QB Observations - Spring Game

You had me at: "Charting their catch and release times with a stop watch". That's some serious shizzle. I strut in with a buzz and some pocket lint, two rubbers and a ticket stub. Appreciate the write up!

Advertisement
Richt's not stupid. He sees what we're seeing. But until Perry can hover near 60% completion rate consistently, or Williams gets his numbers with the 1s and 2s, not the 3s and 7x7s, Richt isn't going to risk having Rosier transfer and these two not panning out in top P5 game conditions. And either of those scenarios will take time to play out. So, IMHO, this QB controversy is going all the way through summer camp and into LSU,, even if they're obviously better than Rosier.

At the same time, if Rosier hasn't separated from both Perry and Williams by end of LSU, his snaps are going to diminish quickly. And this is the most likely outcome, IMHO. From a sequencing perspective, I'd prefer the winner to be Perry. But if Williams is as good as advertised, then they shouldn't shirt him, but give him enough reps to have the chance to earn the job. Expect Perry to transfer if that happens.

Am I the only one that doesn’t buy this? Are we going to be saying the same **** in 2021? The playbook is a reflection on the coaches scheme just as much as it is on the athletes you have. It’s year 3 and we continue to excuse vanilla conservative playcalling for games or scrimmages because of the QB. Richt’s Offensive strategy reminds me a lot of Randy Shannon’s approach where you know what we are going to do (4-3 Defense where nobody moves) for the most part but you have to try and stop us. He maaaaay sprinkle a few things here and there but it’s never anything too crazy. Creativity is not on these two coaches vocabulary.

I assure you FSU and Florida are opening things up with their new staff because that’s the type of Offense their staff run. Especially Urkel at FSU. He is going to throw the kitchen sink at us and we are going to continue to run up the middle on 2nd down.

Sample size is big enough. We have had 2 completely different QBs under Richt and the same results. Richt is what he is. Same goes for Rosier.

They scapegoated Kaaya. Now They want to just use Malik as the scapegoat bc they don’t want to admit Richt is washed up as a player. He runs a very vanilla offense. Beating a dead horse here... everyone knows Malik is limited, but Richt and vanilla offense/ playcalling isn’t helping one bit.

Advertisement
Am I the only one that doesn’t buy this? Are we going to be saying the same **** in 2021? The playbook is a reflection on the coaches scheme just as much as it is on the athletes you have. It’s year 3 and we continue to excuse vanilla conservative playcalling for games or scrimmages because of the QB. Richt’s Offensive strategy reminds me a lot of Randy Shannon’s approach where you know what we are going to do (4-3 Defense where nobody moves) for the most part but you have to try and stop us. He maaaaay sprinkle a few things here and there but it’s never anything too crazy. Creativity is not on these two coaches vocabulary.

I assure you FSU and Florida are opening things up with their new staff because that’s the type of Offense their staff run. Especially Urkel at FSU. He is going to throw the kitchen sink at us and we are going to continue to run up the middle on 2nd down.
I guarantee you coaches call plays according to the talent they have to execute those plays. If you have a QB that struggles with accuracy, you don't want him throwing across the middle of the field 15 times a game. Yes, they recruit players to fit into their system to the best of their abilities, but sometimes a player is just really not a good fit, and you have to change your system a bit to fit their skill set. Same thing if you have a super talented guy at a position. You play to their strengths, NOT to their weaknesses. Rosier's weaknesses were such that Richt had to change the O, or at least only use the parts of it he felt comfortable letting Rosier play.

Advertisement
Not completing the pass at all is even worse.

Yep all those 5 yard passes to the ground were woat.... Rosier is a much better qb but still not good enough, just shows how far we fell off landing talent at that position. I believe Nkosi and Jarren are much better qb talents than we've had in a long time.

"The problem is he was late delivering a ball to Harley on a dig (immediately enveloped by defenders) and he had a drag where his receiver had to dive and catch the ball. Rosier needs to stop limiting run after the catch potential. It is a hidden aspect that really stalls this offense."

