Question about recruiting

Notsince1985

Retired staff
Premium
When Morris had it rolling in the 90s and early 2000s, was the roster always so South Florida heavy? I know South Florida has very good high school baseball, and I know we've always had players and good players on the team from South Florida, but I just checked the roster, and unless I counted wrong, 23 of the 32 players listed are from South Florida and 28 or 29 are from Florida. I might be remembering wrong, but it didn't seem like that 20 years ago. Maybe it was just that a lot of our best players on those teams were from out of state, like Pat Burrell, Aubrey Huff, Bobby Hill, Russ Jacobson. Even Jason Michaels was from Tampa.

Did Morris change his recruiting? Am I off base here?

Advertisement
I cant say much about too far back, but for several years now we've had great "ins" and pipelines to a couple of the top travel teams in the state (Elite Squad being our #1 source for talent). When you can pull from there easily there's not a reason to leave the state unless its for specific needs.

Really all of Miami, FSU, and UF have extremely Florida-heavy rosters

South Florida (and FL in general) may be more bountiful in baseball talent than football talent, and that’s saying something.

You’d win the World Series if every team consisted of athletes from its city and you chose Miami.

South Florida (and FL in general) may be more bountiful in baseball talent than football talent, and that’s saying something.

You’d win the World Series if every team consisted of athletes from its city and you chose Miami.

This is so overblown.

On the rosters of the top 10 RPI teams, which consists of approximately 300 players, here is the list of kids from Dade/ Broward/ Palm Beach:

Chase Costello, a freshman at LSU who has an 8.38 ERA over 9.2 innings
Isaiah Thomas, a freshman at Vanderbilt who has batted six times
Julian Infante, a senior at Vanderbilt who is batting .203

That's it. That's the south Florida contribution to the best teams in baseball. Three players, none of which is having any impact. And only one of those is from Dade. Those teams have no need for south Florida players, and they are better than us.

The original poster is exactly right. The best teams find players from anywhere. Vanderbilt has more players from the great baseball state of Illinois than they do from south Florida.

Advertisement
....for several years now we've had great "ins" and pipelines to a couple of the top travel teams in the state (Elite Squad being our #1 source for talent). When you can pull from there easily there's not a reason to leave the state unless its for specific needs.

Really all of Miami, FSU, and UF have extremely Florida-heavy rosters

And that's the problem. We rely on Perfect Game to do our recruiting for us, and we love signing the south Florida showboat player.

This is so overblown.

On the rosters of the top 10 RPI teams, which consists of approximately 300 players, here is the list of kids from Dade/ Broward/ Palm Beach:

Chase Costello, a freshman at LSU who has an 8.38 ERA over 9.2 innings
Isaiah Thomas, a freshman at Vanderbilt who has batted six times
Julian Infante, a senior at Vanderbilt who is batting .203

That's it. That's the south Florida contribution to the best teams in baseball. Three players, none of which is having any impact. And only one of those is from Dade. Those teams have no need for south Florida players, and they are better than us.

The original poster is exactly right. The best teams find players from anywhere. Vanderbilt has more players from the great baseball state of Illinois than they do from south Florida.
I’m not on this board a lot but I know you’re a fake fan/troll so I’ll keep this short. It’s not just about talent obviously. Coaching and development matters and if you watch this Miami team it’s easy to see how important that is.

But if you think a region that’s given baseball A-Rod, Manny Machado, Eric Hosmer, Andre Dawson, Rafael Palmeiro, JD Martinez, Trea Turner, and Anthony Rizzo, not to mention SO many others, is not a hotspot for baseball, you’re even dumber than every poster here says you are.

I’m not on this board a lot but I know you’re a fake fan/troll so I’ll keep this short. It’s not just about talent obviously. Coaching and development matters and if you watch this Miami team it’s easy to see how important that is.

But if you think a region that’s given baseball A-Rod, Manny Machado, Eric Hosmer, Andre Dawson, Rafael Palmeiro, JD Martinez, Trea Turner, and Anthony Rizzo, not to mention SO many others, is not a hotspot for baseball, you’re even dumber than every poster here says you are.
Say that again. So many more...can't make a list without Lefty and Hialeah's own, Bucky.

Edit: Jay and "el huevo's" son are the epitome of SoFla ballplayers as well

Last edited:

Thank you for the 1990's history lesson, but we're talking about today's players.

As usual, I know I've won when I present rock solid data, and the response is "UR DUMB".

Advertisement
Thank you for the 1990's history lesson, but we're talking about today's players.

As usual, I know I've won when I present rock solid data, and the response is "UR DUMB".
You’re an amazing troll I will give you that. Your data didn’t pertain to the argument, what you said about mine was innacurate, yet you somehow think you “won.” Remarkable😂.

South Florida is the best high school area for baseball in the country per capita. The coaches of UCLA, Pepperdine and USC say this repeatedly at local events. Southern California is second best area for baseball players but you have Stanford, Marymount, Pepperdine, UCLA, USC, Fullerton, Dirt Bags and Irvine are all competing for those players.

