Question for Pete or D$

wacane

Sophomore
Sometime near the end of last season or during the coaching search there was a piece written here. It discussed how the elite kids and high school coaches are not taking Miami seriously as a major player in the recruiting game. Especially here locally. I tried to find the article but couldn't pull it up. It suggested that the new coach would have a big job on his hands to repair that. So it's been a year. How would you grade Richt and staff thus far?

Advertisement
I'll go ahead and field this question for them, but I will expand it to the state of Florida also.

Of the top 30 prospects in the state (247) we have one commit that is rumored to be looking.

They haven't done jack **** yet, and absolutely should not be getting praise in recruiting considering this is the "new coach first year bump" year. Any alleged progress can be considered no more than that, alleged. We don't have STA's best player, we don't have Deerfield Beach best player, we don't have BTW best player, don't have Boyd Anderson best player, lost Columbus and won't get him back, we don't have any of the American Heritage kids. And that is just locally.

It might actually be worse. F.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks a lot like same ****, different staff only we have been better about possibly back up plans. Real progress will be to land a top 10 class year after year and break into the top 5 every so often. Right now it's 15-20 and break in the top 10 occasionally. Anything in the 15-20 range is really just the same thing other coaches have done this decade being objective. I don't see that happening.

Looks a lot like same ****, different staff only we have been better about possibly back up plans. Real progress will be to land a top 10 class year after year and break into the top 5 every so often. Right now it's 15-20 and break in the top 10 occasionally. Anything in the 15-20 range is really just the same thing other coaches have done this decade being objective. I don't see that happening.[/QUOTE

Have we ever consistently fielded top 10 ten classes? Curious to see what our average class rank is the last 15 years. Im more interested in the relationships that appeared to be broken. What have they been doing to repair them?

I'll go ahead and field this question for them, but I will expand it to the state of Florida also.

Of the top 30 prospects in the state (247) we have one commit that is rumored to be looking.

They haven't done jack **** yet, and absolutely should not be getting praise in recruiting considering this is the "new coach first year bump" year. Any alleged progress can be considered no more than that, alleged. We don't have STA's best player, we don't have Deerfield Beach best player, we don't have BTW best player, don't have Boyd Anderson best player, lost Columbus and won't get him back, we don't have any of the American Heritage kids. And that is just locally.

Can't disagree with this. Bottom line results aren't there. We have some good kids committed but not what I should be.

Advertisement
Looks a lot like same ****, different staff only we have been better about possibly back up plans. Real progress will be to land a top 10 class year after year and break into the top 5 every so often. Right now it's 15-20 and break in the top 10 occasionally. Anything in the 15-20 range is really just the same thing other coaches have done this decade being objective. I don't see that happening.

Have we ever consistently fielded top 10 ten classes? Curious to see what our average class rank is the last 15 years. Im more interested in the relationships that appeared to be broken. What have they been doing to repair them?
Per 247, most recent (2016) going backward to 2002:

average = 12.866 repeating of course

Problem is that a lot of kids that were in those recent classes aren't on the team - Grace, AQM, Bruce, Young, Gayot, etc, etc.

When we can consistently land top 15 classes AND keep the kids on the team our play on the field will get to the point where the top kids want to come here again. Our classes are consistently 3rd in the ACC behind Fl St and Clemson.

We lost the fastest player on Columbus, not the best player.

Advertisement

We lost the fastest player on Columbus, not the best player.
All above comments are based on 247 rankings, not my opinion on who has how much dog in him or trench mentality levels.

This staff been s failure so far . Can't recruit and so far not sold on the coaching ability . We would of been better off with Butch Davis and he would hired Randy Shannon d cord .He would of kept Larry. < biggest mistake this staff made from time they arrived . Now they just keep happening . Glad he's having fun he has 4 years or he will be gone too.

Last edited:
I'd argue that those class rankings mentioned above aren't nearly as good as the number actually shows. How many kids in the 2012, 2013, 2014 classes either never made it to UM, transferred, kicked off, etc? If you adjust it for that we'd be looking at classes in the 40s or even 50s. All the other classes of the Golden era were finished off with post signing day specials that are giving us numbers but literally no depth, now we're wishing they'd transfer just to open a scholarship.

