Question on Moten

terra99pin

Redshirt Freshman
Just curious if any of the more knowledgeable recruiting guys have a feeling for when he will be able to contribute. It would be huge if he can give us something. Seeing what his former teammate Joey Bosa did this year at Ohio State, it makes me hopeful that he'll come in a lot more ready than most high school guys. On the other hand it seems like his style of play is a lot closer to another STA guy Jelani Hamilton, who obviously is taking a lot longer to develop.

Overall I would tend to think that it's unrealistic to expect similar production to Bosa, since it's probably easier to come in as a freshman and play DE like Bosa did, but I would love to hear what others think.

On a related topic, are people expecting anything from Jelani this year?

Advertisement
I think right away he is much thicker than Hamilton

NG Wyche Huetelou
DT Pierre Moten/Hamilton

Jelani was also hurt with that knee injury his senior year. I don't think he ever got back on track. We really really need him this year

Moten has a much better build than Hamilton and is more physical than he was in high school. Moten is more of a true D-lineman where Hamilton is just a big *** guy who happens to be playing D-line. (if that makes sense) I always considered Hamilton extremely raw.

a lot of people who seen moten in person say he is an outright stud. he is also entering in may so he can hit the weights.

Advertisement
Hamilton is an animal based on sheer size. Moten has a better build and is stout against the run, but I don't think he's ready physically to take on guards. Joey Bosa is one of the strongest high school players I've ever seen, rumor was that he was on the juice. Also, DE is an easier transition than DT from HS to college. Moten will be productive, but don't expect Bosa type production his freshman year.

Who is the last D lineman that had an impact at UM like Bosa did at any point of the last several years?

Moten will play early. His size and great coaching he received at STA will get him on the field quickly. Doubt he redshirts.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Moten will play early. His size and great coaching he received at STA will get him on the field quickly. Doubt he redshirts.

Didn't seem to work for Hamilton.
He didn't play as a true freshman?

I can't recall if Hamilton played as a freshmen, but I know he didn't make any plays.

2012 (True Freshman): Played in five games as reserve along defensive line ... Finished season with six tackles, 1.0 tackle-for-loss and safety ... Made UM debut at Boston College ... Recorded three tackles and 1.0 tackle-for-loss in win over Bethune-Cookman ... Tallied safety in win vs. NC State ... Recorded three tackles in loss at Notre Dame ... Played against USF, but did not record any stats ... Earned letter.

Advertisement

Didn't seem to work for Hamilton.
He didn't play as a true freshman?

He barely plays NOW. lol

Right.

Up until now, he's a been a JAG. But, I will say that DL (esp DT) usually have to wait until their 3rd/4th year in the program before making a splash.,

Freshman year or any year? Vernon was 2nd team all acc his soph year with 7 sacks and was good as a freshman. Campbell was soph year was an All American in 2006. Marcus Robinson and Marcus Forston were freshman all americans on the DL then regressed under the old regime..

Freshman year or any year? Vernon was 2nd team all acc his soph year with 7 sacks and was good as a freshman. Campbell was soph year was an All American in 2006. Marcus Robinson and Marcus Forston were freshman all americans on the DL then regressed under the old regime..

Meant to quote the post about A UM making an impact like Bosa did at OSU ealry..

Advertisement
Back