Oh yeah. This was a big, big problem last year that was hidden by the stats. Even when Rosier did connect, we left a lot of yards and possible points off the board because of bad placement. WRs having to slow down, not catching the ball in stride, ball's behind him, too low, etc. This was an every-game problem.

The smart play is to give Rosier the start in LSU. The LSU game is meaningless regardless of the hype for it.

There is no earthly reason to cause drama by removing him from the starting spot before the season even starts. Then sub him out against the patsies and give the others a chance to get some real burn. When the ACC games start coming, that's when you put Rosier on a short leash, tell him to step up or take a seat on the bench while you roll with the others.

You're right, nobody would mention us losing four games in a row. That's a wonderful thing to have and after the LSU loss (not saying we lose, just the context of what you said) we can start up a win streak by beating the sisters of the poor before our FSU matchup.

The LSU game is a big game as far as national perception goes.

Advertisement
Nice write up, as always @Roman Marciante.

So, if the reports are true about Richt only using roughly 20% of the playbook with Malik last year (reported by several "insiders"), the notion of Williams and Perry needing to learn the entire playbook, is debunked and should be put to bed.

Game experience is something that can't be replaced and should not be ignored. Rosier obviously has the edge here. However, the same way game experience should not be ignored, it also should not be the determining factor for rolling with Rosier this year, especially if only 20% of the playbook was used in said games. My wife would not be too thrilled if I told her she was only going get 20% of this dyck tonight! She would be like "what am I supposed to do with 2.5 inches?" LMFAO

Richt has to be frustrated with being handcuffed as it relates the type of plays he is able to call due to Rosier's limitations. If a limited amount of the playbook is going to be used again this year, it makes more sense to roll with one of the young guns because more would be able to be done within the 20% (think yards after catch, going through progressions, etc..)

That's is under the assumption that using only 20% was because of the QB. I'm sure the oline has a lot to do with this. Even Richt said the other day that they had no time to run some route combinations that he would like to

You're right, nobody would mention us losing four games in a row. That's a wonderful thing to have and after the LSU loss (not saying we lose, just the context of what you said) we can start up a win streak by beating the sisters of the poor before our FSU matchup.

The LSU game is a big game as far as national perception goes.
There is no bigger game this season. Look at our target and offer list and you will see several high choice guys from the Midwest and Southwest we'd love to impress. LSU is also THE game that has the potential to show recruits weighing us against Alabama or UGA that we can compete with the SEC bluebloods. LSU means far more than 2018.

Rosier needs to stop limiting run after the catch potential. It is a hidden aspect that really stalls this offense.

This, this, a thousand times THIS. Bold it, underline it, fly it on a **** banner - THIS is what people mean when they say things like "the playbook sucks." The drag route that Berrios had to make a circus catch for and went for 4 yards when we needed 7... The curl that Thomas was sitting on for two full seconds before the ball got there... The slant that Richards had to twist his body and come to a near-stop to haul in...

This is what drives me absolutely crazy about Rosier. As Roman so eloquently stated, Mark Richt runs a TIMING offense. Ball placement and internal clock are everything - if the ball arrives where and when it should, Berrios catches it out front and stretches for the 1st down. Thomas snags the curl right out of his break and makes a guy miss. Richards takes that slant to the house. It was so infuriating watching play after play that should have worked but didn't, not because Rosier didn't read it right, but because he was a split-second late and 4 inches off (which, by the way, is the story of my life...)

Advertisement
Yep all those 5 yard passes to the ground were woat.... Rosier is a much better qb but still not good enough, just shows how far we fell off landing talent at that position. I believe Nkosi and Jarren are much better qb talents than we've had in a long time.
Sample size is big enough. We have had 2 completely different QBs under Richt and the same results. Richt is what he is. Same goes for Rosier.

They scapegoated Kaaya. Now They want to just use Malik as the scapegoat bc they don’t want to admit Richt is washed up as a player. He runs a very vanilla offense. Beating a dead horse here... everyone knows Malik is limited, but Richt and vanilla offense/ playcalling isn’t helping one bit.

I look at it this way. If Rosier can set the school record for TDs, Richt had to be doing something right. What numbers would a really good QB put up?

