Question for Pete or D$

I'll go ahead and field this question for them, but I will expand it to the state of Florida also.

Of the top 30 prospects in the state (247) we have one commit that is rumored to be looking.

They haven't done jack **** yet, and absolutely should not be getting praise in recruiting considering this is the "new coach first year bump" year. Any alleged progress can be considered no more than that, alleged. We don't have STA's best player, we don't have Deerfield Beach best player, we don't have BTW best player, don't have Boyd Anderson best player, lost Columbus and won't get him back, we don't have any of the American Heritage kids. And that is just locally.

It might actually be worse. F.

More of the usual. 100% incorrect. Previously alot of kids especially out of state elite weren't even considering us. That isn't something you'll see huge results for with kids coming in for 17 class (not even 1 full year) it's the 18,19 etc kids that you'll see it in. We are most certainly being considered & looked at by those kids & you see it nation wide with this staff. I just saw an entire team in California throwing up the U & chanting... you have the number 1 corner in the country looking at us from cali in year 1 when the kid admitted he never even spoke to the previous staff. The buzz is definitely building back up & it will only continue to.

I hope you are right.
But I think we have heard this before...it's always a year or two away.

Advertisement
None of it matters until we win at least one game we're not supposed to win or a coin flip game, at least. The real buzz in the late 90s began post-UCLA.

We had at least 3 chances this year and blew them all. The FSU one is egregious. The UNC loss is inexplicable with the magic trick we pulled on defense in the 2nd half. The VT loss is more understandable, but a definite missed opportunity for a statement. The ND loss isn't even on my list because I consider it a through and through bad loss - one where, even if we had won, minimal legitimate buzz of beating a terrible team. We had one semi-solid victory this year: Pitt. And, their defense was so bad I would have torn my hair out if we didn't score at least 35 against them.

So, why expect more than mediocre results in recruiting until we exceed mediocre results on the field? If it happens, great. If it doesn't, we deserve it. Win meaningful games. Hopefully, some of the recruits want to be a part of winning meaningful games without having to see it first.

Last edited:
None of it matters until we win at least one game we're not supposed to win or a coin flip game, at least. The real buzz in the late 90s began post-UCLA.

And the UCLA game was a week after getting steam-rolled at Syracuse.
Good points as usual regarding the need to show recruits that we can win big-games.
This is an even bigger for the present day Canes because we've been dysfunctional diarrhea
for so many years.
At least back in 1998 when we beat UCLA, the recruits of that era were old enough to remember
some of the good UM teams.
That's completely missing these days.

I'll go ahead and field this question for them, but I will expand it to the state of Florida also.

Of the top 30 prospects in the state (247) we have one commit that is rumored to be looking.

They haven't done jack **** yet, and absolutely should not be getting praise in recruiting considering this is the "new coach first year bump" year. Any alleged progress can be considered no more than that, alleged. We don't have STA's best player, we don't have Deerfield Beach best player, we don't have BTW best player, don't have Boyd Anderson best player, lost Columbus and won't get him back, we don't have any of the American Heritage kids. And that is just locally.

More of the usual. 100% incorrect. Previously alot of kids especially out of state elite weren't even considering us. That isn't something you'll see huge results for with kids coming in for 17 class (not even 1 full year) it's the 18,19 etc kids that you'll see it in. We are most certainly being considered & looked at by those kids & you see it nation wide with this staff. I just saw an entire team in California throwing up the U & chanting... you have the number 1 corner in the country looking at us from cali in year 1 when the kid admitted he never even spoke to the previous staff. The buzz is definitely building back up & it will only continue to.

Next year is next year, 2019 is 2019. None of what I posted, as it applies to this year is incorrect. More of the usual, no reading comprehension.

No,obviously you have no reading comprehension. Devonta smith is elite & he's not local. Jeremiah Holloman is elite & he's not local. Anthony mcfarland is elite & not local.Trajan bandy, Dj Johnson, etc etc. This year & elite. Every one of them have said we weren't even under consideration with the last staff. So where is your reading comprehension if it was asked have we seen a difference from this staff to the last? The facts answer the question all by itself,next year be damned even though that's when you'll really start seeing the difference.

Next year is next year, 2019 is 2019. None of what I posted, as it applies to this year is incorrect. More of the usual, no reading comprehension.

No,obviously you have no reading comprehension. Devonta smith is elite & he's not local. Jeremiah Holloman is elite & he's not local. Anthony mcfarland is elite & not local.Trajan bandy, Dj Johnson, etc etc. This year & elite. Every one of them have said we weren't even under consideration with the last staff. So where is your reading comprehension if it was asked have we seen a difference from this staff to the last? The facts answer the question all by itself,next year be damned even though that's when you'll really start seeing the difference.

It is abundantly clear that you need to re read the OP.

