QB to run the spread

Cane4L

Senior
Premium
I’ve been thinking about this ever since the Duke game. Let’s just say after the bowl game we decide to “part ways” with Enos, which quarterback currently on the roster along with Van Dyke would you prefer to run the spread? This might be an un popular opinion but I would go with Kosi. I think he would really be suited to run it because it plays to his strengths more than any other QB. He’s elusive, has a very strong arm and plus he would be able to make quick reads. Also, this could change if we bring in a grad transfer QB but it’s a interesting thought nonetheless. Thoughts?

Advertisement
Martell is the best QB to run the spread. You need to be a very quick thinker and be able to read and react. Nkosi would be second but only due to quick release. Spread is usually up tempo so it will kill us when we go 3 and out in 50 seconds. Nkosi is very inconsistent and has a ton of passes hit the ground.You need a high football IQ to run the spread. You also need high IQ WRs who will know what routes need to be run based off the coverage. Honestly we would need to take a grad transfer like King.

Martell is the best QB to run the spread. You need to be a very quick thinker and be able to read and react. Nkosi would be second but only due to quick release. Spread is usually up tempo so it will kill us when we go 3 and out in 50 seconds. Nkosi is very inconsistent and has a ton of passes hit the ground.You need a high football IQ to run the spread. You also need high IQ WRs who will know what routes need to be run based off the coverage. Honestly we would need to take a grad transfer like King.
No doubt, but you also need to be able to spray the ball around the field. I’ve seen Martell throw live and I was really disappointed. Not saying he can’t improve but that’s just what I saw. We could also use him in certain packages in by the goal line and short yardage plays.

No doubt, but you also need to be able to spray the ball around the field. I’ve seen Martell throw live and I was really disappointed. Not saying he can’t improve but that’s just what I saw. We could also use him in certain packages in by the goal line and short yardage plays.
I've seen him run the spread at Ohio State and he made several big throws. Spread concepts usually dink and dunk your way down field so his arm shouldn't be that big of an issue. The offense we run now you have to make a lot of NFL throws which is why he never played. He didn't have the arm strength and velocity to get the ball in tight windows. The spread usually has a much wider window to get the ball in and he can use his mobility to by time

Advertisement
Any QB can run the Spread, that's why it's such an effective offense, it doesn't require a specific skillset in order to be productive in it.

Look how many QB's were great in college but were absolute sh*t in the pro's, it's not because they forgot how to play once they made it to the league, it's because a lot of QB's in college play in systems that can mask their deficiencies & maximize their strengths just well enough & long enough for them to help their team win, then once they're in the league & required to do a lot more they can no longer hide their weaknesses in their game that they were able to get away with in college.

All 3 of the QB's would look much better in a Spread Offense than they do in Enox's garbage.

Any QB can run the Spread, that's why it's such an effective offense, it doesn't require a specific skillset in order to be productive in it.

Look how many QB's were great in college but were absolute sh*t in the pro's, it's not because they forgot how to play once they made it to the league, it's because a lot of QB's in college play in systems that can mask their deficiencies & maximize their strengths just well enough & long enough for them to help their team win, then once they're in the league & required to do a lot more they can no longer hide their weaknesses in their game that they were able to get away with in college.

All 3 of the QB's would look much better in a Spread Offense than they do in Enox's garbage.
I absolutely agree but I would say I personally think Kosi would pose the biggest threat running the spread. He has an absolute cannon of an arm and he can extend plays and throw on the run pretty good. That’s who I would personally go for. How bout you LCE?

I absolutely agree but I would say I personally think Kosi would pose the biggest threat running the spread. He has an absolute cannon of an arm and he can extend plays and throw on the run pretty good. That’s who I would personally go for. How bout you LCE?
Well it depends on which specific OC we had, because there's different variations of Spread offenses & each OC runs it differently according to their personnel.

If we were running a SMU style Offense, I'd probably go with Kosi.

If we were running a UCF/Oklahoma Air Raid/Spread I might go with Tate.

If we're running a more RPO heavy Spread I'd go with Jarren or TVD.

But in all honesty I would probably go get a Grad Transfer QB out the Portal rather than go another season with any of these QB's.

What makes you think martel is a quick thinker?

Advertisement
To be honest right now I don't care who runs the offense in any scheme.for once just get it done quit acting like a bunch preepies running a Chinese fire 🔥drill.

Advertisement
The one thing we know for sure is JW doesn’t process stuff quickly. Kosi and Tate (?) better for spread but you never know. Maybe JW looks like he is mentally slow cause he grew up playing spread and just not used to enos’ system.

Advertisement
The one thing we know for sure is JW doesn’t process stuff quickly. Kosi and Tate (?) better for spread but you never know. Maybe JW looks like he is mentally slow cause he grew up playing spread and just not used to enos’ system.

Richt’s and Enos’ systems are more old school and complex.

They both tried to make young QBs think too much.

Add that with the poor o line and slow developing routes, they got paralyzed in thought and had to watch the rush.

Look at the difference between Tate’s reps at OSU and the reps he got here.

The quarterbacks are not the problem. It’s the mess of an organization we run.

Richt’s and Enos’ systems are more old school and complex.

They both tried to make young QBs think too much.

Add that with the poor o line and slow developing routes, they got paralyzed in thought and had to watch the rush.

Look at the difference between Tate’s reps at OSU and the reps he got here.

The quarterbacks are not the problem. It’s the mess of an organization we run.

yeah, that’s the sad part. these kids really haven’t been put in the best situation. There is nothing worse than wasted talent.

We need depth, recruiting and and good coaching.

At this point, the only thing we can control is coaching.

We had a chance to get Evan Neal out of Okeechobee, whos starting right now as a true freshman. Richt screwed that one up royally.

Our dline was underperforming until Coach Kool showed up; then they played significantly better. Wasn't a great recruiter, but was a great technique coach.

Thats how you fix the oline; no matter what offense you have.

Advertisement
Back