Question about retaining coaches

P-Tizzle

All ACC
Premium
When a new HC is hired by a university, what is his thought process about retaining coaches from the previous regime? I see some posts about retaining DVD, Cooney, T-Rob, and Fields. As a HC, what do you consider? Scheme? Personality? Recruiting acumen? The assistant coaches ability to develop players? Or does the new HC simply disregard all that and bring in his own guys?

Advertisement
When a new HC is hired by a university, what is his thought process about retaining coaches from the previous regime? I see some posts about retaining DVD, Cooney, T-Rob, and Fields. As a HC, what do you consider? Scheme? Personality? Recruiting acumen? The assistant coaches ability to develop players? Or does the new HC simply disregard all that and bring in his own guys?
Should be 100% up to the new HC

All of the above lol

When cancer is present you don't cut out just a portion, you ensure it's all gone. Get rid of everyone and start over.

Advertisement
Should anybody on staff be retained?

I remember 2014-15, when a lot of people wanted to fire Golden, but keep a whole lot of his staff. I found that to be pretty annoying.

Should anybody on staff be retained?

I remember 2014-15, when a lot of people wanted to fire Golden, but keep a whole lot of his staff. I found that to be pretty annoying.
Yeah it’s kind of an interesting take

Golden coming from outside the “culture” wanted to make sure he kept some people around that could help make the transition easier

A seasoned coach probably won’t care as much other than 1 or 2 people

But if we go the Golden-esque route again I could see it happening similarly. Guys like TRob/DVD/Rumph would probably get a better shake, or guys like Field

Hard to tell at this point really

Advertisement
I think the best thing that can happen is Manny get's fired after Saturday, and gives the remaining coaches an opportunity to show their worth. Ultimately I think T-Rob is retained. He's not really part of "culture" problem since this is his first year. I think his recruiting chops alone gets him a seat at the table. DVD and Aristide I can also see being retained, potentially in off the field roles. Everyone else is hard to predict, would love to see how the team performs without the tension of having a lame-duck coach.

I can see DVD, Fields, and Cooney being retained if Mario is the guy. DVD was only on his first year and the UM ties with Mario, you got the connection of Fields in Oregon with him too. Cooney has the recruiting connection and isn't a position coach, so I don't see why not. T-Rob is the guy I really hope and pray for we keep.

Recruiting acumen.
Hire capable coordinator for the X and O's.
You need position coaches that can win recruiting battles and bring in more talent.

Advertisement
I feel like a potential new HC would do a little due diligence on the current staff, and would identify any guys he might consider retaining, and then interview them. But he’s under no obligation to keep them

Hate keeping to many people from a failed staff, but I’d hope we would keep Trob & DVD.

DB recruiting was cooking, if we had other pieces in place to succeed as a team in season, it could have gotten pretty serious at DB on our team real quick with those dudes handling the DB room.

I’d want to see what the DBs played like under those guys for a year or two under a new staff before I made any rash decisions.

Advertisement
I can see DVD, Fields, and Cooney being retained if Mario is the guy. DVD was only on his first year and the UM ties with Mario, you got the connection of Fields in Oregon with him too. Cooney has the recruiting connection and isn't a position coach, so I don't see why not. T-Rob is the guy I really hope and pray for we keep.
Yeah, I think it was the conspiracy theorist, Alex Jones, that said something possibly like Fields in the Cooney role, DVD in non field role & TRob at DB coach as a possibility but my memory could be failing me

Hate keeping to many people from a failed staff, but I’d hope we would keep Trob & DVD.

DB recruiting was cooking, if we had other pieces in place to succeed as a team in season, it could have gotten pretty serious at DB on our team real quick with those dudes handling the DB room.

I’d want to see what the DBs played like under those guys for a year or two under a new staff before I made any rash decisions.
Wasn’t this years DB class considered to be the best in terms of ranking/grades ever at Miami? I remember all of the booty Gifs, that’s for sure.

Yeah, I think it was the conspiracy theorist, Alex Jones, that said something possibly like Fields in the Cooney role, DVD in non field role & TRob at DB coach as a possibility but my memory could be failing me
I could see Field staying in a similar role to what he had at Oregon.

As Urban Meyer once said you interview everyone. Cutting out the cancer may not be some of the assistant coaches. You could be losing out on a potentially great assistant or more by forcing yourself to a mentality for the sake or mentality (cancer cutting).

If players can transform under a new culture, then why can’t assistants as well? Particularly ones that have shown promise or productivity before?

I would argue the real cancers have been our AD and head coach. Fix that and go from there.

Advertisement
Back