Official QB Jaden Rashada: COMMITS… & then Flips to the gator… & then the gator welches on the payments so he doesn’t enroll and rescinds NLI

This is quickly turning into the NFL where teams will start routinely overpaying for busts. Not speaking of Rashada specifically but it's going to start happening.
Without the certainty of multi-year contracts and caps. These locker rooms are going to be cesspools of me-first divas and jealous second tier guys making scraps, comparatively. Then you got the street agents and families. Total train wreck.

Advertisement
For QB, I’d save my money for the portal. Seems like less risk.
For sure. Or stagger the value of QB you go after each cycle. Crazy high profile guy in 2022 but them maybe that high potential Marcus Stokes type 3/4 in 2023. Haha of course if you're papered up you can just pursue whoever you want each year. I don't know how that NIL Budget looks for us.

This is quickly turning into the NFL where teams will start routinely overpaying for busts. Not speaking of Rashada specifically but it's going to start happening.
To this end... Let's say some of these A&M DL bust and it is time to process them out like Bama does annually. What happens to these NIL contracts if the player does not want to leave but knowing a scholarship is only a one year contract between the school and player? It is going to get ugly.

To this end... Let's say some of these A&M DL bust and it is time to process them out like Bama does annually. What happens to these NIL contracts if the player does not want to leave but knowing a scholarship is only a one year contract between the school and player? It is going to get ugly.
Will it? That’s a strong assumption without seeing an actual deal, no? I’d like to think these things are addressed with the big deals. I’d imagine they would just let the smaller deals skate. That said, like you, everything i say is assumptive.

Advertisement
Will it? That’s a strong assumption without seeing an actual deal, no? I’d like to think these things are addressed with the big deals. I’d imagine they would just let the smaller deals skate. That said, like you, everything i say is assumptive.
It is a complete hypothetical. Let's take the TN qb's deal. Many people have said it is not $8mm up front but split over the four years, and common sense would dictate that's how this is set up, so its kind of more than complete conjecture. So let's say it is $500k to sign and the rest evenly each year. What happens if he sucks, gets injured, gets recruited over, whatever and he says I have this guaranteed NIL money, I am not going anywhere. The school says time to go. Then what? Do the contracts have buy out amounts? They are technically not supposed to be tied to attending the school, so how do those two contracts reconcile? It is not like this is some farfetched possibility.

I saw some of the contracts this morning for the top guys. None have any mention of the school or any conditions related to continued participation.

I saw some of the contracts this morning for the top guys. None have any mention of the school or any conditions related to continued participation.

Are there pretty standard player to player? Also, are there incentives for performance?

Advertisement
Are there pretty standard player to player? Also, are there incentives for performance?
Nothing related to performance. Also, the license is non-exclusive. Can’t speak to how uniform the agreements are, but I think the forms I looked at are being used by the big collectives.

So if a guy transfers after his sophomore year, he will still get the amounts backloaded to his junior and senior years?

Lol you would swear the money was coming from the porsters on CIS. If he can get a billion from Ruiz who gives af.
Bruh...
Jill Scott Yes GIF

Advertisement
For sure. Or stagger the value of QB you go after each cycle. Crazy high profile guy in 2022 but them maybe that high potential Marcus Stokes type 3/4 in 2023. Haha of course if you're papered up you can just pursue whoever you want each year. I don't know how that NIL Budget looks for us.
That's what I was thinking.

Year 1: High Value (Signing 1)
Year 2: 3 star QB (Signing 2)
Year 3: 3 star QB (Signing 3)
Year 4: High Value (Signing 4)

In this case, you generally will have to start a high value freshman quarterback because you won't be able to build sustained, blue chip depth. If he is good, after year 3 he will be going to the NFL. So in Year 4 you start again, with likely one or two 3 star backups.

Advertisement
And what happens if the NIL trend is coupled with a desire by schools to begin giving out four year guaranteed scholarships, as opposed to annual renewals.

It is a complete hypothetical. Let's take the TN qb's deal. Many people have said it is not $8mm up front but split over the four years, and common sense would dictate that's how this is set up, so its kind of more than complete conjecture. So let's say it is $500k to sign and the rest evenly each year. What happens if he sucks, gets injured, gets recruited over, whatever and he says I have this guaranteed NIL money, I am not going anywhere. The school says time to go. Then what? Do the contracts have buy out amounts? They are technically not supposed to be tied to attending the school, so how do those two contracts reconcile? It is not like this is some farfetched possibility.
It’s structured as a market advance. Theoretically, the upside is greater than that if the collective recoups the amount of the advance prior to termination. Very unlikely to happen unless the kid turns out to be a star, but possible.

You set metrics that can be controlled and turned off if need be. You get the kid to agree to such things with the promise of potential and an up front sum. Kids will always bet on themselves. There can be a clause as simple as the collective can terminate the agreement at any time. You said, its not some far fetched possibility, and you are right but that can go both ways. Who are you betting on in contract negotiations in this nascent phase of CFB, the kids and their family lawyer or the collective?

Advertisement
Back