Question for D$, Lu, Pete, et al on Offensive Philosophy

ghost2

Retired staff
Premium
Based on what you've seen in practice and heard from various sources... Do we have one?

Not looking for specifics here since I know things are under wraps and all, I've just been desperate for our team to have a quantifiable offensive identity - really since Coker. Curious to hear your thoughts.

Advertisement
I don't want to get into too many details, but look at our personnel. We have a lot of very athletic receivers who can get vertical and run with the ball. We are short on TEs and FBs. All four QBs are athletic.

I expect us to look more like Clemson than 2001 Miami.

Advertisement
I don't want to get into too many details, but look at our personnel. We have a lot of very athletic receivers who can get vertical and run with the ball. We are short on TEs and FBs. All four QBs are athletic.

God bless you sir. This was exactly the answer I was hoping for.

I just don't want to get caught up in the SEC mindset whirlpool Rick kept trying to run like last year.

Most frustrating -

D$, is that intentional though? Richt complained about lacking TEs and an FB in his post scrimmage press interview. Polendy seems to be an attempt to address in 2017, and Jordan in 2018. Not saying we won't mix it up. Just that we aren't going guardrail to guardrail and becoming a Chip Kelly offense this season.

D$, is that intentional though? Richt complained about lacking TEs and an FB in his post scrimmage press interview. Polendy seems to be an attempt to address in 2017, and Jordan in 2018. Not saying we won't mix it up. Just that we aren't going guardrail to guardrail and becoming a Chip Kelly offense this season.

You didn't ask me, but I would say that Richt wants to be more of a power running team than we currently have the personnel for. My hope is that D$ is correct and Richt will go with our strengths until he recruits the guys to run what he wants.

Advertisement

Richt lamented the lack of FBs and TEs in an interview recently. He will figure oht what to do with what we have, hopefully. But that is different from saying tht what we do is his philosophy. If you listen to him talk, his philosophy is probably more plodding that we will see this year.

You didn't ask me, but I would say that Richt wants to be more of a power running team than we currently have the personnel for. My hope is that D$ is correct and Richt will go with our strengths until he recruits the guys to run what he wants.

He wants UM to be Georgia. Dammit.

what is your confidence level, based on what you've seen, on the secondary?

[MENTION=12910]Brooklyndee[/MENTION] you too?

Advertisement
I have to believe it's intentional at least in part, based if nothing else on Richt's QB recruiting since he's been here. It's been quoted many times that Richt wants a guy who can move - not necessarily a "running qb", but somebody who can extend plays with his feet. Heck, if you believe Jack Allison's dad it's the reason his son isn't on the team anymore.

I think the whole "lacking TEs and FBs" quote is being severely overblown.

Secondary will be fine long as we stay healthy. This offense will be alot of dink & dunk. Until there outta confidence in our qb play that's to be expected.

He wants UM to be Georgia. Dammit.

He doesn't confide in me, but that wouldn't be surprising. I agree with people who think that the recruits we have the most access to lend themselves to spreading things out, but all I care about is results.

Advertisement

Secondary will be fine long as we stay healthy. This offense will be alot of dink & dunk. Until there outta confidence in our qb play that's to be expected.

Dink and dunk is fine if the ball is the hands of someone who runs unber 4.8 and can move. Last year year kaaya couldn't release early, and he ran slow as ****. This year make reads, get rid of it, gain 5. Better than getting sacked or not knowing where to move and overthrow your receiver.

Advertisement
Back