Advertisement

We had at least 3 chances this year and blew them all. The FSU one is egregious. The UNC loss is inexplicable with the magic trick we pulled on defense in the 2nd half. The VT loss is more understandable, but a definite missed opportunity for a statement. The ND loss isn't even on my list because I consider it a through and through bad loss - one where, even if we had won, minimal legitimate buzz of beating a terrible team. We had one semi-solid victory this year: Pitt. And, their defense was so bad I would have torn my hair out if we didn't score at least 35 against them.

So, why expect more than mediocre results in recruiting until we exceed mediocre results on the field? If it happens, great. If it doesn't, we deserve it. Win meaningful games. Hopefully, some of the recruits want to be a part of winning meaningful games without having to see it first.

The main thing these kids really need to learn which is what cmr has been saying all year is how to win. With butch we didn't really understand that until the lesson set in that we can't never think the game is against the other team. As long as we come out & do what we do & never leave it on the field to where a refund can decide a game we would under preform. Reality is this team still doesn't understand that. We should realistically if everything was straight up be 10-2 at worst. The refs decided our losses against fsu & unc. Taking TD from us & giving calls to them. The game being played evenly on the field the only 1 we definitely lose is VT. We had alot of horrible habits that had to be broke & still do. But it doesn't happen overnight

I just re read it again. Self explanatory like I said.

Yeah, I am looking at your posts littering the recruiting board right now, you should question what you think is self explanatory based on your apparent level of literacy.

Guessing you glossed right over phrases like "especially locally" and "thus far" considering you are talking about out of state kids (3 of 4 not committed to us of course) and the 2019 class.

Anyway, happy holidays.

Listing the top 30 prospects from FL could be misleading

Of the top 30 prospects only two are from Miami Dade (Donaldson and Henderson) so that means most of the prospects Miami are recruiting are listed low by 247. Should Miami not recruit South Florida

Also IMG Academy has 10 prospects out of the 30 and most of those guys are from other states and don't really sign with Florida schools.

Out of the big three Fsu (6 commits), Florida (3 commits), Miami (1)

I agree recruiting can be better but when most of our commits come from south Florida and aren't listed high then it won't really show the real insight behind the numbers. North Florida and IMG accounts for the majority of the top state prospects and those just are Miami main recruiting areas

Advertisement

Yeah, I am looking at your posts littering the recruiting board right now, you should question what you think is self explanatory based on your apparent level of literacy.

Guessing you glossed right over phrases like "especially locally" and "thus far" considering you are talking about out of state kids (3 of 4 not committed to us of course) and the 2019 class.

Anyway, happy holidays.

Spare your jabs as I'm not a child and therefore I'm unaffected by barbs thrown from a social media killer. Funny part is I'd see your point if you didn't choose to ignore the broader word age which sets up the context of his statement. One such example would be "elite recruits & high school coaches" . Therefore I'd say it's pertinent regardless of local or not that they're elite. All of the kids I mentioned fit the tab. Lastly it's all gotta be thus far regardless of a verbal or not,considering no one in the country could've signed a nli as of yet. When you ask how a staff is doing thus far all you can look upon is progress from the core base ur concern relates to football players & coaches. Tons of kids we read these articles about have stated we weren't a glimpse in their eye this time last year as a result of the prior staff. The coaches have stated what an amazing job were doing repairing burnt bridges & relationships long neglected. That sums up what he asked. Not sure why there's an argument in that. Regardless everyone has an opinion for whatever misguided reasons. Me I'm done with this though. Thanks for the holiday wishes.

This dude walked in here and blew the roof off the joint with facts. Walked in here with his dyck hanging out and dared you sissies to touch it.

Yep, "facts". Sometimes them facts are misleading though. Fact is we have no idea how any of the best players on each team will translate to college ball. That is the job of the staff to evaluate and determine if he is a good fit. Fact is we do not know if the player is coachable. Fact is we don't know if they will remain elegible, or stay out of trouble. That is the job of the staff to determine.

One of the worst facts is when we recruit me type players, or guys with designs on just getting to the next level. They just don't seem to work here. Our successes have not been built on class rankings, **** we used to joke at FSU for winning another recruiting title and us beating them on the field. Our successes were built on finding the player that fit the Miami mold, fast, mean and hungry. Yes, we have some work to do recruiting wise, but I can only guess Al left the recruiting base like he left the team, almost empty, and in a severe need of repair.

To the OP..can you list the players that we currently have committed that you would throw back and like to be replaced? I'm curious..

Advertisement

Haven't we heard that we are in it for those Heritage linemen, who at the start of the season were tone deaf to us? If a recruit can't tell the difference in this staff verses the past two, smh!!! Those 4 loses were not good, and I hated them. The bounce back games have been just as good though. We've struggled mightily with teams he should not have, but the past 3 have been ole school cane *** kicking! Let's see what early January and February looks like before we jump off a cliff. I think this staff will deliver!!!

Being "in the game" for top talent like the Heritage OL duo or other nationally coveted recruits doesn't signify change. Finishing second is the same as finishing last in recruiting. You either get results or you don't. If we can actually start improving this class' blue-chip ratio by adding guys like Holloman, Slaton, etc. while holding onto Johnson, then perspectives will change.