UM's tuition is 5x more than a public school. That is the main impediment to recruiting. Vanderbilt and Rice award near universal merit, diversity and/or scholarships. UM needs to raise the requisite funds to ameliorate this disparity, but baseball is not a focus for the Board of the Trustees. The NCAA cannot prevent a university from awarding a merit, diversity or academic scholarship unless it benefits male sports over female ones.

South Florida is the best high school area for baseball in the country per capita. The coaches of UCLA, Pepperdine and USC say this repeatedly at local events. Southern California is second best area for baseball players but you have Stanford, Marymount, Pepperdine, UCLA, USC, Fullerton, Dirt Bags and Irvine are all competing for those players.

UM's tuition is 5x more than a public school. That is the main impediment to recruiting. Vanderbilt and Rice award near universal merit, diversity and/or scholarships. UM needs to raise the requisite funds to ameliorate this disparity, but baseball is not a focus for the Board of the Trustees. The NCAA cannot prevent a university from awarding a merit, diversity or academic scholarship unless it benefits male sports over female ones.
Agreed. Title IX plays a huge part in our baseball team’s lack of funding.

You’re an amazing troll I will give you that. Your data didn’t pertain to the argument, what you said about mine was innacurate, yet you somehow think you “won.” Remarkable😂.

Again, you refuse to address what I wrote because it destroys your point that south Florida is the be all-end all of high school baseball. South Florida is churning out Atlantic Sun stars and mid-tier ACC and SEC players. If the players were so good, LSU and Vandy would be down here scooping them up. But they're happy letting those kids play at Miami.

Advertisement
Agreed. Title IX plays a huge part in our baseball team’s lack of funding.

We do not have a lack of funding in baseball. We give the maximum number of baseball scholarships allowed. Title IX has nothing to do with Morris' lack of vision in upgrading the facilities.

Ryan Braun-Cali
Pat Burrell-Cali
Aubrey Huff-TX.
Ceasar Carillo-IL.
Just to name a few.

Miami as a university is not as wealthy as elite schools like Rice, Vandy, and Stanford. Saying it's because the BOT doesnt care about baseball is just wrong. Miami couldnt operate if they made it free to attend for everyone with a family income of under $150k like Vandy does. Raise the endowment by a few billion, and then maybe they could do that.

What Miami does do is give out a lot of merit aid. This plays a huge part in our recruiting. We look for guys who are talented and great students.

Cecconi is the perfect example. He had a 1450 SAT. As a result, he's here on the equivalent of a full scholarship, and most of that is merit aid. McMahon is similar.

We do a pretty good job of stretching the 11.7 with academic scholarships, but obviously we're still at a disadvantage compared to wealthy, elite private schools and public schools.

We've been killing it in recruiting the past couple years, and our future classes are stacked though. So I'm not sure how anyone could complain about recruiting. If DiMare does one thing well its recruit

Advertisement
Miami as a university is not as wealthy as elite schools like Rice, Vandy, and Stanford. Saying it's because the BOT doesnt care about baseball is just wrong. Miami couldnt operate if they made it free to attend for everyone with a family income of under $150k like Vandy does. Raise the endowment by a few billion, and then maybe they could do that.

What Miami does do is give out a lot of merit aid. This plays a huge part in our recruiting. We look for guys who are talented and great students.

Cecconi is the perfect example. He had a 1450 SAT. As a result, he's here on the equivalent of a full scholarship, and most of that is merit aid. McMahon is similar.

We do a pretty good job of stretching the 11.7 with academic scholarships, but obviously we're still at a disadvantage compared to wealthy, elite private schools and public schools.

We've been killing it in recruiting the past couple years, and our future classes are stacked though. So I'm not sure how anyone could complain about recruiting. If DiMare does one thing well its recruit

You are correct, except for one thing. UM raised $4B in its last two campaigns. They are a wealthy school.

You are correct, except for one thing. UM raised $4B in its last two campaigns. They are a wealthy school.

The money they raise in those campaigns is for specific purposes. The reality is they cant just use that $ to cover tution costs across the board.

It's about endowment, that's how Vandy, Rice, and Stanford perpetually have enough money where they can write off tuition for most students.

Stanford has an endowment of $26.4 billion. Rice is $6.2 billion. Vandy is $4.6 billion.

Miami's endowment is only $1 billion. Compared to the elite schools who are able to blanket waive tution, we're pretty poor. I just dont see Miami being able to do what those 3 schools do

The funds raised in the last two campaigns you referred to went mostly to the medical school. I’m not sure of the approximate distribution, but athletics got very little, from my understanding.

The funds raised in the last two campaigns you referred to went mostly to the medical school. I’m not sure of the approximate distribution, but athletics got very little, from my understanding.

Athletics received nothing. That is my point. Donors care about UM's biotech center, Law School, Med School, Engineering. Baseball is last on the list.

The elite tradition of the team keeps the scholarships alive. We need one of us to generate $1B

Advertisement
Back