Question for all the FOOTBALL COACHES

ageezy

Cane til I Die
In regards to the OC's in particular, little league highschool and in between . . . when designing plays, do you also design the blocking scheme, or do you get with the o-line coach to come up with the blocking scheme?

also is there a specific blocking scheme for each play, or is there a general blocking scheme for running plays and a general scheme for passing plays?

Advertisement
Typically either exclusively zone blocking or man you don't really use a different scheme for different packages. Maybe 90% of one and 10% of the other. Or a zone blocking team may have a package here and there that will be man.

Typically either exclusively zone blocking or man you don't really use a different scheme for different packages. Maybe 90% of one and 10% of the other. Or a zone blocking team may have a package here and there that will be man.

so 90% of your playbook is based on one blocking scheme? doesn't that make you predictable?
also, wouldn't the blocking scheme change based on the front?

Advertisement

so 90% of your playbook is based on one blocking scheme? doesn't that make you predictable?
also, wouldn't the blocking scheme change based on the front?

How much time do you think there is to teach a bunch of kids, who can barely pay attention, two different blocking schemes? lol

You definitely want to coach or work with a coach who knows both schemes so you can adjust to the different size and talent you will get from season to season.

Most teams like to create an "identity "with their blocking schemes and try to mold or recruit the lineman to their liking.

It can make you predictable to a certain extent but good coaching can mask predictability.

Throw in one wrinkle on a team that thinks they know all of the cues and you can hit a big play!

The scheme doesn't have to change because of a defensive front.... For example, in zone blocking...essentially your blocking a zone or whoever occupies said zone. If the play is a zone stretch to the left then your block and zone step will be left... with different variations on the back side of the play depending on the playbook.You are essentially blocking whoever crosses your zone.

Man blocking- that usually involves much more pulling lineman, if you change the formation, all it changes is what your blocking assignment is.

Some coaches do change the scheme or at least tweak it depending on what techniques the Dlineman uses.... are the in a 3-4/ with the DE in a 5tech or a 4?

IT just depends on the staff... You usually don't have the time or resources to go so far in depth when youre in little league so you try to make it as simple as possible and use other wrinkles to throw off the defense.

I have at least 15-20 different blocking schemes in our game plans. I want my kids to know exactly what position they need to be in order to make plays. If I see anyone freelancing, they sit on the bench, even if they pancake a guy and it results in a big gain. When I'm building my team, I want guys that are students of the game and are 100% disciplined. I'll take an undersized, overmatched kid who fully understands the schemes than some man-child giant who might be an elite athlete but doesn't want to get with the program.

Advertisement
I have at least 15-20 different blocking schemes in our game plans. I want my kids to know exactly what position they need to be in order to make plays. If I see anyone freelancing, they sit on the bench, even if they pancake a guy and it results in a big gain. When I'm building my team, I want guys that are students of the game and are 100% disciplined. I'll take an undersized, overmatched kid who fully understands the schemes than some man-child giant who might be an elite athlete but doesn't want to get with the program.

That's the Gorlden method.

Whoopingcane...the realest of the real

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

[MENTION=4629]ageezy[/MENTION]...
when designing plays, do you also design the blocking scheme, or do you get with the o-line coach to come up with the blocking scheme?

This question has a lot of variables.

Do you know your offense in & out?

If it's your blocking scheme, do you trust the OL coach to implement it?

If it's the OL coach's blocking scheme, does it accomodate the offense that you want to run?

And unless you're just teaching straight up Man Blocking, yes, most to all of your plays will have different blocking schemes. Which is why -depending on the age group you're coaching- you don't want to install too much. Better to kick *** with 3 or 4 blocking schemes, than to get your *** kicked by running a bazillion blocking schemes.

Point blank, every offensive coach needs to be on the same page...beginning with you.

My OL coach has a has five or six laminated sheets on a ring for reference when he's calling out the blocking scheme. We run about 60-70 offensive plays per game and each matches up with one of the 15-20 blocking schemes. Then, we have 3-4 audibles per offensive play that usually changes the blocking scheme. It equates to about 4,200 permutations. Opposing staffs simply can't keep up, unless we shoot ourselves in the foot trying to execute and get procedure calls and waste time outs. But, the boys just need to execute.

They say the average 12 year old can memorize up to 5,000 different things. We are only asking for 4,200.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back