Happens everywhere, but I think it was the 2012 or 2013 class that we literally lost everyone but 5 or 6 or maybe 7 guys that finished their career here to the point that they graduated or were drafted.

More of the usual. 100% incorrect. Previously alot of kids especially out of state elite weren't even considering us. That isn't something you'll see huge results for with kids coming in for 17 class (not even 1 full year) it's the 18,19 etc kids that you'll see it in. We are most certainly being considered & looked at by those kids & you see it nation wide with this staff. I just saw an entire team in California throwing up the U & chanting... you have the number 1 corner in the country looking at us from cali in year 1 when the kid admitted he never even spoke to the previous staff. The buzz is definitely building back up & it will only continue to.

Advertisement
My god make it stop

lol not ok with mediocre, Richt had done noting Larry Scott didn't do accept Larry is a better recruiter. Diaz was only Larry staff instead of coach no d he would have more wins .

Larry Scott was taking commits left and right that didn't even belong at Miami and the first thing Richt did was come in and run them off. Wasn't even the dudes job and he knew it and he was still accepting commitments from borderline prospects. That didn't sit right with me.

Richt offered him a chance to stay on staff and he left and ran to Tennessee and just started offering everyone off our entire recruiting board and is obviously the driving force behind offering everyone that Miami offers. The dude wanted to work for Al Golden and now he works for Al Golden jr. Shows the type of coach he really is.

And honestly, Njoku and Herndon are on another level under Hartley now than they were under Scott's coaching.... and we didn't even utilize our TEs the first 6+ games under Richt nearly as much as Coley used to.

Advertisement
My god make it stop

lol not ok with mediocre, Richt had done noting Larry Scott didn't do accept Larry is a better recruiter. Diaz was only Larry staff instead of coach no d he would have more wins .

Larry Scott was taking commits left and right that didn't even belong at Miami and the first thing Richt did was come in and run them off. Wasn't even the dudes job and he knew it and he was still accepting commitments from borderline prospects. That didn't sit right with me.

Richt offered him a chance to stay on staff and he left and ran to Tennessee and just started offering everyone off our entire recruiting board and is obviously the driving force behind offering everyone that Miami offers. The dude wanted to work for Al Golden and now he works for Al Golden jr. Shows the type of coach he really is.

And honestly, Njoku and Herndon are on another level under Hartley now than they were under Scott's coaching.... and we didn't even utilize our TEs the first 6+ games under Richt nearly as much as Coley used to.

Don't agree njoku was better last year . The difference is the d side of the ball this year the o looks worse

This dude walked in here and blew the roof off the joint with facts. Walked in here with his dyck hanging out and dared you sissies to touch it.

My god make it stop

Don't agree njoku was better last year . The difference is the d side of the ball this year the o looks worse

The offense scores more points on average as a whole, more points on average vs teams with a winning record, more points in conference, rushes for more yards and passes for the same amount of yards in comparison to last season.

Njoku has 15 more catches, 200 more yards, and 4 more touchdowns than last year and we didn't really figure out how to use him until the 6th game of the year. You gonna say anything factual or just ***** for the sake of *****ing?

Agree the offense isn't what it was supposed to be but Richt is getting better at utilizing the personnel. Can't always just be an instant fix, he never saw these guys in a real game before. Took adjustments and we're still adjusting.

Last edited:

More of the usual. 100% incorrect. Previously alot of kids especially out of state elite weren't even considering us. That isn't something you'll see huge results for with kids coming in for 17 class (not even 1 full year) it's the 18,19 etc kids that you'll see it in. We are most certainly being considered & looked at by those kids & you see it nation wide with this staff. I just saw an entire team in California throwing up the U & chanting... you have the number 1 corner in the country looking at us from cali in year 1 when the kid admitted he never even spoke to the previous staff. The buzz is definitely building back up & it will only continue to.

Next year is next year, 2019 is 2019. None of what I posted, as it applies to this year is incorrect. More of the usual, no reading comprehension.

Advertisement
Back