The 2017 class as currently constructed is nowhere near what most were anticipating with the first-year bump for a coach who consistently reeled in Top 10 classes for a decade while at Georgia. There's plenty of time to change that, but no one's going to look ahead to future years (i.e. 2018 DB crop is incredible, bro) if we fill out this class with backup plans after failing to land much more premier talent.

Being "in the game" for top talent like the Heritage OL duo or other nationally coveted recruits doesn't signify change. Finishing second is the same as finishing last in recruiting. You either get results or you don't. If we can actually start improving this class' blue-chip ratio by adding guys like Holloman, Slaton, etc. while holding onto Johnson, then perspectives will change.

The 2017 class as currently constructed is nowhere near what most were anticipating with the first-year bump for a coach who consistently reeled in Top 10 classes for a decade while at Georgia. There's plenty of time to change that, but no one's going to look ahead to future years (i.e. 2018 DB crop is incredible, bro) if we fill out this class with backup plans after failing to land much more premier talent.

All good points.
Not sure why folks are mentioning 2018 (and beyond) class as those players won't be available for 2017 season.
Also agree in "being in the game" comment.
Being in the game is like being at a club filled with supermodels - means nothing if I am not walking out with
one! lol.

One more thing....not necessarily bothered by landing Plan B and Cs.....Butch actually built this program
with those type of players when the other 2 north Florida schools were winning big-time.
But we still need to land some PlanA, and those PlanB have to be solid picks, not last-second "OMG!!!!"
desperation stuff.

Advertisement

I agree with this, I'm saying we should see what happens over the next several weeks. I don't think anyone was expecting them to close this past year with the guys they did. I'm like most one here, worried! Just trying to see how the next several weeks go.

All good points.
Not sure why folks are mentioning 2018 (and beyond) class as those players won't be available for 2017 season.
Being in the game is like being at a club filled with supermodels - means nothing if I am not walking out with
one! lol.

One more thing....not necessarily bothered by landing Plan B and Cs.....Butch actually built this program
with those type of players when the other 2 north Florida schools were winning big-time.
But we still need to land some PlanA, and those PlanB have to be solid picks, not last-second "OMG!!!!"
desperation stuff.
The problem with plan B and C kids is that, while many, many hit, just as many or more miss these days. Those players flying under the radar are available at a far less ratio than 20 years ago because of the technological infrastructure providing accessibility and visibility.

Also, while talented evaluators could setup what are now antiquated systems of data collection (on the players), it's now mostly a wide open game. I can go on twitter or instagram and learn more about a recruit's perspective, mentality and some of his behaviors within 30 minutes than I could have collected in 3 months 16 years ago.

The bigtime stuff now, IMO, occurs with being able to differentiate between the hyped up Plan A kids who still have room for growth.

All good points.
one! lol.

desperation stuff.
The problem with plan B and C kids is that, while many, many hit, just as many or more miss these days. Those players flying under the radar are available at a far less ratio than 20 years ago because of the technological infrastructure providing accessibility and visibility.

Also, while talented evaluators could setup what are now antiquated systems of data collection (on the players), it's now mostly a wide open game. I can go on twitter or instagram and learn more about a recruit's perspective, mentality and some of his behaviors within 30 minutes than I could have collected in 3 months 16 years ago.

The bigtime stuff now, IMO, occurs with being able to differentiate between the hyped up Plan A kids who still have room for growth.

Strong points as usual Luisito.
Especially about how much the landscape has changed.
Nonetheless, there is still a need for talent evaluation as you noted in your last sentence.

Look at the NFL, they have it easy in comparison to college coaches.
They get to spend a ton of money on scouts who go over the college talent with
fine tooth comb, they get to test them out on several workouts, including combines and
then they acquire talent via draft instead of having to recruit them.
Yet some franchises seem to always get it right, even if they are not drafting high.

All good points.
one! lol.

desperation stuff.

Strong points as usual Luisito.
Especially about how much the landscape has changed.
Nonetheless, there is still a need for talent evaluation as you noted in your last sentence.

Look at the NFL, they have it easy in comparison to college coaches.
They get to spend a ton of money on scouts who go over the college talent with
fine tooth comb, they get to test them out on several workouts, including combines and
then they acquire talent via draft instead of having to recruit them.
Yet some franchises seem to always get it right, even if they are not drafting high
I'm still amazed at how bad some teams are in talent evaluations compared to other consistent teams. There's usually a common theme: a massive amount of [weak] assumptions. I've sat in front of some scouts and personnel guys, listened to their rationales and wondered what they'd do (as jobs) in the real world if they hadn't grown up in or weren't in the sports bubble. Some of their evaluations are so superficial and full of jargon it seems almost spoofy. You have a massive movement in sports analytics to help support a lot of your "eye" tests. Wish UM would invest a few dollars there, but that's probably too much to ask.

Advertisement
Back