Question for the Rumph haters

Albe305

Freshman
What currently available candidate that is equally or better qualified would yall want to replace him with?

I think coach Rumph has done a fair job recruiting considering our record on the field these past two seasons and he's done a great job developing our corner backs over the past few years. Not saying that Rumph can't recruit! Cause he's proved that he can, but I'd much rather a coach that can develop talent > a coach that can only bring in talent.

Go CANES!

Advertisement
Advertisement
Answers from Canes fans:

Philip Buchanon
Antrel Rolle
Bennie Blades
Brandon Merriweather
Kenny Phillips

And any other DB that was decent here who they want to be a DB coach until they're not EXACTLY what they expect and hate them.

Attachments

• F59A4B6B-92FC-4BC6-BEC3-A4437FFEDD42.png
    F59A4B6B-92FC-4BC6-BEC3-A4437FFEDD42.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 85
Advertisement
Answers from Canes fans:

Philip Buchanon
Antrel Rolle
Bennie Blades
Brandon Merriweather
Kenny Phillips

And any other DB that was decent here who they want to be a DB coach until they're not EXACTLY what they expect and hate them.

ummmm how bout ed reed

ummmm how bout ed reed

Well I mean he's not really available, but this definitely applies to him.

I'm sure the entire fanbase is going to hate Reed if we're not 27-0 next season. But hey, let's just hire a bunch of 'Canes greats as position coaches. Because everyone loves:

Randy Shannon
Art Kehoe
Mike Rumph
Mark Richt

And everyone else who stuck around The U long enough to be vilified for their efforts.

Advertisement
What currently available candidate that is equally or better qualified would yall want to replace him with?

I think coach Rumph has done a fair job recruiting considering our record on the field these past two seasons and he's done a great job developing our corner backs over the past few years. Not saying that Rumph can't recruit! Cause he's proved that he can, but I'd much rather a coach that can develop talent > a coach that can only bring in talent.

Go CANES!
I get the use of the word “available” but plenty of “unavailable” coaches at other schools which are lesser than Miami would become “available” if offered - like Lashlee.

I’d kill multiple birds with one stone. Hire Fran Brown as DC, let him handle CB’s and improve recruiting on the D. Ideally, this should have been done from the start. It would be harder now I’d think.

This is the type of move a better coach makes IMO as opposed to hiring Baker and sticking with the group we have.

I get the use of the word “available” but plenty of “unavailable” coaches at other schools which are lesser than Miami would become “available” if offered - like Lashlee.

I’d kill multiple birds with one stone. Hire Fran Brown as DC, let him handle CB’s and improve recruiting on the D. Ideally, this should have been done from the start. It would be harder now I’d think.

This is the type of move a better coach makes IMO as opposed to hiring Baker and sticking with the group we have.
And now on top of it, you have an open coaching spot. You can either hire a dedicated special teams coach or - what I would do is have Coach Field handle ST’s and now you have 9 on field coaches and you savagely take the gaytor boogeyman, Ed Reed, out on the road into recruits’ homes.

“Hello 5 star DB and parents in Bluefield, WV.... Have you met Ed???”

Our alumni players are great resources. Manny can do it - he chooses not to. For all he’s done with the offense in the off-season, this defense was a house of cards last year. The tackling and basics were awful. I am hoping it changes but I don’t know how with the same exact staff.

Rumph gets hate because he didn't deliver talent when he was at American. He gets hate for not delivering Campbell, Surtain and every other 5 star DB.

You could have the best DB coach in america down here and they would lose out too. Just like Coley was a recruiting G at FSU and UGA but was mortal here. He will look great at aTm too.

Everyone talks about bags and a winning culture as to why these dudes dip for the SEC top schools but Rumph is suppose to land these dudes over those obstacles because he simply should.

If this program starts winning and does what those SEC schools do. Then when Rumph chokes getting a 5 star guy. You have every right to talk down about him.

More is made about Rumph but little is said about the horrific LB recruiting. Recruiting slow *** dudes that can't stay healthy. Thank god Shaq never got hurt. He wasn't the greatest but could you imagine if he was out for any length of time. The brittle bunch would've been laid to dust within a few snaps.

Advertisement
The only reason people hate him is because he could not pull Campbell and Surtain. Who went to Georgia and Alabama respectively. They conveniently forget that every year, he somehow manages to pull a four star CB out of nowhere right before signing day. Malek Young, Jhavonte Dean, Nigel Bethel(3*), Christian Williams and Isaiah Dunson. Young was in that very first class when Richt first got hired. Dean was the top juco corner. Bethel was admittedly a plan B guy, Williams was stolen right from Alabama, and Dunson wasn’t even on anybody’s radar but when Taggart got canned, Rumph swept in like a hawk and scooped him up. He may miss on some targets but come signing day, there’s always some really nice CB prospects signing LOIs

Rumph is an excellent technical coach. You can question his recruiting ability but not his coaching. A few victories will take care of that. In fact all our coaches will become star recruiters with victories

Advertisement
Back