at an inch and a quarter for $134. I usually wait until it’s on sale. These were $8.99 a LB lmao. It’s choice beef, not prime. The one i go to was a greenwise and converted back to a regular Publix. They don’t sell prime there. However, for just weekend grilling, it’s a fun way to spend nothing for a great steak.
View attachment 127490

A bunch of us are from Orlando, the Publix HQ is down the road in Lakeland.

But I still prefer local places. I go to Petty's in Longwood any time I want high quality protein. I've frequently had them custom-grind hamburger meat for me, sometimes I get 50-50 (half-bacon) and I've also done blends that include filet and other prime cuts.

Much like Ben Shapiro, moisture is the issue for me. On Sunday’s I am either roasting a chicken or a steak. That’s basically the one day a week where we are able to really cook. I like supporting the local butchers.

Night before I cook a steak, I put some salt on it to draw out as much of the liquid at the surface level as I can. I’m able to sear-roast using a cast iron skillet and gas burner & oven. I get a fat steak and I want it as dry as possible for that initial sear.

I score it and try to leave it in the fridge overnight on a cookie rack, sitting on top of a neoprene cutting board; this way the the drippings have somewhere to collect that’s easy to clean. The air gets to the steak. Periodically, I wipe off any of the liquid that pools at the surface. By the time it’s out of the fridge - it is bone dry.

The sacrifice I make is getting it to room temp. I think it will condensate if I leave it out too long. Additionally, it’s easy to over salt depending on if/how you season it.

I put a dry rub on about 15 minutes prior to cooking. It takes me about 25 minutes to get my entire meal prep done. I set the oven to 500 and put canola in the cast iron skillet and sit it on a burner at medium high. Once the canola oil is ready, I cook strips and t bone at 2:30 on the top and bottom. For ribeyes, it’s ~2 minutes if I sear all the sides.

I drain as much of the oil in a sauce pot, I lightly coat the steaks with olive oil, I put in a pad or 2 of butter - 1 for each side - and some rosemary in the skillet. Lately, I’ve been slicing heads of garlic in half and throwing EM I’m too. Easy way to have roasted garlic to spread on whatever.

Oven for ~6 each side, I like it rare/medium rare. 500 degrees. Once done, I let it rest for 18-20 minutes before I cut it. I do something with the drippings in the skillet.

I’ve never ordered Pittsburgh style, but I’m going for something on the low- end of the spectrum. I want that sweet sweet crust on the outside - not burnt. I am aiming for the medium-rare bulls-eye. If I miss, I want to miss short and be rare than overcooked. It’s getting close to Sunday.

Rub olive oil on steak season with salt pepper 1 hour before grill. 2 mins. Spin the steak after 2 more mins flip pour butter on top repeat 2 mins spin. Remove from grill let steak sit for 20 minutes

Attachments

• 20200418_191356.jpg
    20200418_191356.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 2

But I still prefer local places. I go to Petty's in Longwood any time I want high quality protein. I've frequently had them custom-grind hamburger meat for me, sometimes I get 50-50 (half-bacon) and I've also done blends that include filet and other prime cuts.
Petty's wipes there *** with any competition....

Advertisement

Pettys is the truth. Saturday mornings with my pops started at pettys sneaking a browsing beer then Lombardis for some shrimp.

Advertisement
You definitely don’t season after.

Season immediately before cooking with salt, pepper, cumin and jalapeño powder. Bake in oven at 225 degrees until 135 degrees in center then sear on each side in a cast iron pan at 700 degrees for one minute. Set aside and cover for 10 minutes then serve.
close thread

Spade L Ranch is the greatest steak rub if all time. It's not widely available but everyone I share it with ends up buying it.

Advertisement
Back