Question for D$ or Brooklyndee or anyone else in the know

Canesbball

Bran
Did we ever entertain the possibility of a grad transfer or JUCO qb since Kaaya's SR year? Richt isn't stupid, he knew we didn't have **** behind Kaaya and I'm kinda of surprised we didn't address it right away.

Shea Patterson didn't light it up and Ole Miss or week 1 at Michigan...but he's infinitely better than Rosier. The Ta'amu kid that replaced him at Ole Miss absolutely lit it up once he went down. He was a JUCO kid.

Were we ever after Eason when he decided to transfer?

I just find it hard to believe that this staff would be comfortable with what we all knew was a mediocre QB room when they got here.

Advertisement
I hear you man but rarely does a QB transfer ever work out. Baker Mayfield stories happen about every 10 years.

Will Grier?

Good point. But Grier was super talented and got himself booted. I was so happy to see him leave Florida cause I knew he would be a player. Most QB's on the market are guys that got passed up on the depth chart and want to see if they can play somewhere else. And more times then not they got passed up simple because they are not good.

It would truly surprise me if they did, in large part due to the fact that they got their self reported "top recruiting target" at QB each year as well as Cade Weldon. While none of them have yet to take a snap yet for the school, or if we are to take CMR at his word have even really pushed to compete for starting reps. In spite of all this we are supposed to be comfortable with the fact that they are so confident with these quarterbacks they will not need to recruit or sign one this cycle.

Advertisement
Eason would have been a really solid pick up. We absolutely should have tried. I thought we did though, I don't recall...

The announcers of the Miami-LSU game gave an analysis of grad transfer QBs since the rule was enacted. Only a small percentage of the 85 QBs were successful. I believe it was 5%. Success was based on starting, playing well, and the team winning. I have no problem bringing in other players but realize the player is transferring for a reason. He was beaten out by a number of other players.

Good, bad, ugly: A history of grad transfer QBs

Advertisement
Bro the transfer or Juco QB doesn't have to be a star we just need someone that can throw a slant correctly. Burrow is better than Rosier. We should have been looking if the young guys weren't ready.

Man at this point any option seems better then Rosier. Not debating that. The coaches must have felt comfortable that someone on the roster would overtake him by this point. I think Perry was that guy but he messed around and got himself suspended. By then I am sure there were no options available to bring in.

The announcers of the Miami-LSU game gave an analysis of grad transfer QBs since the rule was enacted. Only a small percentage of the 85 QBs were successful. I believe it was 5%. Success was based on starting, playing well, and the team winning. I have no problem bringing in other players but realize the player is transferring for a reason. He was beaten out by a number of other players.

If it is truly about "COMPETITION" at every position you bring in another Juco/Transfer a QB and Punter what we saw out of those two areas was unacceptable.

Exactly. In the last 10 years you can name Newton, Baker, Grier and maybe a couple others that have been successful. Remember when FSU got the old ND QB? All hype and he looked like complete trash. It just rarely works out. Guys that transfer just are not good enough to be difference makers.

Exactly. In the last 10 years you can name Newton, Baker, Grier and maybe a couple others that have been successful. Remember when FSU got the old ND QB? All hype and he looked like complete trash. It just rarely works out. Guys that transfer just are not good enough to be difference makers.

We had Jake Heaps who was a 4 star I believe, or at least elite 11 when he transferred here. He couldn't do anything. We are part of that statistic of 95% failure.

Advertisement
If it is truly about "COMPETITION" at every position you bring in another Juco/Transfer a QB and Punter what we saw out of those two areas was unacceptable.

Like I said, I have no issue bringing in grad transfers at any position where the player can fill a need.

Remember the punter Golden brought in from Cincinnati? Great pick up for one season. Vogel was good punter as well. Jake Heap was not exactly a solution at QB. This year's grad transfers at DT and OG are filling depth needs.

Kyler Murray looked good for the Sooners.

You're kidding!!!

What about Jarrett Stidham (Baylor - Aub), Russell Wilson (NCS - Wisc.), Baker Mayfield (Texas Tech - Ok) , Ryan Mallett (Mich. - Ark),
Nick Foles (Mich St. - Az.), Jacoby Brissett (UF - NCS)

Good point. But Grier was super talented and got himself booted. I was so happy to see him leave Florida cause I knew he would be a player. Most QB's on the market are guys that got passed up on the depth chart and want to see if they can play somewhere else. And more times then not they got passed up simple because they are not good.

Advertisement

OK but we don't need a Cam Newton at Miami. Would be nice to have, but we don't need it. We just need someone who is better than Malik Rosier. The bar is pretty ******* low. Just get the ball to the playmakers.

You're kidding!!!

What about Jarrett Stidham (Baylor - Aub), Russell Wilson (NCS - Wisc.), Baker Mayfield (Texas Tech - Ok) , Ryan Mallett (Mich. - Ark),
Nick Foles (Mich St. - Az.), Jacoby Brissett (UF - NCS)

All fine examples, but again, the exception, not the rule and also OP asked about Grad transfers...

Advertisement
Back