Quarterback Offer Breakdown: Michael Johnson Jr.

View as article

Roman Marciante

Sophomore
Premium
Michael Johnson Jr. is a 6'3" 190 Dual Threat sensation out of Sheldon High School in Eugene, Oregon. Johnson Jr. is a hybrid between a rocket and a cheetah and shows some uncanny improvisation skill on film. To date in his varsity career, he has amassed 5565 passing yards accompanied by 69 passing touchdowns. Johnson Jr. also has ran for 1878 yards and occupied pay dirt with his feet 28 times. This Miami target is clearly in the sights of quarterback coach Jon Richt who has racked up his frequent flyer mileage visiting the young man. CanesinSight will take a further look at Johnson JR on this edition's breakdown.

Footwork/Rhythm: One area where improvement is needed is in the terms of footwork. Correctable aspects are some additional hitch steps on drops and not always aligning steps two and three in the direction of his target. In a coach Mark Richt passing system timing and repeat-ability in footwork is EVERYTHING. Front stride distance is also variant and needs to be addressed. I have full confidence all things footwork are within the capability of Richt and company's ability to reign in. Rhythm: Shows some good ball out on time rhythm capability on shorter passing concepts. (In particular quick seems and screens) Would be effective in a quick passing system. Needs to mirror that ability on down the field concepts. Needs to continue and identify the pre-snap read and focus on the final step ball out concept. Some balls considered late in relation to the read. Once again very correctable within the framework of the Miami system.

Accuracy/Arm Strength/Mechanics: Nice accuracy and ball placement. Do not see many receivers short changed on completions and Johnson JR allows his receivers run after the catch ability. Some tight window completions noted on film. Deep ball has nice trajectory and outside shoulder placement when feet are set. Arm Strength is good. Would not classify Johnson Jr as a power thrower and you do not see tons of deep outs/comebacks in premise being called by the OC. Deepest ball on various film reviews noted in the 55 yard range with the capability to extend. Arm Mechanics: Some variable arm slotting unabated to pressure noted. Would classify the release medial with no exceptional long hitch idiosyncrasies. Noted some downfield three quarter releases on throws. Will drop ball and eyes early on some passing concepts in an effort to run. (often times for good reason) Overall good fundamentals passing the football with the ability to improve on fundamental repeat-abilities.

Mobility: Exceptional improvisation skill set. Johnson Jr is a zone read home run threat. A prospect who early on in his career ran a 4.6 at a camp shows game changing ability with his legs. Multiple long touchdowns on the ground game over and over again. Johnson Jr shows the ability to run various styles of QB runs and is comfortable running inside. This is a type prospect a defense MUST account for at all times in regards to his running ability. Shows the ability to throw effectively outside the pocket on roll outs and has multiple designed passing concepts to accentuate his skill set from the OC. Ultimately feel Johnson's skill set would be unique on Miami's roster and ultimately unparalleled in this area of mobility and running threat.

Roman Rank: Johnson Jr is a prospect very worthy of the praise and attention he has received from the Miami coaching staff. Even when I see him potentially "looking to run" maybe a little earlier than I would like, you have to be a simpleton to argue the intent. Yes. The flat was open but who should argue when the 50 yard plus touchdown he just reeled off changes the complexion of the game? Richt loves "in rhythm quarterbacks." You get to that third step in a three step drop that ball better be coming out. Yes. That concerns me because I see more improvisation than rhythm at times from Johnson Jr's game. But I think Richt is more than capable of tailor making an offense to accentuate Johnson Jr's game changing ability while molding him to learn the rhythm of his offense. Johnson Jr is the definition of a dual threat. He doesn't dabble loosely in the definition. He is the definition. Roman Rank 4 star

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
More than a few of the recruiting journalist think we have a "real chance" here.

John Richt is putting in work on this kid - appears to be his primary target for 2019 and the feeling must be mutual for us to be putting in this amount of time, resources and money on one kid.

@Roman Marciante how would you compare him to our other QB recruits coming in (under Richt) Perry and Williams?

Great Question. All fall into the Dual Threat scope (All though Williams was reclassified as a pro style by some sites) But from a real simple comparison to high school film I would rank them this way.

Arm Talent- Perry. He showed nice vertical line zip and his long range I had him charted as a plus 60 kid. Even teammates now at the U have corroborated that he has the best arm on the team.

Footwork- Williams. He shows very repeatable mechanics. He doesn't over stride. He has good front foot speed and no reocurring hitch idiosyncrasies that I notice in either arm mechanics or footwork.

Mobility - Johnson Jr. Think he is the bigger home run threat with his feet vs the other two. He clocks in with a faster 40 time and literally you can't walk away from his film without noting how effective and dynamic a runner he is.
(For reference)
Perry 28 game varsity starter 494 yards rushing
Johnson Jr 31 game varsity starter 1878 yards rushing

Given the chance I would go into my laboratory and combine these attributes to create mad science success. Ultimately though this is very clear that the recruitment at the position is on a clear uptick. I felt the year that Perry and Weldon came in that was the best tandem recruitment since Marve And Harris. If MJJ comes in this would be an insane three year haul.

