Question for Insiders/Close to the Program

Advertisement
Tip Of The Cap GIF by Giphy QA

My favorite GIF, that kid cracks me up

Kids aren’t dumb , they respect guys that know the game and put them in the best situation to succeed. Bigger than that this staff actually goes out of their way to show kids they trust them and try to have good relationships. Nothing builds a players confidence like trust

kevin steele is a what i call a “wikipedia coach.”
there’s not a question about defense you can ask him he couldn’t answer, BUT …. nothing changes for him unless someone does it for him, and the way he relates to people can be somewhat rote and robotic. He and charlie were great recruiters in their day, but tired and lazy now.

guidry is very different. in all areas. and it shows.

likewise nicholson vs charlie strong. charlie was burned out and resented he wasn’t the DC, and given more authority, despite what the titles said. mack was fine, but JT is an upgrade, on all fronts. JT is also zoned in when it comes to recruiting. when he actually learns more than a first year college coach should know? look out.

for the offense? people don’t realize what a bad guy gattis was, and how well he hid it in the interview process. he was never a team player and was happy to undermine the other guys on the staff to cover his own failings. he also made a mistake in trying to pin some of the blame on mirabal for the offensive woes. (talk about not being able to read the room. HUGE mistake with the head man).

beard is not as experienced as say, a hartline or a rob likens, but he’s very good, can teach fundamentals. and his kids will listen to him. he relates to them. plus, he’s hungry to learn and get better and it makes him a “team first” guy.

dawson is so much better at “coaching the coaches” than gattis will ever be. last year, no one EVER popped into gattis’ office just to shoot the sh*t. if you didn’t HAVE to be there you weren’t hanging out with gattis. dawson is like the guy whose house everyone hung out at after school.

when the big guy talks about culture, he’s not just talking about players. big changes from last year, and we’ll see it on the field. (we already have).

Advertisement
there’s not a question about defense you can ask him he couldn’t answer, BUT …. nothing changes for him unless someone does it for him, and the way he relates to people can be somewhat rote and robotic. He and charlie were great recruiters in their day, but tired and lazy now.

likewise nicholson vs charlie strong. charlie was burned out and resented he wasn’t the DC, and given more authority, despite what the titles said. mack was fine, but JT is an upgrade, on all fronts. JT is also zoned in when it comes to recruiting. when he actually learns more than a first year college coach should know? look out.

for the offense? people don’t realize what a bad guy gattis was, and how well he hid it in the interview process. he was never a team player and was happy to undermine the other guys on the staff to cover his own failings. he also made a mistake in trying to pin some of the blame on mirabal for the offensive woes. (talk about not being able to read the room. HUGE mistake with the head man).

beard is not as experienced as say, a hartline or a rob likens, but he’s very good, can teach fundamentals. and his kids will listen to him. he relates to them. plus, he’s hungry to learn and get better and it makes him a “team first” guy.

dawson is so much better at “coaching the coaches” than gattis will ever be. last year, no one EVER popped into gattis’ office just to shoot the sh*t. if you didn’t HAVE to be there you weren’t hanging out with gattis. dawson is like the guy whose house everyone hung out at after school.

when the big guy talks about culture, he’s not just talking about players. big changes from last year, and we’ll see it on the field. (we already have).
The best coaches stay evolving. Watching other programs and coordinators to learn. Right down to HS. Believe it or not HS is normally a step ahead of the college game. My HS was running a true spread in the mid 90’s lol. Which made up for our lack of size and speed. That’s why I fought for the spread back in the early 2000’s when people like @awssi Dooger ( Canesport ) said it was a “ gimmick “ and would fade away. Kinda like hip hop in the 80’s / 90’s lmao.

The best coaches stay evolving. Watching other programs and coordinators to learn. Right down to HS. Believe it or not HS is normally a step ahead of the college game. My HS was running a true spread in the mid 90’s lol. Which made up for our lack of size and speed. That’s why I fought for the spread back in the early 2000’s when people like @awssi Dooger ( Canesport ) said it was a “ gimmick “ and would fade away. Kinda like hip hop in the 80’s / 90’s lmao.
U just reminded me I have to make my long live the spread post I was cooking up in my head in the stadium before the end of the game, sooooooooooo many battles in the lounge/wez days of people being dismissive of spread and wanting fullback in the flats for 4 yard gains football.. that commitment to bro style is definitely something that kept us in purgatory for last 15 year+.. actually makes me mad thinking about it

I would imagine Charlie got us all our freshman linebackers, for that alone he has my respect.. We havent had a group like that in yearsssss, he walked in and help flip the room to legit d1 LBs.

Advertisement
U just reminded me I have to make my long live the spread post I was cooking up in my head in the stadium before the end of the game, sooooooooooo many battles in the lounge/wez days of people being dismissive of spread and wanting fullback in the flats for 4 yard gains football.. that commitment to bro style is definitely something that kept us in purgatory for last 15 year+.. actually makes me mad thinking about it
Yes lol. Same thing on Canesport. If somebody calls it a gimmick they’ve never played in, against or tried to scheme against it. It’s just a passive way of dismissing something you don’t understand where you can stay stuck in what you know or are comfortable with.