I saw enough of QB2 and QB3 at the scrimmage and have seen enough of QB1 last year and at the scrimmage that my ****** vote is to start either QB2 or QB3 against LSU and ride that pony to the ACC ship. Move one of them to the first unit for tomorrows practice. I can feel comfortable with either. MR is there and wants to win...so I will trust the process.

Love how you mentioned the timing aspect. Ultimately

Glad you mentioned the timing aspect. Richt offenses are essentially intrinsically woven with timing at its core. Qb steps have to be precise. WR steps need to be precise. I have learned that their is this invisible dance centered around a metronome in Richt's head. He is the conductor. But ultimately this is what I am noticing. Defenses know the rhythm. Especially our defense. And this when it gets complicated with a skill set such as Malik.

I'll give you an example. During the scrimmage Malik first read had him looking out towards the X. But Manny had a nice combo switch with his striker. Essentially CB came down to play the flats, The striker from a lb position (Might have been Romeo) essentially took over top. Nice wrinkle although it is a standard cover 3 philosophy just with the striker and cb exchanging responsibilities. Malik at this point pauses. Seemingly confused by the read and takes a sack.

Now stuff like this can happen in the game all the time. Diaz knows the rhythm and the pre read "look" Malik is wanting to take. Just anticipate it with fools gold and get Malik to reset and gather and the % drops immensely. That is why I was so adamant in my early write up about his accuracy once he is out of "phase" with the initial rhythm.

I had this feeling yesterday with Malik that once that first read was taken away the play was doomed for failure. That is something collectively the staff might want to consider more. Those secondary and tertiary reads and having them built in bailouts quicker for Malik. At this point I would hope after 5 years at the collegiate level that Malik knows EXACTLY where to go with the ball if read one is not there. But I just do not see him doing that consistently and that was the case again yesterday.

Now to Malik's credit there were times where he read open field #1 then let the ball fly across the other side after it closed and the initial wasn't open. He maybe seemed to know that it was 1 v 1 opposite the look. However I do not recall him completing one of those passes. It was more to me "ok read one, NOPE, let it fly on the other side." But that was just my take.

If I am an opposing defensive coordinator. I sell out to do two things vs Miami. 1. Stop the run 2. Force Malik to read the field and take away his primary read. I would bait slants, bubbles, just ultimately do whatever I can to get him to go through his progressions. Ultimately I might be onto something here because when Miami can't run and you have seen the 7th batted slant, almost picked screen, and LB's taking away the bubble this offense seems to come apart at the seems.

Great exchange by you. Appreciate the time you put into your response.

Great content by both. Thanks.

I see much of the same:

Malik looks comfortable but ultimately limited (for the reasons you stated).
Perry looks talented but very uncomfortable.
Williams looks comfortable and talented with poise beyond his years.

I too like the repeatable and compact nature of William's release; he's pure, without a lot of moving parts or wind-up. Under pressure, flaws get will exposed and that's when natural talent and technique take over. Jarren has both while the other two are lacking in one or the other.

I can't foresee a scenario where Williams wont be the best QB by the first game. He looks like he has "it" and seems to only be lacking meaningful reps..

He shouldn't stay 3rd string for long and I expect him to be a serious challenger to start.

Last edited:
Great content by both. Thanks.

I see this:

Malik looks comfortable but ultimately limited (for the reasons you stated).
Perry looks talented but very uncomfortable.
Williams looks comfortable and talented with poise beyond his years.

I too like the repeatable nature of William's release. Under pressure weaknesses will be exposed and that's when natural talent and technique take over. Jarren has all that but the other two are lacking in one or the other.

I can't foresee a scenario where Williams wont be the best QB by the first game. He looks like he has "it" and seems to only be lacking meaningful reps..

He shouldn't stay 3rd string for long and I expect him to be a serious challenger to start.
Pretty much this. If the OL can be patched up with some semblance of consistency, we have the weapons on O to take pressure off of a freshman QB. Rosier's ceiling is what we saw last year, and despite his flashes, Perry appears to me way to erratic at this point.

Advertisement
Back