Advertisement
Great Question. All fall into the Dual Threat scope (All though Williams was reclassified as a pro style by some sites) But from a real simple comparison to high school film I would rank them this way.

Arm Talent- Perry. He showed nice vertical line zip and his long range I had him charted as a plus 60 kid. Even teammates now at the U have corroborated that he has the best arm on the team.

Footwork- Williams. He shows very repeatable mechanics. He doesn't over stride. He has good front foot speed and no reocurring hitch idiosyncrasies that I notice in either arm mechanics or footwork.

Mobility - Johnson Jr. Think he is the bigger home run threat with his feet vs the other two. He clocks in with a faster 40 time and literally you can't walk away from his film without noting how effective and dynamic a runner he is.
(For reference)
Perry 28 game varsity starter 494 yards rushing
Johnson Jr 31 game varsity starter 1878 yards rushing

Given the chance I would go into my laboratory and combine these attributes to create mad science success. Ultimately though this is very clear that the recruitment at the position is on a clear uptick. I felt the year that Perry and Weldon came in that was the best tandem recruitment since Marve And Harris. If MJJ comes in this would be an insane three year haul.

Thanks for your elaborate response!! Highly appreciated.

Want to take a guess on who will start here (one day)? Also glad you mentioned Weldon. Kind of the forgotten man

Thanks for your elaborate response!! Highly appreciated.

Want to take a guess on who will start here (one day)? Also glad you mentioned Weldon. Kind of the forgotten man

My heart says Perry has all the talent to play the role of usurper.
My head says Rosier has to improve his accuracy to keep the job.
My instinct says Williams is going to have some struggles adjusting to a Diaz aggressive defense in practice (Just like Perry did initially, and Rosier)
My intrigue says Weldon has been getting recent praise from teammates.

Throw my heart, my head, my instinct and my intrigue in a blender and ultimately press puree. I think when bullets fly this spring and into fall camp I will have a much clearer picture. But I also think subconsciously I gave you an order of what I think.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Watched some of his clips from his sophomore year and came back impressed. Kid is a big weapon running and his throwing mechanics looked very good for a young qb.

Advertisement
Appreciate these pieces, but they are painful to read. I’m not just talking about you Roman, the spring RB preview was the same thing. This type of writing is why I eventually left SOTU and came here for real info. If I just wanted to read a massive word count of meaningless bull****, I’d pick up a NY Times or New Yorker magazine. This isn’t the great American novel here, there’s no need for so much dainty prose. Say what you want to say and get rid of all the extra bull**** words. Please.

I can’t find the great information you’re trying to share in between all the pretty flowers and lacy doilies.

Keep at it, and thanks for the info.

Good analysis. My only criticism would be that this is a very technical breakdown off of highlight clips which can be a biased sample. I think your mileage would go a lot farther analyzing footwork and accuracy off of full-game tape.

It wasn't easy but I found 1 with my sleuthing skills:

If he commits I'll breakdown this game otherwise I leave it up to you.

Good analysis. My only criticism would be that this is a very technical breakdown off of highlight clips which can be a biased sample. I think your mileage would go a lot farther analyzing footwork and accuracy off of full-game tape.

It wasn't easy but I found 1 with my sleuthing skills:

If he commits I'll breakdown this game otherwise I leave it up to you.

I find as much film as possible. I only uploaded sophmore film because the jr film is somehow locked. (I watch Camps, game film etc too)Also after the breakdown his father sent me some more film to look at it.

But thank you for this clip. I really appreciate it.

Appreciate these pieces, but they are painful to read. I’m not just talking about you Roman, the spring RB preview was the same thing. This type of writing is why I eventually left SOTU and came here for real info. If I just wanted to read a massive word count of meaningless bull****, I’d pick up a NY Times or New Yorker magazine. This isn’t the great American novel here, there’s no need for so much dainty prose. Say what you want to say and get rid of all the extra bull**** words. Please.

I can’t find the great information you’re trying to share in between all the pretty flowers and lacy doilies.

Keep at it, and thanks for the info.

Fair enough. I tend to be a word warrior at times and I fully admit that. These breakdowns Will at times be extended because of the nature of it. I love to break down qbs and I'm hitting everything I can to paint the picture. Sometimes those pictures get rather detailed.

Ultimately I can promise you the nature of the piece will dictate a lot of my typed response but ill try to be short and concise in the forums.

Ultimately if you reach out to me for a more abridged version on the forum after the piece... I got no problem doing that. And is actually not a bad idea. Thanks for the feedback.

Advertisement
Back