Question for the board...

5XNC

Senior
Which position is probably the toughest and least likely for an incoming freshmen to come in and start?

Advertisement

5XNC

Senior
Qb b/c they have to learn the plays but as far as making the transition physically which is the toughest?

Zbrod95

Thank God for the Columbus Mafia
QB, Safety, and Mike linebacker

Guys who start as freshmen in these specific positions are usually studs

AUcane

All-ACC
Premium
QB USED to be it but not anymore.

I'd say DT or possibly OT. Guard is not that uncommon but tackle more uncommon.

Safety possibly

Advertisement

407cane

All-ACC
QB

I could see LT , but a lot more recruits are coming in and are physically ready

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

5XNC

Senior
Cmon we had 3 guys come in and start at lb. kids are ready to start at lb and db today. Yeah, anyone who comes in and starts at any position from hs is obviously a stud.

And qb isn’t that tough today.

Oline and dline from a physical standpoint is the least common position kids come in and start from day 1.

Insanecane

Junior
Center, LT, and DT is my answer.

Center makes the blocking calls on the line he is the QB of the O-line. It is a tough position to play physically as not only do you have to deal with snapping the ball but that second gives a DT/NT time to push your face into the dirt if you aren't explosive enough. And then there's inside blitzes, which the center oftentimes has the responsibility to pick up.
LT has a **** ton of blocks and adjustments to make, not to mention they usually deal with the best DE on the team and of course LB/DB blitzers. There is a reason why LT's get paid second only to QB's in the NFL.

DT also has to know their gap assignments, but IMO DT is more about being physically ready.

Last edited:

Oh Snap

joejoejoejoe
Defensive tackle for sure

Originally I thought you were asking based on our current roster. I'd say QB if that were the question.

DTP

TuFf AnD fIzZiCaL!
QB is still the toughest position for an incoming freshman. More and more high schools have incorporated some type of spread offense so the learning curve isn't as steep as it used to be but it's rare for a true freshman to come in and succeed right away. At best, the OC has to water down the playbook and/or only use half the field on passing plays. MLB is probably the toughest spot on defense for a true freshman to play since he's usually the guy making calls and adjustments on the field. DT only because few 18 year old kids are strong enough coming right out of high school.

gcane44

Junior
QB USED to be it but not anymore.

I'd say DT or possibly OT. Guard is not that uncommon but tackle more uncommon.

Safety possibly

It's still QB. There are probably about ten success stories of true freshman starting at any position mentioned for every one success story of true freshman starting at QB.

We spent the whole offseason talking about how no team has ever really won big with a true freshman QB with the exception of Jalen Hurts (who was an early enrollee and was essentially a RB)

Advertisement

5XNC

Senior
I’m just sayin from a physical standpoint, the position where the gap in the physical aspect of the game and those demands is the greatest from hs to college. The Oline and dt.

gcane44

Junior
I’m just sayin from a physical standpoint, the position where the gap in the physical aspect of the game and those demands is the greatest from hs to college. The Oline and dt.

So a completely different question from what was initially proposed? Did you even want people to answer or did you just want to ask so you can tell us your answer?

406Cane

Freshman
I'd say QB, but it depends on the offense. If you're throwing a real nuanced system right at them, they're going to struggle. Goes for a lot of positions though, I guess.