QB Observations - Spring Game

View as article

Roman Marciante

Sophomore
Premium
Hey guys I know some of you have already weighed in on the subject but I figured I would chime in.

Got there early with the intent to watch the QB position. In line drills it was Malik 1 Perry 2 and Williams 3.
Charting their catch and release times with a stop watch I noted that on similar throws both Perry and Williams consistently had the ball out quicker on similar concepts. (Miami typically will have the same routes consecutively rotating the QB's and WR's around the drill) Rosier was essentially a little more lax in his drops and his ball out time was being bested simply because he takes a little bit longer to deliver.

The rest of the line drills were Above Average, some balls hit the turf vs air.

Rosier: Is what he is. I didn't see any relative improvement from a mechanical standpoint in his game. Rosier ran with the ones and I think it was pretty clear that the offensive line had some struggles. But when he had time, I still have some issues with his accuracy. In the stat sheet he was essentially at one point 2/2. The problem is he was late delivering a ball to Harley on a dig (immediately enveloped by defenders) and he had a drag where his receiver had to dive and catch the ball. Rosier needs to stop limiting run after the catch potential. It is a hidden aspect that really stalls this offense.

If I had to identify a cause of his accuracy concerns, as the play develops his base becomes more inconsistent. Simple formula here, the longer the play goes the more inaccurate Rosier becomes. He just isn't a flawless reset and gather QB. Nice when it's a bubble or slant on a one catch and throw, but when it isn't there he struggles maintaining good balance or throwing from different platforms. For a fifth year senior, he isn't head and shoulders above the following.

Perry: Really wanted to put to bed who had the best arm on the team and I still think it's him. Just the straight line angle on his balls is better. Don't see balls dipping or tapering off. And the deep ball to Hightower was not the first read. That proves he can wait in the pocket and still essentially have the arm to get the ball way down field if he needs to. Perry is not the guy who is going to underthrow Jeff Thomas. Ok that's the arm. His feet? I think he is the most dynamic runner on the team.

Some might say he is looking a little bit too much to run. But ultimately even in that "tag and your down" QB scenario, Perry showed the ability that when he ran, he was effective in doing so. Perry has this seeming rhythmic pentameter to his game. If he "feels it" and if he is operating in a bit more "up-tempo" mode, he seems to do much better. (Think fast break in offense vs half court sets) Some issues I have with Perry, like Rosier, some inaccuracy. Perry has a lot of moving parts. He generates a ton of spin on the ball but I see this "load up" phenomenon when he tries to thread the needle, he becomes more erratic.

This is a power pitcher that needs to learn to play within himself and just trust it IMO. Led a touchdown drive and threw a nice fade to Hightower. But then on his interception it was simply a rookie mistake. Jeff Thomas can "peek your interest" on that 9 route, but that safety was hashed over top and I think film will show you Langham was 1v1 back side and the right read. That was just Perry predetermined to hit Jeff and not reading the coverage right. Take what they give you young man. Your defense knows who Jeff Thomas is. ACC defenders will too.

Jarren Williams: Impressed. Most repeatable and consistent deliverer of the football. Nice Base. Nice compact stroke. Ultimately for me he had the "quarterbacking play of the day" when his first read was covered, he worked back into the pocket, found pocket freedom naturally, kept his eyes down field and then delivered a strike to extend the play. He did not drop the ball and look to run (which he can) and he didn't create the sense that he couldn't reset and gather. (He did just fine) Was it the wow play Perry was able to make? No. But it showed command beyond his years.

Plenty of arm. No issues there. Perry takes the edge but it isn't by much IMO. Jarren actually doesn't need all the moving parts like Perry to create torque. Williams really commands his base better than anyone. His front stride is compact. He had a vertical where he led the receiver inside. Sure it was a bad ball and that needs to be thrown away from the safety but he wasn't over striding or gearing up to make the throw. 50 yard throw, no huge gather, just threw it.

Jarren has the potential to be the most accurate quarterback of all three. I am 100% convinced of this. Even in warm ups I just watched someone able to replicate and hit spot after spot. My biggest compliment to Jarren is that he did not seem remotely like a freshman out there. And as a reminder tying into the quarterback offer series, Jarren showed the biggest improvement from his JR year to SR year that I have charted yet. He seems to really want to get better and improve. At one point on the field he clapped his hands in discuss at himself because he didn't hit something right. Can't say that about others.

In time as Jarren has more knowledge of the playbook, I think you'll see a really precise entity out there. Ultimately wrapping up the QB side of things, If all 3 were freshman, there is no way on God's green earth that Malik would be the starter over those two. He just needs to thank the lucky stars he has game experience and Jarren is a true freshman. Either way, if Rosier repeats a Pitt performance at some point (I think he will) I think by then one of those 2 will take his job.

Real quick stop on X/o because I don't want to be long. Richt was vanilla. But ultimately I think this offense needs to really think of ways to operate when the run game isn't there. Spring game or not, it is well documented in all of Richt's losses at Miami, they are one dimensional entities when the L's come. I have some concerns even now with the type of receiver talent that we have, no one ever seems to be operating with any kind of space. Credit the defense if you will, but when you got NFL open widows and not an NFL caliber qb pulling the trigger, Good luck and God speed.

Hope everyone had a good time at the game. Look Forward to checking back in to see what you guys have to say.

Advertisement
Great write up! I am not as well versed in the technicalities of the QB job as you are but I have to think that IF Jarren Williams works into the QB2 or even QB1 job this fall, Richt will be able to expand his playbook by virtue of the abilities Williams brings to the table. He is limited in what he can do with Malik, we all agree on that. Jarren seems to be more capable of executing some other things offensively - even in the small sample we have seen. Would you agree? Any thoughts?

