Official QB Jaden Rashada: COMMITS… & then Flips to the gator… & then the gator welches on the payments so he doesn’t enroll and rescinds NLI

Not if they want to play right away.

You get 1 free transfer without having to sit out a year.

After that, you have to sit out a year, unless you are a grad transfer.

Yup. And if you're a 5* QB out of HS and end up sticking around college long enough to grad transfer, you've already seriously fvcked things up.

Advertisement

Still not seeing it tbh.

If I were his dad, I'd figure out his top schools, then go after them and work to get the highest NIL offer from each that I could. Then throw the NIL #'s into the equation along with what he likes about each school and program and make a comprehensive decision. I don't really see anything happening that feels much different than that, except for fan bases getting caught up in their feelings because he cares about NIL and hasn't committed to their team yet. But I can't say I've been following recruiting on a granular level this year.

You don't think that Chris Walsh, Kyle Wright, Bryan Fortay, etc wish they had gotten NIL? They made zero playing football. To have that cushion as you head off into the world as a young adult is an incredible thing. Football doesn't work out for most of these kids.

I think you’ve been misinformed here and you’re wrong. Miami has and continues to address the right tackle position. There are two tackles in SEC country that Miami have been recruiting and are in contact with. One young man from Opelika, Alabama and a young man from Albany, Georgia 6’7 285 pounds.

Also, there are two tackles in Oregon that Mario and Mirabal are recruiting. One played with my son at Oregon State. A 6’5 320 young man who is of Polynesian descent.

Because it isn’t reported doesn’t mean it isn’t happening. Mario is relentless. He leaves no stone unturned.
My comments are no knock on Mario and I expect nothing less than to leave no stone unturned. No stone unturned, plays right into point though. We are at that point via the portal. I dont doubt Mario will find someone but it won't be a first second or third choice by now. My point is that you cant just default to, we will figure it out via the portal and for cheaper, as a go to. Once again, the portal is a viable option to fill holes but it should not be the primary. In this case we are talking about the premier position in QB.

Last edited:
My comments are no knock on Mario and I expect nothing less than to leave no stone unturned. No stone unturned, plays right into point though. We are at that point via the portal. I dont doubt Mario will find someone but it won't be a first second or third choice by now. My point is that you cant just default to, we will figure it out via the portal and for cheaper, as a go to. Once again, the portal is a viable option to fill holes but it should not be the primary. In this case we are talking about the premier position in QB.
Let’s agree to disagree. You’re too caught up into wanting Mario to fail at something. You have no idea who his first, second, third or even his fourth choice is. You’re guessing, assuming and you’re on the outside looking in. You’re in the dark and that’s what he prefers. No leaks ever from his camp unless he clears it, which he’s done just to see who had loose lips.

My point is, you’re WRONG regarding the RT position. That’s the only position I can speak on.

Advertisement
Let’s agree to disagree. You’re too caught up into wanting Mario to fail at something. You have no idea who his first, second, third or even his fourth choice is. You’re guessing, assuming and you’re on the outside looking in. You’re in the dark and that’s what he prefers. No leaks ever from his camp unless he clears it, which he’s done just to see who had loose lips.

My point is, you’re WRONG regarding the RT position. That’s the only position I can speak on.
I can assure you I am not wanting Mario to fail at anything. I am in the dark and 100% outside looking just like 98% of the posters on here. That doesnt mean we cant view things through what we see and comment, kinda the point of a site like this. I guess making any comments that aren't rainbows and unicorn ***** is viewed upon as wanting Mario to fail though. What we do know is that we needed/need an RT. We do know that Mims was a major target for us there and it didn't work out. It was reported that we were looking at Tyler Steen as an option. We do know that the portal has been closed for anybody that wants to jump in and play this year since the beginning of the month. We also have a huge thread that follows who has or hasn't entered. I once again, dont doubt Mario won't leave any stone unturned and he just may and I hope he does find the piece we need, but saying things are going swimmingly there seems a stretch at best. Still, for the 100th time my point isn't to attack Mario or some sort of perceived mistake made, its underlining that relying on the portal as a primary source of talent is a dangerous game.

