QBS in the Portal as of 11/28

I dont understand how Bama could have a lack of NIL. For decades they have been paying extensively for recruits, be it cash, cars, or "jobs" for family members. Now suddenly those boosters cant have their companies do the same above board?
Bama has been paying for recruits for a while now. Only difference is Pre NIL, only a select few schools could get away with it so the amounts they were spending were likely not as high. Now with legal NIL, all the old schools who were eating in recruiting Pre NIL are having to combat the schools with money who weren't allowed in that club and are willing to possibly overpay a little for recruits. The Bama's, UGA's and OSU's of the world aren't going to be willing to spend the way a Texas, A&M, Miami, and USC are willing to spend due to them being able to point to success and development over time. The lure of "playing for Saban" doesn't hold the same weight when the NIL offered is off by 500K+ for a lot of kids who've never seen that kind of money in their lives.

Advertisement
Could be smoke and mirrors but I was told today that Lanning views Oregon as the better job in the current landscape. Doesn't even want to interview. Knight's backing in NIL is far superior to what Alabama has going on. The belief is Saban combated the lack of NIL because he was Saban. The next coach won't have that luxury or pull in recruiting.

Part of me still thinks it was BS and he'd take the job in a heartbeat but there might be some truth in that. Georgia is the same way.. without Smart... they're not pulling in recruiting. Name and coaching/development is pulling it's weight.

Leaves Alabama with only 1 choice… go get themselves a top recruiter with Alabama history!

Bama has been paying for recruits for a while now. Only difference is Pre NIL, only a select few schools could get away with it so the amounts they were spending were likely not as high. Now with legal NIL, all the old schools who were eating in recruiting Pre NIL are having to combat the schools with money who weren't allowed in that club and are willing to possibly overpay a little for recruits. The Bama's, UGA's and OSU's of the world aren't going to be willing to spend the way a Texas, A&M, Miami, and USC are willing to spend due to them being able to point to success and development over time. The lure of "playing for Saban" doesn't hold the same weight when the NIL offered is off by 500K+ for a lot of kids who've never seen that kind of money in their lives.
I get that they will have to step up and pay more now that they don't get the Saban discount for recruits. But Bama's support system and booster network accounts for most of the Alabama-based businesses in the state, so the money is there.

I dont understand how Bama could have a lack of NIL. For decades they have been paying extensively for recruits, be it cash, cars, or "jobs" for family members. Now suddenly those boosters cant have their companies do the same above board?
Big difference in offering a few players here and there $100-200k under the table to sign or a $40k Dodge Charger and $5k per month to a family member for a "job" that they don't actually have to work.... compared to now having to pay $100k per year to 2nd and 3rd string freshman.

They might have had boosters spending combined $1M a year in the bag days... Now it costs $5M to field a .500 caliber roster and $10M+ annually to field a team that is competitive in the SEC. Not to mention.. back in those days guys didn't leave. You saw your $100k guy all the way through school. Nowadays, you pay a kid $100k to sign and be there for a year and then they dip out and go play for your biggest rival. Bama boosters can't accept that.

I remember thinking it was insane when I found out Ohio State paid Torrance Gibson $150k and Binjimen Victor $100k to sign and thought it was even more insane that Alabama offered Reuben Foster $100k to sign, a Hellcat, and got one of his parents a 6 figure job. That's pocket change for NIL of someone that caliber today.

That's why they have to bribe kids to school by getting their parents out of prison these days.

Last edited:
Big difference in offering a few players here and there $100-200k under the table to sign or a $40k Dodge Charger and $5k per month to a family member for a "job" that they don't actually have to work.... compared to now having to pay $100k per year to 2nd and 3rd string freshman.

They might have had boosters spending combined $1M a year in the bag days... Now it costs $5M to field a .500 caliber roster and $10M+ annually to field a team that is competitive in the SEC. Not to mention.. back in those days guys didn't leave. You saw your $100k guy all the way through school. Nowadays, you pay a kid $100k to sign and be there for a year and then they dip out and go play for your biggest rival. Bama boosters can't accept that.

I remember thinking it was insane when I found out Ohio State paid Torrance Gibson $150k and Binjimen Victor $100k to sign and thought it was even more insane that Alabama offered Reuben Foster $100k to sign, a Hellcat, and got one of his parents a 6 figure job. That's pocket change for NIL of someone that caliber today.

That's why they have to bribe kids to school by getting their parents out of prison these days.
This. I remember hearing stories that 5* kids were getting one time payments of 75k-150k depending on the position and that was it. Maybe some other incentives as well but nothing like the deals that are coming out with NIL today.