I agree about Jarren and his performance last night. Definitely did not look like someone who's still supposed to be in HS. Natural passer. Looks like a grown *** man. Seemed way more comfortable than Kosi in pocket. Wouldn't be surprised if he surpassed Kosi in depth chart tbh

Advertisement
Great write up! I am not as well versed in the technicalities of the QB job as you are but I have to think that IF Jarren Williams works into the QB2 or even QB1 job this fall, Richt will be able to expand his playbook by virtue of the abilities Williams brings to the table. He is limited in what he can do with Malik, we all agree on that. Jarren seems to be more capable of executing some other things offensively - even in the small sample we have seen. Would you agree? Any thoughts?
The playbook will most certainly look different when you have a QB that can do it all.

Jarren is the best repeatable and effortless thrower on the field yesterday. I don't think that is up for debate. Ultimately he will be the guy that can consistently hit that "NFL window" throw. This is not a shinny new toy phenomenon, it just goes to show you how much work Williams has put in from a mechanical standpoint.

As far as the playbook, There isn't something that Rosier can do that Jarren cannot. Jarren however already knows escape routes within the pocket and how to look for multiple reads and its his first live fire scrimmage. I will touch on some X/O things soon. But Ultimately I think this is a big "show me" year for Mark Richt as OC.

Great info, Roman. Thanks.

With regard to your comment referencing "If Rosier has another Pitt game performance..." Im of the opinion that Rosier should and likely will be the starting QB for the LSU game. After that, it wouldn't surprise me if one or both of the other two kids start to get some in-game playing time.

Advertisement
There have been so many talented freshman QB's starting for other teams and since Williams is so talented...why the reluctance to make him the number one? Perhaps that would drive Perry and Rosier to improve instead of making a lame duck the number one...plus the more time Williams gets with the number ones the faster he will develop. Didn't we get beat by some young QB's last year, I think most here would tolerate seeing a young super talented QB develop then to suffer the same old, same old...

As you said, there isn’t anything the young qbs can’t do that rosier can in terms of running the offense. They simply moved the offense the best

Last edited:
Advertisement
There have been so many talented freshman QB's starting for other teams and since Williams is so talented...why the reluctance to make him the number one? Perhaps that would drive Perry and Rosier to improve instead of making a lame duck the number one...plus the more time Williams gets with the number ones the faster he will develop. Didn't we get beat by some young QB's last year, I think most here would tolerate seeing a young super talented QB develop then to suffer the same old, same old...

Eventually we will have transfers here at qb. It's part of the game and so prevalent in college these days.
I could envision a scenario where Williams was made number one and 3 guys could send in papers the next day.

Then you're one injury away from catastrophe. Ultimately let the best man win, administratively however there is a cost if one of these freshman usurp the position.

Eventually we will have transfers here at qb. It's part of the game and so prevalent in college these days.
I could envision a scenario where Williams was made number one and 3 guys could send in papers the next day.

Then you're one injury away from catastrophe. Ultimately let the best man win, administratively however there is a cost if one of these freshman usurp the position.
I've felt for some time this is exactly what Richt is trying to avoid - getting hung out to dry naming a starting QB too early in the process and having transfer/s deplete depth. We all know the depth chart and losing even one of them - especially the only one with live game experience (limitations as they may be). He knows the implications all too well. Thus, his measured words when answering questions about his QB's.

There was one play in the last or second to last drive of the scrimmage where the pocket collapse Williams ran for his life to the right and as I was expecting him to just go out of bounds, he had the presence to throw for a first down to Langham. It was a short first down, but a huge play he stayed with the WR all the way, waited to be open completed the pass a millisecond before running out of bounds while his body was turned against the WR. Impressive. but I equally loved Perry he moved the chains. Would love to see both of the back up QBs take long shots with the first team units.

Advertisement
Jarren is the best repeatable and effortless thrower on the field yesterday. I don't think that is up for debate. Ultimately he will be the guy that can consistently hit that "NFL window" throw. This is not a shinny new toy phenomenon, it just goes to show you how much work Williams has put in from a mechanical standpoint.

As far as the playbook, There isn't something that Rosier can do that Jarren cannot. Jarren however already knows escape routes within the pocket and how to look for multiple reads and its his first live fire scrimmage. I will touch on some X/O things soon. But Ultimately I think this is a big "show me" year for Mark Richt as OC.
Thank you for further info. I read about Williams ascendance and passion for his craft in an article that said the qb he studies and attempts to emulate most is drew brees. He is going to be a good one here. Maybe best one we have seen in a while.

Nice write up, as always @Roman Marciante.

So, if the reports are true about Richt only using roughly 20% of the playbook with Malik last year (reported by several "insiders"), the notion of Williams and Perry needing to learn the entire playbook, is debunked and should be put to bed.

Game experience is something that can't be replaced and should not be ignored. Rosier obviously has the edge here. However, the same way game experience should not be ignored, it also should not be the determining factor for rolling with Rosier this year, especially if only 20% of the playbook was used in said games. My wife would not be too thrilled if I told her she was only going get 20% of this dyck tonight! She would be like "what am I supposed to do with 2.5 inches?" LMFAO

Richt has to be frustrated with being handcuffed as it relates the type of plays he is able to call due to Rosier's limitations. If a limited amount of the playbook is going to be used again this year, it makes more sense to roll with one of the young guns because more would be able to be done within the 20% (think yards after catch, going through progressions, etc..)

Advertisement
Back