QBS in the Portal as of 11/28

Guys scoring well on this list: Jaylen Raynor, Jayden Maiava, Seth Henigan, Jordan McCloud, Michael Pratt, along with most of top QBs like Penix, Daniel’s etc

Guys who are awful in this metric: Dante Moore, KJ Jefferson, Will Howard, DJ Uigalelei

Mertz is a dink and dunk Machine looking at this chart. Going to need to stop playing our corners off the ball and press when we play them or theyll just rutgers us but with passing.

Advertisement
TVD's 'catchable balls' obviously included defensive backs.
The problem was TVD had like 4 terrible plays per game over like 3 games - almost all of which were bad decisions (except for the game he was clearly still very hurt and had zero velocity on his throws). Ultimately that's a small percentage over the season, but with massive negative consequences.

Advertisement
The problem was TVD had like 4 terrible plays per game over like 3 games - almost all of which were bad decisions (except for the game he was clearly still very hurt and had zero velocity on his throws). Ultimately that's a small percentage over the season, but with massive negative consequences.
Indeed my comment was in jest. TVDs short game was lethal - especially when he was in the zone. TBO that graph doesn't speak to much IMO.

Indeed my comment was in jest. TVDs short game was lethal - especially when he was in the zone. TBO that graph doesn't speak to much IMO.
I mean yeah you don't wanna look too into it, but ultimately almost all the top Qbs were above that line - most of them by a good margin. So maybe being a good margin above that line doesn't indicate you're a great QB, but pretty much all great qbs this season were... Definitely a distinction there. And also the same is true if you just look at who is really bad in this metric. Is any top Qb really going to be a good margin below that line? Heavily doubt it. Now a guy like Moore has ability, and maybe he can significantly improve, but this graph illustrates just how unaccurate he was. It's not like he was tasked with incredibly difficult passes, on average he was middle of the pack, but he was bottom 5 in FBS in catchable pass %. And if you look at the company he was in - Iowas and Nebraskas QB - it kinda checks out. But not all Bad Qbs are going to be significantly low on this graph either.

So You look at this graphic, you look at the per pass stats, and then you look at actual talent/ability... and you see similar names popping out that we could try to get.

Last edited:
Great point. Reliance on average/mean metrics can mislead in situations where rare errors can have catastrophic consequences.

Advertisement

Guys scoring well on this list: Jaylen Raynor, Jayden Maiava, Seth Henigan, Jordan McCloud, Michael Pratt, along with most of top QBs like Penix, Daniel’s etc

Guys who are awful in this metric: Dante Moore, KJ Jefferson, Will Howard, DJ Uigalelei

TVD scored well on this ….

TVD can throw the ball well...
I know I meant it more it’s not black and white. TVD had plenty of ups and downs. More ups than downs specifically. But doesn’t paint a full picture. Remove TVD from ever being at Miami and if he is in the portal looking at that might change some perspective.

I know I meant it more it’s not black and white. TVD had plenty of ups and downs. More ups than downs specifically. But doesn’t paint a full picture. Remove TVD from ever being at Miami and if he is in the portal looking at that might change some perspective.
I mean yeah you don't wanna look too into it, but ultimately almost all the top Qbs were above that line - most of them by a good margin. So maybe being a good margin above that line doesn't indicate you're a great QB, but pretty much all great qbs this season were... Definitely a distinction there. And also the same is true if you just look at who is really bad in this metric. Is any top Qb really going to be a good margin below that line? Heavily doubt it. Now a guy like Moore has ability, and maybe he can significantly improve, but this graph illustrates just how unaccurate he was. It's not like he was tasked with incredibly difficult passes, on average he was middle of the pack, but he was bottom 5 in FBS in catchable pass %. And if you look at the company he was in - Iowas and Nebraskas QB - it kinda checks out. But not all Bad Qbs are going to be significantly low on this graph either.

So You look at this graphic, you look at the per pass stats, and then you look at actual talent/ability... and you see similar names popping out that we could try to get.

Advertisement
TVD can throw the ball well...
Just can't read zone defense. He really could have been elite if he dedicated himself smh.

Cool to see tho that DJ is a worse Jalen Milroe without his escapability and quickness.

Howard grades better than Riley Leonard, KJ Jefferson and Will Rogers but still a bit below the mean for CFB.

Mccord, Mccloud, Finn, Milton and Garrett Scharder and Maivai grade really well which is interesting to see as I wouldnt consider any of them great/elite perhaps maybe Mccord.

Great find tho on the graph

Advertisement
Just can't read zone defense. He really could have been elite if he dedicated himself smh.

Cool to see tho that DJ is a worse Jalen Milroe without his escapability and quickness.

Howard grades better than Riley Leonard, KJ Jefferson and Will Rogers but still a bit below the mean for CFB.

Mccord, Mccloud, Finn, Milton and Garrett Scharder and Maivai grade really well which is interesting to see as I wouldnt consider any of them great/elite perhaps maybe Mccord.

Great find tho on the graph

We should have take McCord with along with a younger QB.

This graph just reaffirms my liking for Will Howard..

"**** it. We ball"

Advertisement
Back