Assi Dooger and myself had many the battle. His defense was always “ look at those offenses when they face Sec teams like Bama “. I was like dude the only reasons teams like Oregon are playing in big games is scheme. They’re majority 2-3 stars lol. Then when UF went spread winning titles they moved the goal posts to “ it’s physical football though , just in shotgun “. Well yeah , but you’re still using space and eye manipulation against the D. Just like the pro style there’s different spreads.

My buddy played hockey at UNH back in the day (His little bro played for the Panthers). He said UNH football games were must attend games because the coordinator coached like it was a video game.

Chip Kelly. Gimmick worked. Miami should have gone to this many years ago. You could swing a dead cat by its tail from campus to find kids to play in that offense.

Yep.

Years after I graduated, I was back at Yale visiting for an alumni event, and I went to see Coach Cozza. This was after I had played and worked for him, and he was getting ready to retire. We were in his office, having lunch, and talking about all the time he spent speaking with high school coaches. He said that’s because the best coaching you see isn’t in the NFL or on college, it’s in high school. It’s because they can’t pick their own players (the days before the transfers and school bopping), and have to coach who they have. You talk to HS coaches, you learn a ton.

Yes lol. Same thing on Canesport. If somebody calls it a gimmick they’ve never played in, against or tried to scheme against it. It’s just a passive way of dismissing something you don’t understand where you can stay stuck in what you know or are comfortable with.

Assi Dooger and myself had many the battle. His defense was always “ look at those offenses when they face Sec teams like Bama “. I was like dude the only reasons teams like Oregon are playing in big games is scheme. They’re majority 2-3 stars lol. Then when UF went spread winning titles they moved the goal posts to “ it’s physical football though , just in shotgun “. Well yeah , but you’re still using space and eye manipulation against the D. Just like the pro style there’s different spreads.
That was my exact same argument I would explain, lol. They would be like Oregon has empty trophy case, its like we wouldnt even be talking about Oregon if they lined up in I formation, they atleast made it to the big game and the offense gave them a chance, its cutting edge and we need to get ahead of curve, recruits love it, UO made it with freakin Jeff Maehl as lead WR, you look at their roster and you are like how..

Meanwhile we have a offense like 2013 with Morris, Duke, Gus Edwards, Allen Hurns, Dorsett, Coley, Rashawn Scott, Asante Cleveland, Brandon Linder, Seantrel Henderson, Feliciano, Ereck Flowers having death struggles with entire ACC every week with losses to Duke and VT with a bunch of close wins.. (I dont think people understand how much talent that is for a team)

It really sucked seeing the game evolve right in front of us while we KNEW because we laughed at Nebraska hold on to option too long, we became the same holding onto pro style where you have to be so perfect and make offense hard. With limited practice time it made no sense..

Advertisement

Say dooger’s name again. Maybe CaneDynasty will magically appear?!

Go Canes!

We've all seen our new Cajun coordinators speak, answer questions, and we've been able to look at their coaching history. We all can agree that there has been a turnaround and elevation on both sides of the team. Sometimes SOB's can get production - but it's usually quickly reversed.

Does anyone know just how well liked these guys are by the team members?

I look at how they react together - and there seems from the outside to be genuine connections and respect for each other. I don't see conflicts to speak of - and folks going off on a tangent.

Anyone close to the program that could address that question and enhance what we see from the outside looking in?

I'm really liking what I see.
Dawson and DVD seem good:

Attachments

• IMG_7651.jpeg
    IMG_7651.jpeg
    636.5 KB · Views: 1
Advertisement
Yo he went in his bag for that play call. I was in the stadium and he faked out everyone in my section. Lol. Getting TDs instead of settling for FGs in the Red zone makes all the difference.
He faked me out. When I saw George start what I thought was orbit motion I said to myself" He's not going to get across TVD in time" then when he doubled back I immediately thought it was a give to Chaney up the middle based on formation before the snap then after the snap the play fake to Chaney really faked me out. When he spun around and hit George on the sidelines I knew immediately that he would score. Just a great call!

Guidry was locked the **** in all game. They kept showing him pacing back and forth on the sidelines with that killer eye-of-the-tiger look in his eyes. You could tell he lived for this matchup against Petrino. We’re lucky to have him.
Haha one of the best parts of the fame was when Couch caught that int to seal it there was a very short period the camera showed Guidry and he just let out a giant sigh of relief and took his headset off. You can tell it just means more to these coordinators proving it to themselves and the country vs a guy who is pretty much in retirement mode (Steele was once a great dc don't get me wrong) and a coach who won the broyles when it's very apparent he didn't do **** haha

He faked me out. When I saw George start what I thought was orbit motion I said to myself" He's not going to get across TVD in time" then when he doubled back I immediately thought it was a give to Chaney up the middle based on formation before the snap then after the snap the play fake to Chaney really faked me out. When he spun around and hit George on the sidelines I knew immediately that he would score. Just a great call!
Not to exaggerate but that's maybe the cleanest play call I've seen here in maybe 10 years.

Advertisement
Back