Official QB Jaden Rashada: COMMITS… & then Flips to the gator… & then the gator welches on the payments so he doesn’t enroll and rescinds NLI

Advertisement
We can all dump on the Gates, but it seems like they dodged a bullet. Rashada is like a portal cast-off at this point and scrounging around for anyone with a pulse that'll take him.
If that’s the case with the gator, then we dodged one too.

We can all dump on the Gates, but it seems like they dodged a bullet. Rashada is like a portal cast-off at this point and scrounging around for anyone with a pulse that'll take him.

Which makes me think there has to be a lawsuit in the works, considering that he was expecting a certain amount, and now will have to accept much much less. Of course I don’t know the intricacies of the law and what his standing would be, but maybe one of the lawyers can chime in like @TheOriginalCane or @RVACane.

The bottom line is this, Rashada, and his family, will be realizing a significantly reduced amount due to what was basically a broken promise/broken contract.

Advertisement
Which makes me think there has to be a lawsuit in the works, considering that he was expecting a certain amount, and now will have to accept much much less. Of course I don’t know the intricacies of the law and what his standing would be, but maybe one of the lawyers can chime in like @TheOriginalCane or @RVACane.

The bottom line is this, Rashada, and his family, will be realizing a significantly reduced amount due to what was basically a broken promise/broken contract.
That’s what I’ve been thinking, that they induced him to forgo money at Miami for the gator deal and he acted on that and then the gator didn’t honor it. I’ll leave it to someone who actively practices.

If that’s the case with the gator, then we dodged one too.
I think we dodged a bullet but not the gator. They got caught up in a mess with him, even though they seemingly caused it.

I don't really fault him for taking what was reportedly offered to him. If he is smart he'll go to Washington. That coach is doing pretty good things there. Especially on offense

Advertisement
That’s what I’ve been thinking, that they induced him to forgo money at Miami for the gator deal and he acted on that and then the gator didn’t honor it. I’ll leave it to someone who actively practices.
I seriously doubt he’ll see that kind of $$$ offer from anyone else. Gator was desperate for a recruiting win and went all in. I don’t think he’s worth that kind of money anyway.

I seriously doubt he’ll see that kind of $$$ offer from anyone else. Gator was desperate for a recruiting win and went all in. I don’t think he’s worth that kind of money anyway.
The thing is that our previous offer is no longer available either so he lost that. Interestingly, the gator apparently then tried to get him for either our previous offer or theirs before their highest offer. Given that they already seem to have breached, I don’t think he’s under a duty to take their next offer to mitigate when they broke the original deal. I think if he had a deal with us that could serve as some mitigation but our offer went when he decommitted.

While I get some of it, fools and their money parted here. They to overplayed their hand.

Advertisement
Depends a lot on what the contract says, but it seems like a textbook example of promissory estoppel.

I am definitely not a lawyer, but on January 12, I porsted this on gator tears. Renee Sacasas would be proud.

All right now you legal whizbangs, does promissory estoppel have any role here. In other words, the promise of Florida prevented him, or caused him, to give up the other thing in Miami.

Is the Gator Collective going to deny the $13.85M offer was ever even made just like they did about the $11M offer they made in the summer? The burden of proof is on the Rashadas as to the terms of the agreement.

Advertisement
The thing is that our previous offer is no longer available either so he lost that. Interestingly, the gator apparently then tried to get him for either our previous offer or theirs before their highest offer. Given that they already seem to have breached, I don’t think he’s under a duty to take their next offer to mitigate when they broke the original deal. I think if he had a deal with us that could serve as some mitigation but our offer went when he decommitted.

While I get some of it, fools and their money parted here. They to overplayed their hand.

Yeah, the implications are dizzying.

We've already conversed about the fact that these NIL deals have a couple of elements that are somewhat new to a lot of sports/entertainment contracts.

One is that the "advertised" dollar amount is usually a "max" that can only be attained by hitting every metric and every incentive. Until about 3 or 4 years from now, when one college player can bust out 5 years worth of 1040s that will add up to $13.85 million, we have to remember that these deals are just POTENTIAL.

Second, there are a number of terms that (without even discussing breach) can cause a contract to end, such as when a player leaves one particular geographic area and is no longer available to fulfill the terms of the original NIL deal.

Finally, it is probably impossible to establish an "apples to apples" comparison between various NIL deals, which then might make it harder for people like the Rashadas to establish the certainty and dollar amount of the damages.

Having said that, I'm sure that judges are not going to be very happy to be getting cases where someone signs a multi-million-dollar contract one day and then gets to repudiate it a month later by saying "whoops".

I am definitely not a lawyer, but on January 12, I porsted this on gator tears. Renee Sacasas would be proud.

Love Sacasas! Knew him for years, he was one of the Masters in Pearson (?) Residential College. I think. Mahoney or Pearson. I lived in both. Not at the same time, obviously...

We need David Singer on this

Good lord, me and my UM friends would always do that "Is that a light on in David Singer's office" line...

Maybe I never noticed this before on my crappy college TV, but David Singer has a rare ability to underline stuff in books without even looking...

Advertisement
Back