Questions for Michael Nwoko

Advertisement
He has soft touch around the rim and with the jump hooks with either hand, and he is already strong and a good finisher. It’s been a while since we saw a big guy play with an old-fashioned back tor the basket game. This young man will be fun to watch. He could be our Adama Sanogo if he continues to get stronger.
Reminds me of a skinny reggie johnson with the touch around the basket

Reminds me of a skinny reggie johnson with the touch around the basket
Reggie Johnson? Of all people, that's who he reminds you of? C'mon now. Moves a lot better than Reggie ever did. I think he's got more similarities to Jekiri and Dewan. Nwoko is a big athletic guy. He seems to be a bit more polished and skilled as an incoming freshmen than those two however.

Reggie Johnson? Of all people, that's who he reminds you of? C'mon now. Moves a lot better than Reggie ever did. I think he's got more similarities to Jekiri and Dewan. Nwoko is a big athletic guy. He seems to be a bit more polished and skilled as an incoming freshmen than those two however.
Jekiri had almost no skill around the basket when he got here. Dewan isn't a bad comp, although Dewan was much longer.

I like the Reggie comp, although obviously the body type is completely different. But Reggie had the best hands of any UM big of the last 25 years imo. Nwoko seems to share that trait.

Advertisement
Jekiri had almost no skill around the basket when he got here. Dewan isn't a bad comp, although Dewan was much longer.

I like the Reggie comp, although obviously the body type is completely different. But Reggie had the best hands of any UM big of the last 25 years imo. Nwoko seems to share that trait.

Best hands?

To me that’s (“hands down”) Omier. His back to the basket game is only limited by his length… not his hands or touch imo.

Advertisement
Apologies if already posted. From 247

At 6-foot-9 and an approximate 240-pounds, Nwoko brings a level of size that Miami does not currently have on their roster. He’s powerful from head-to-toe and very physical on both ends of the floor. Offensively, he does his best work inside the paint. He’s an emphatic above-the-rim finisher. He is an excellent offensive rebounder who not only has a good nose for the ball, but also good technique swimming around opposing big men trying to block him out. He is a quality rim-runner at the center position, has good timing coming out of the dunker spot, and massive hands. While his best offense is a dunk right now, he’s shown some flashes of a baby hook over his left shoulder in the post and with some mid-range touch. His ability to make free-throws will also be important. He converted only 50% in the EYBL this season (20-40) but made 75% in FIBA play (18-24).

Defensively, it is again Nwoko’s strength and physicality that first jumps out. He will be able to bang in the post from day one and is generally very active on that end of the floor. While his shot-blocking metrics have been somewhat modest, he’s an active and aware weak side defender, whose physical presence provides a deterrent in the lane. He’s a solid defensive rebounder, who has the potential to make that a major staple of his game. Nwoko may not be especially switchable, but is mobile enough to hedge and recover when guarding ball-screens.

IMG_7859.jpeg

He’s enrolled!

Advertisement
His game is so finesse for being slightly undersized C at 6’9 245lb. He plays with an outdated post up game up, backing into the post but without real strength. I mean that was international play and he didn’t bully anyone. He has excellent touch and I hope he is really working on his outside shooting game. He didn’t flash any above the rim athleticism, any grit of just out working his opponent for rebounds or just great positioning. Did he make any athletic defensive moves? Did he have any defensive highlights? He is silky smooth and if he can improve range, coach L is going to have to light a fire under him with aggressiveness.

Advertisement
Back