Question #4 Post 98. I give you the Miami box score and you tell me the player/game.

DOH!!!!!!!! Didn't even realize that link took you there, LOL. Tomorrow will be tougher and I will not leave links. And here I was giving him credit for a stellar memory.
Yeah, make it a bit tougher. But I bet you can cut and paste and Google search a stat line along with "Miami" and can come up with it too!

Advertisement
Yeah, make it a bit tougher. But I bet you can cut and paste and Google search a stat line along with "Miami" and can come up with it too!
Yeah, maybe, but I'm thinking it may be tougher if I do some individual defensive stats or RB/WR. Passes the time either way.

Nearly every great team stumbles during the season. Let's look only at recent history. Clemson losing to a sorry *** Pitt team, only to win the NC that year. Bama last year holding on against a .500 Ole Miss team they should have beaten by 40. Miami isn't the only great team to have this happen.

1000000%. Jimmy Johnson said a variation of this probably a billion times: You simply cannot get your team "up" more than a few times a year.

No matter who you are. He was speaking about himself, but it goes for every team pretty much ever. At some point, you're not going to play your best. I have no way to quantify it...how it happens, why it happens, when it'll happen, etc. But it does. Always. So, as a coach, you do what you can to get your A+ game out of your team, but you have to understand you're only getting that every so often. You have to find a way to win with your B game or your C+ game. That's what great teams do. And it’s why I find it so comical when fans cry that their favorite team doesn’t blow out everyone they play. Very, very, very few teams do.

1000000%. Jimmy Johnson said a variation of this probably a billion times: You simply cannot get your team "up" more than a few times a year.

No matter who you are. He was speaking about himself, but it goes for every team pretty much ever. At some point, you're not going to play your best. I have no way to quantify it...how it happens, why it happens, when it'll happen, etc. But it does. Always. So, as a coach, you do what you can to get your A+ game out of your team, but you have to understand you're only getting that every so often. You have to find a way to win with your B game or your C+ game. That's what great teams do. And it’s why I find it so comical when fans cry that their favorite team doesn’t blow out everyone they play. Very, very, very few teams do.
That was one of the most impressive things about 2019 LSU, sure they played some "close" games but those were vs Top 10 teams. They never seemed to have the "letup" game.

But to your point these are teenagers playing, the are hormonal and just wild cards. I can see why it happens tbh.

Advertisement
That was one of the most impressive things about 2019 LSU, sure they played some "close" games but those were vs Top 10 teams. They never seemed to have the "letup" game.

But to your point these are teenagers playing, the are hormonal and just wild cards. I can see why it happens tbh.

Well, they won by 7 at UT, and yeah Texas was Top 10 at the time but they finished 8-5.

And they only beat Auburn by 3, at home, and Auburn lost 3 other games.

They beat Bama by 5, but that's Bama.

They were incredibly impressive, though. For sure, you're right. But they have been talked about a lot since they won in that "best team ever" conversation. Whether you think they deserve it or not, a lot of people are making arguments for it. And "the best team ever" won 3 different games by less than a score. A play here or there, and those games could have gone the other way. Just shows you how **** hard it is to go undefeated. And why so very few teams do it. Letdowns are just a way of life in this game.

Well, they won by 7 at UT, and yeah Texas was Top 10 at the time but they finished 8-5.

And they only beat Auburn by 3, at home, and Auburn lost 3 other games.

They beat Bama by 5, but that's Bama.

They were incredibly impressive, though. For sure, you're right. But they have been talked about a lot since they won in that "best team ever" conversation. Whether you think they deserve it or not, a lot of people are making arguments for it. And "the best team ever" won 3 different games by less than a score. A play here or there, and those games could have gone the other way. Just shows you how **** hard it is to go undefeated. And why so very few teams do it. Letdowns are just a way of life in this game.
I don't think "best team ever" is a lock, but I can't really argue "best offensive team" ever. They played a KILLER schedule and they named their # most days. That's the beauty of CFB though IMO. Kids will be kids.

Advertisement
I have loved box scores ever since I was a kid. I used to go straight to the box scores and analyze teams that way just for fun. I helps that I also have a photographic memory. Give us another one. I love these.
Tomorrow will be a new one, and it will be tougher. I'm a box score guy myself. I hear you.

Season 3 Nbc GIF by The Office
😂😂😂😂😂

Advertisement
Nearly every great team stumbles during the season. Let's look only at recent history. Clemson losing to a sorry *** Pitt team, only to win the NC that year. Bama last year holding on against a .500 Ole Miss team they should have beaten by 40. Miami isn't the only great team to have this happen.
It happens all the time. It’s incredibly rare, even for the absolute best teams to just dominate everyone for an entire season. There were a few games during the early 2000’s where they were clearly sleepwalking and the games ended up being closer than most would expect. The BC game obviously but they also edged out a very average Virginia Tech team in Blacksburg to end the season. On paper that game should have been a blowout. In 2002, they had a one point win against a 5 loss FSU team. And a seven point win against Pitt. Fans got ****ed when we only beat Pitt by 12 in 2020 and the talent levels aren’t even close to 2002’s team. Even wins against garbage teams Temple (44-21) and Rutgers (42-17) to weren't flawless exhibitions.

It's why I laugh when fans today expect blowouts against every ACC team not named Clemson. If the 2001-2002 teams occasionally struggled putting away mediocre teams what makes people think today’s teams should be able to do it so easily? Even on the most stacked team in history, you still had to bring your A game to get wins against decent teams.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back