Advertisement
How did teams get in that club? Being from South Carolina and knowing a couple players I know Clemson funneled money through a church(NewSpring), but why did they look the other way for a college like Clemson?

How did teams get in that club? Being from South Carolina and knowing a couple players I know Clemson funneled money through a church(NewSpring), but why did they look the other way for a college like Clemson?
I mean the NCAA had their eyes closed to all the powers in the SEC for as long back as I can remember. Outside of the SEC, money talks and especially in the areas where football is a religion they found ways of staying out of the NCAA's gaze. Some schools just were better at it than others. Then you have us, our bagmen are the ones who out us and our own local media can't even keep player visits quiet lol.

Advertisement
Sure.

You know who his father is, right?
****, didn’t stop him from going to UT first lol

Either way, can we please get a ******* QB soon. Tualia, Ward, Arch… someone. Gonna look like 2005 all over again, great team with **** QB play that holds us back.

****, didn’t stop him from going to UT first lol

Either way, can we please get a ******* QB soon. Tualia, Ward, Arch… someone. Gonna look like 2005 all over again, great team with **** QB play that holds us back.

True, true. Even Miami has had a number of legacies who land elsewhere.

I was just pointing out why he might be going back to Oklahoma even WITHOUT a "starter guarantee".

Leaves Alabama with only 1 choice… go get themselves a top recruiter with Alabama history!

Just stop yourself for a minute.

Who in God's name do you think Miami could get as a replacement if we run off (fanbase) or scare off (coach's decision) one of our most famous alums?

And before you say "La...", I'm going to repeat, for the millionth time, that Lane Kiffin will never be hired at Miami.

True, true. Even Miami has had a number of legacies who land elsewhere.

I was just pointing out why he might be going back to Oklahoma even WITHOUT a "starter guarantee".
100% if you’re gonna go anywhere to be a backup might as well be the school your family loves. At this point his nfl chances look slim, go get that degree with OU logo on it like pops.

Advertisement

Who in God's name do you think Miami could get as a replacement if we run off (fanbase) or scare off (coach's decision) one of our most famous alums?

And before you say "La...", I'm going to repeat, for the millionth time, that Lane Kiffin will never be hired at Miami.
Lane ain’t ****. Smoke and mirrors, dude is a joke. There’s a reason his name wasn’t in that top 5 when original Saban replacement dropped. Mario’s ceiling is 5X higher.

Edit: 5X was an exaggeration, but Lane never winning a natty

Last edited:
Lane ain’t ****. Smoke and mirrors, dude is a joke. There’s a reason his name wasn’t in that top 5 when original Saban replacement dropped. Mario’s ceiling is 5X higher.
**** of a long con, maudes we got a record breaking troll on the line here

**** of a long con, maudes we got a record breaking troll on the line here
Ay man, facts are facts. Lane can’t croot, HS coaches hate him. There’s at least 5-10 schools in both Mississippi & FL that he’s not welcomed at. South Florida recruiting would eat him alive.

Advertisement
Caleb Williams tells the Bears no thank you. Trade me or I'm not declaring.
They hold firm.
Riley says thanks for your service, but we want to move on too.
Caleb in the Portal.

(won't happen, but man that would be crazy).

A competent coaching search…if Lane is barred from being hired, then I don’t trust a competent coaching search will ever take place…

Knowing that, I would accept @Memnon creates a list, blindly throws a dart at that list and makes a hire…

It would be the most insightful, unbiased, competent coaching search we could ask for from such a prestigious University such as ours.

A competent coaching search…if Lane is barred from being hired, then I don’t trust a competent coaching search will ever take place…

Knowing that, I would accept @Memnon creates a list, blindly throws a dart at that list and makes a hire…

It would be the most insightful, unbiased, competent coaching search we could ask for from such a prestigious University such as ours.
FWIW, Lane *****ed out Jimmy Sexton over the Bama job lol saying he doesn't wanna leave Oxford. His family is happy in Oxford. Etc etc.

FWIW, Lane *****ed out Jimmy Sexton over the Bama job lol saying he doesn't wanna leave Oxford. His family is happy in Oxford. Etc etc.

Thanks. Jimmy is legendary. Contrary to popular belief, I’m not tied to Lane, I’m anti-losing, anti-bad hiring and anti-being ultra biased toward or against a coach

Lane is a good coach. He grew and adapted. Need our HC to do the same, or leave him on the runway in Gainesville if he loses that game.

Advertisement
Back