Question about the administration

Back when we were winning titles in the mid 80’s, early 90’s, we went through 2 coaches. Jimmy Johnson and Dennis Erickson. My question is did the administration care more about winning football games back then than they do now? Or did we just get lucky when they hired those two since they won us 3 titles? It just blows my mind the decisions the administration has made in the last 4 hires with Coker, Shannon, Golden, and Richt. I don’t see how you go from being on top of the world to not giving a **** about not caring about winning games. Thoughts?

Advertisement
1. College football has changed. We were on top of the world because we had more access in South a Florida than anybody. The internet has made the gap very small.
2. Our admin has made bad choices but neither of those hires were well received at the time. Howard and Richt have been the only well known hires. If Jimmy was a bust then the U would have never been more than a flash in the pan.

School prez got death threats for hiring Erickson. He was considered an overrated coach from Washington State who ran a gimmick offense that would never work at Miami. Remind you of anyone?

Fortunately the school admin had both balls and the foresight to take a chance and the result was two more national titles.

Advertisement
1. College football has changed. We were on top of the world because we had more access in South a Florida than anybody. The internet has made the gap very small.
2. Our admin has made bad choices but neither of those hires were well received at the time. Howard and Richt have been the only well known hires. If Jimmy was a bust then the U would have never been more than a flash in the pan.
This right here

Will add the joining ofnthe ACC gave us guaranteed money

the school cares more now than they did then. the issue is the game has changed and the school didnt change with the times. add in the fact that there are no more diamonds in the rough that go unnoticed anymore for the most part due to recruiting coverage. every school is in your back yard and they know about the same recruits that you do even if theyre a flight away

It's not about recruiting being harder. We had better talent than at least 4 out of the 5 teams we lost to this season (maybe 5 out of 5). We have had terrible coaches for 17 years in a row. That's the problem.

Very true. But at the same time for 4/5 of our championships our talent was so great it overcame almost every game that the coaching was bad.

We had rosters that makes these Bama teams look average

Advertisement
This.

Sam Jankovich was the last athletics-oriented

He was the visionary that hired Johnson and then Erickson to keep us on top. In 7 years he oversaw 3 NC football, 1 NC baseball, NCs in men's/women's tennis and golf. He also brought basketball back to Miami.

For all of this he is a AD GOD

Last edited by a moderator:
Advertisement
All that was before the Shapiro and the pell grant stuff and Miami was also still building the outlaw image then too. So the admin prolly wasn’t as image conscious.

Also, I believe the university started really focusing on academics after the football heyday, so everything was done thru that prism.

He was the visionary that hired Johnson and then Erickson to keep us on top. In 7 years he oversaw 3 NC football, 1 NC baseball, NCs in men's/women's tennis and golf. He also brought basketball back to Miami.

For all of this he is a AD GOD

Everyone should read the bold font above regarding Sam Jankovich.

Disturbing how little our own fans know about our history.

I guess that's why you see so many asinine posts, day in and day out.

As someone already astutely pointed out: Blake James is NOT Sam Jankovich. And back then, the university did NOT place the importance on academics that it now does. Tad Foote attempted but failed. His vision is now a reality, however. We can thank Donna Shalala for that, who damaged the program to a degree that we may never recover from.

Advertisement
The problem with the admin is they think UM is this Ivy league level school. The elites from the school that are not ‘Miami’ guys care more about the perception of the school than winning.

These fools forget football put UM on the map.

These fools don’t understand that UM is behind academically (based on many different ranking groups) in many categories to public schools in Florida let alone the elite colleges.

We don’t excel anywhere right now
Admin needs to wake up.

All that was before the Shapiro and the pell grant stuff and Miami was also still building the outlaw image then too. So the admin prolly wasn’t as image conscious.

Also, I believe the university started really focusing on academics after the football heyday, so everything was done thru that prism.

This. Contrast Tad Foote/Sam Jankovich with Donna Shalala/Blake James, and you have your answer. Not picking political sides, but the "tone at the top" matters, and the tone since the turn of the century has not been win at all costs like it is at Bama and a few others.

Sure, other schools discovered S Fl talent, but we let a lot of them get away because of our changed priorities. It happens. The best we can hope for in the modern system is to contend once or twice a decade.

This. Contrast Tad Foote/Sam Jankovich with Donna Shalala/Blake James, and you have your answer. Not picking political sides, but the "tone at the top" matters, and the tone since the turn of the century has not been win at all costs like it is at Bama and a few others.

Sure, other schools discovered S Fl talent, but we let a lot of them get away because of our changed priorities. It happens. The best we can hope for in the modern system is to contend once or twice a decade.
I think we can do better than that, contend once a decade I mean. with competent coaching, especially in the coastal

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back