Nico & Jaden were my two favorite QBs this cycle & no, it’s not b/c I was Cali biased. Lol

Both have ideal frames w/ height & room to grow. Nico is playing at a FB powerhouse, but prior to, he played at Warren, which is not a traditional power, & almost led them to an undefeated season, but lost a shoot out to Corona Del Mar in the playoffs. 33 TDs - 1 int

Jaden is apart of that section of Bay Area football that have produced some legendary players, bro. The 925 produces talent, folk. He makes allllllll the throws, & he’s been killing it on the 7-on-7 circuit. He led Pittsburg to a 9-3 record & was a game away from the State Title. It’s why he’s being talked about becoming the #1 overall player.

Both r good athletes, that “can” run, but choose to pass 1st. It’s just crazy that CA is home of 3 of the top 5 QBs in the nation. SC was smart to lock up Malachi ASAP. Lol.
IMO I like Rashada better than Nico, Nico feels like he is a blind side sack away from big time injury.

I can assure you I am not wanting Mario to fail at anything. I am in the dark and 100% outside looking just like 98% of the posters on here. That doesnt mean we cant view things through what we see and comment, kinda the point of a site like this. I guess making any comments that aren't rainbows and unicorn ***** is viewed upon as wanting Mario to fail though. What we do know is that we needed/need an RT. We do know that Mims was a major target for us there and it didn't work out. It was reported that we were looking at Tyler Steen as an option. We do know that the portal has been closed for anybody that wants to jump in and play this year since the beginning of the month. We also have a huge thread that follows who has or hasn't entered. I once again, dont doubt Mario won't leave any stone unturned and he just may and I hope he does find the piece we need, but saying things are going swimmingly there seems a stretch at best. Still, for the 100th time my point isn't to attack Mario or some sort of perceived mistake made, its underlining that relying on the portal as a primary source of talent is a dangerous game.

Do not forget there is one major caveat to the bolded. Players can apply for a special waiver to allow them to play without sitting a season (even if they aren't in the portal in time), and historically grad transfers have had a VERY easy time acquiring a waiver.

Not if they want to play right away.

You get 1 free transfer without having to sit out a year.

After that, you have to sit out a year, unless you are a grad transfer.
well it's not a once in a lifetime decision then, they can leave after one year if they want to.

They can also transfer at any point to better their situation.

See Caleb Williams, Justin Fields, Dillion Gabriel, Jaxson Dart, etc...

I made the statement in jest, but their is truth in it. It isn't a once in a lifetime decision, they can make another decision in a year or 2 or 3.

Advertisement
I agree in principal that it is a better situation to not rely on the portal for QB (or any position for that matter) if your evaluations are sound and you are able to stack talent, but there is so much talent at the position that goes through there if you can sell your school.

3 recent heisman winners and two playoff quarterbacks in like the last 5 or 6 years years alone, and that isn't even counting the guys that have been serviceable. That isn't just filling holes, that is finding game changers, award winners, and championship winners at the position that are willing to move to a different situation. I think the case for portal QB is probably stronger than any other position in part because the slowing of the era of a QB willing to sit for 2 or more years if there is an incumbent, but also because of the impact one of those guys can have.

Essentially, if you do not find yourself in the position that schools like Bama with young, Ohio state with Stroud, and us with TVD find ourselves in at the end of the 2021 season with a 1st round underclassman coming back for sure, competing at the position requires a thorough consideration of each year's crop of QBs just like high school recruits. That isn't defaulting to the portal, that is realizing the portal has provided some of the best players at the position every year in recent years and cannot be ignored or under valued.

Look, man, I'm not going to fight with you. I'm just going to point out the logical/argumentative failing that you are alluding to.

No. No no no no no. "Comments that aren't rainbows and unicorn ****s is viewed upon as wanting Mario to fail". No no no no no.

If we are true Hurricane fans, we MUST STOP with this non-sensical extremism. Not everything in life revolves around the "slurpers vs. mopers" dynamic, and we have got to stop with the defensive "create an extreme straw-man" argument to fight with people with whom we disagree. There are posters on this board who try to provide some insight. And there are other posters who act like if some ******* sports writer hasn't confirmed a story in print, it didn't happen.

