Question about being a fan?

Advertisement
Advertisement
Firstly let me start by saying I love most of you crazy ********, and for me, our diverse, aggressive, wild fan Base is sort of what made me fall in love with this program.

With that out of the way, let the negging begin.

What happened to us and how can this change?

Rule number 1 of being a fan is we don't cheer for losses under any circumstances, something many of us have been guilty of.

Rule number 2 should be we support our players and we celebrate wins.

I know a lot of us got jaded, and watching our administration do NOTHING about it certainly contributed to our cynicism.

I don't know how, but I want to see some change in our program. We don't have people showing up to games, we just don't and it's a bad look for us, especially considering the caliber of players we want to see coming through our program again. I'm just 1 guy here, so my power is limited. I try to make 1 game from Idaho per season when I can, that's all the balling I can do on my budget.

What would really help me sleep at night, is knowing that we have an actual plan in place to fix this other than "if we win they will come." Wheres the reach out to the masses from the Athletic Department? Where's the initiative? Look at a guy like Jon Spoelstra and his fan base building initiatives, can that be replicated in some way in an area with 6 million people?

Neg away my neggahs. 🤣

PS: booty gif for those that read the whole thing.

View attachment 268611
You only get a thumbs up for the booty gif - I didn't read what you wrote, but good work

They don't just live here though, it's a full on retirement. Come up to the mountain valleys, buy a $450k house, or if your really well off a $700k cabin with a view and still have money to snowmobile in the winter, ride horses or dirt bikes, get fresh air, ski, etc. It's extremely beautiful here. Extremely beautiful. I'd tell you a couple places to Google but I don't want to give any Californians ideas.

I believe it.

My wife went to school out there - Nampa, Idaho

Moved from Harlem to Nampa for a short stint in HS.

Just seems outrageous to me. Absolutely nuts tbh. That’s a lot of bread.

Advertisement
So you are, or at least gender identify, as a woman then.
im-a-man-mike-gundy.gif

Firstly let me start by saying I love most of you crazy ********, and for me, our diverse, aggressive, wild fan Base is sort of what made me fall in love with this program.

With that out of the way, let the negging begin.

What happened to us and how can this change?

Rule number 1 of being a fan is we don't cheer for losses under any circumstances, something many of us have been guilty of.

Rule number 2 should be we support our players and we celebrate wins.

I know a lot of us got jaded, and watching our administration do NOTHING about it certainly contributed to our cynicism.

I don't know how, but I want to see some change in our program. We don't have people showing up to games, we just don't and it's a bad look for us, especially considering the caliber of players we want to see coming through our program again. I'm just 1 guy here, so my power is limited. I try to make 1 game from Idaho per season when I can, that's all the balling I can do on my budget.

What would really help me sleep at night, is knowing that we have an actual plan in place to fix this other than "if we win they will come." Wheres the reach out to the masses from the Athletic Department? Where's the initiative? Look at a guy like Jon Spoelstra and his fan base building initiatives, can that be replicated in some way in an area with 6 million people?

Neg away my neggahs. 🤣

PS: booty gif for those that read the whole thing.

View attachment 268611
100 fr for the gif.....

Advertisement
I went to nearly every game in the OB between 1990 and 2007. There's this mythology about the place being packed but that was only for the biggest games, usually in years we were legitimately competing for the NC. And even in those years plenty of games with weak crowds. In 2000 we played BC Thanksgiving weekend and drew maybe 40k tops. And we thought we were headed for the championship game at that point. Even in 2001, against Syracuse, top 20 team, we drew maybe 50k. (as a reminder the OB held about 80). Against the Temples and Rutgers you'd be lucky to have 30 in the stands. Great tickets available from the guy next to the shish kabob cart for $5 each. Same price as the kabob. The attendance has always sucked. It's always been a front running crowd. It may be a bit worse at Hard Rock but not by a ton.

Advertisement
I went to nearly every game in the OB between 1990 and 2007. There's this mythology about the place being packed but that was only for the biggest games, usually in years we were legitimately competing for the NC. And even in those years plenty of games with weak crowds. In 2000 we played BC Thanksgiving weekend and drew maybe 40k tops. And we thought we were headed for the championship game at that point. Even in 2001, against Syracuse, top 20 team, we drew maybe 50k. (as a reminder the OB held about 80). Against the Temples and Rutgers you'd be lucky to have 30 in the stands. Great tickets available from the guy next to the shish kabob cart for $5 each. Same price as the kabob. The attendance has always sucked. It's always been a front running crowd. It may be a bit worse at Hard Rock but not by a ton.
Can anything be done about this is the question? Are we doing anything about this? What role does the fan play in fixing this?

Can anything be done about this is the question? Are we doing anything about this? What role does the fan play in fixing this?
No. We're a small private school with a tiny alumni base (comparatively) and a lot of alumni don't stick around in South FL anyway. Unlike the Dolphins, who have a generational fan base, we only got on the map in the 80s. Had we stayed dominant through the 2000s and 2010s it might have been a different story, but 20 years of irrelevance will put a damper on things. We'll never be like Nebraska or TAMU or Tennessee where they'll pack the house to watch them hang 60 on St Mary's Girls School for the Blind, even in a down year. If we start winning big, they'll come, but never in the ways that these schools do where football is life and the team is the pride of the city. It just won't ever happen. Now there are things the school could do to help a little, but you can't fix a small, fickle fan base. It is what it is.

Advertisement
Back