So this is a perfect example of how things play out:

Mopey group comes on the board to complain and bemoan the fact that we have not (yet) signed more Portal kids at certain positions (OT, WR, LB).

Another group comes on the board to point out that the Portal is still open, grad transfers will still enter the Portal (and EASILY get waivers to play immediatedly), that we have 3 more months to enroll guys, and that there are multiple Portal guys that are being actively recruited by UM.

Unfortunately, when some people provide accurate inside information of what is happening beyond the news articles, they are attacked, since inside information is invariably less-than-100%-perfect-and-accurate. And the cycle goes on and on and on.

The fact remains...those who judge our recruiting or development or coaching or roster management based solely on Barry Jackson/Gaby Urrutia articles are only seeing the tip of the iceberg. And those who provide inside information are not "sunshine pumpers" or "slurpers".

Mario is still working. He is not "relying on the Portal as a primary source of talent". He is using the Portal to address years of negligence on Manny's part. In an ideal world, I believe Mario would love to sign full classes of high school recruits and develop them all for 3 to 5 years. But that's not where we stand today.

Let's just be patient. It's hard. It sucks. It's no fun. But we are not Alabama yet, we cannot snap our fingers and get to 85 contributing scholarship players whenever we want. Let's let Mario do what he does best, and let's wait to evaluate his recruiting cycle until mid-August.

Do not forget there is one major caveat to the bolded. Players can apply for a special waiver to allow them to play without sitting a season (even if they aren't in the portal in time), and historically grad transfers have had a VERY easy time acquiring a waiver.

This is 100% true. Grad transfers only need to say "I'm enrolling in this grad program at New U that is not available at Old U", and they are good to go. Been going on for years.

I agree in principal that it is a better situation to not rely on the portal for QB (or any position for that matter) if your evaluations are sound and you are able to stack talent, but there is so much talent at the position that goes through there if you can sell your school.

3 recent heisman winners and two playoff quarterbacks in like the last 5 or 6 years years alone, and that isn't even counting the guys that have been serviceable. That isn't just filling holes, that is finding game changers, award winners, and championship winners at the position that are willing to move to a different situation. I think the case for portal QB is probably stronger than any other position in part because the slowing of the era of a QB willing to sit for 2 or more years if there is an incumbent, but also because of the impact one of those guys can have.

Essentially, if you do not find yourself in the position that schools like Bama with young, Ohio state with Stroud, and us with TVD find ourselves in at the end of the 2021 season with a 1st round underclassman coming back for sure, competing at the position requires a thorough consideration of each year's crop of QBs just like high school recruits. That isn't defaulting to the portal, that is realizing the portal has provided some of the best players at the position every year in recent years and cannot be ignored or under valued.
Everything you posted makes perfect sense but the premise behind this whole discussion is Rashada and the fact that he and his fam is asking for a ridiculous NIL. My point isn’t just that we shouldn’t use the portal as our primary which you appear to agree with but my point is also that the portal will continue to be competitive and probably more competitive than regular recruiting. We will continue to use the portal as we should, but expecting to land top flight QBs there on the cheap isn’t this easy task. I then outlined our own experiences in the portal this year as an exhibit.

Advertisement
Why is that a good chance? Wouldn’t that depend on the kid’s character? Are we somehow correlating that a kid that fetches a high price, is somehow impatient and not willing to work for the job?
Not correlating anything on there character, I just know kids want to play early so they can get to the NFL. Very rare for a highly rated QB that is good to sit on the bench for 2 years waiting for his chance. Jake should be commended for what he did by not transferring.

Still not seeing it tbh.

If I were his dad, I'd figure out his top schools, then go after them and work to get the highest NIL offer from each that I could. Then throw the NIL #'s into the equation along with what he likes about each school and program and make a comprehensive decision. I don't really see anything happening that feels much different than that, except for fan bases getting caught up in their feelings because he cares about NIL and hasn't committed to their team yet. But I can't say I've been following recruiting on a granular level this year.

You don't think that Chris Walsh, Kyle Wright, Bryan Fortay, etc wish they had gotten NIL? They made zero playing football. To have that cushion as you head off into the world as a young adult is an incredible thing. Football doesn't work out for most of these kids.

I think u neglected to read difficult home life.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back