Official QB Jaden Rashada: COMMITS… & then Flips to the gator… & then the gator welches on the payments so he doesn’t enroll and rescinds NLI

I get the feeling you are literally going to spend a couple hundred $K (or million+...) for.Jaden for essentially a 1 year commitment and/or spring try-out (after TVD leaves). And if Jake Garcia wins, Jaden hits the portal and money is basically wasted. Lol at what college football is about to become

Advertisement
I get the feeling you are literally going to spend a couple hundred $K for.Jaden for a spring try-out (after TVD leaves). And if Jake Garcia wins, Jaden hits the portal and money is basically wasted. Lol at what college football is about to become
Sure, maybe, but that’s the game you gotta play. If we take your glass is half empty example, at least we had two top 50 guys compete for the starting role.

I get the feeling you are literally going to spend a couple hundred $K (or million+...) for.Jaden for essentially a 1 year commitment and/or spring try-out (after TVD leaves). And if Jake Garcia wins, Jaden hits the portal and money is basically wasted. Lol at what college football is about to become
Curious as to why you and many others believe it would be money wasted in that scenario. Do you think they would get the money up front? That they would give whatever you see the price on the NIL all at once after they sign? I’m genuinely curious.

I would bet that most of these deals are back loaded for this exact reason. Very small money upfront. Lots of incentives (read performance based) back loaded.

Curious as to why you and many others believe it would be money wasted in that scenario. Do you think they would get the money up front? That they would give whatever you see the price on the NIL all at once after they sign? I’m genuinely curious.

I would bet that most of these deals are back loaded for this exact reason. Very small money upfront. Lots of incentives (read performance based) back loaded.
Yes no doubt the $8M deal Tenn QB deal (Nico?) is heavily back-loaded and incentive based as I'm sure many of the NIL deals are but i remember reading somewhere on CIS (rumor cause no one knows the details) it was still a guaranteed (or maybe upfront) payment of $350-400K.

No way Jaden is coming for zero upfront. He obviously has a team (I'm sure w/ lawyers) negotiating this NIL deal for him. Fat amount upfront guaranteed + monthly payments + annual escalators + incentives for performance.

That said, If Ruiz wants to throw $400K (or who knows what crazy number) at Jaden for prob a 1 year try-out so be it. That's the game now i guess. Just crazy how bad some of the unforeseen complexities and outcomes NIL has created for the sport (many which arent good like this)

Advertisement
Yes no doubt the $8M deal Tenn QB deal (Nico?) is heavily back-loaded and incentive based as I'm sure many of the NIL deals are but i remember reading somewhere on CIS (rumor cause no one knows the details) it was still a guaranteed (or maybe upfront) payment of $350-400K.

No way Jaden is coming for zero upfront. He obviously has a team (I'm sure w/ lawyers) negotiating this NIL deal for him. Fat amount upfront guaranteed + monthly payments + annual escalators + incentives for performance.

That said, If Ruiz wants to throw $400K (or who knows what crazy number) at Jaden for prob a 1 year try-out so be it. That's the game now i guess. Just crazy how bad some of the unforeseen complexities and outcomes NIL has created for the sport (many which arent good like this)
I see the train of thought for sure but that’s exactly what I’m saying. Dude signs a 8mil contract and 350-400k is guaranteed? That’s NFL **** that drives me wild. That is almost as worthless as the clickbait headline. 8 mil only a tiny fraction of which is guaranteed.

Of course it’s not actually worthless but that’s the price of doing business. I doubt they are giving him that 350-400k the moment he shows up. Again, that would be dumb and opens up the “take the money and run.” Any savvy businessman that are making these would make it to where anyone that is recruited has a small guaranteed money up front and then is doled out game by game with incentives thrown in.

My point is to stop looking at sticker price and think like buying an item and think of it more like a first time home buyer mortgage (kinda but not really). There’s a small percentage up front but then payments that are monthly, quarterly, weekly, etc.

Once again these NIL deals would incentivize the athlete to stay and compete/perform instead being given the entire payment.

And when it does happen that they take the money and run. It’s usually going to be a comparatively small amount and you have to think of it as an operating cost.

We’re not here to try to get a deal like the old administration and coaching staph. We’re paying top money for top results. We’re not going to the goodwill to try to find a used bargain.

And whatever the total sum number is, I'm pretty sure it will not be fully guaranteed, will be broken up by years, and will be tied to thresholds to meet

UM fans need to realize that the emergence of a new frontier benefits those that (1) aggressively pursue its value; (2) are well capitalized; and (3) are structured in approach. Very fortunately, that seems to be UM right now.

I can't believe how many posters are spooked by this golden opportunity before us.

The benefit of NIL versus the old bag game is security for the investment. These NIL contracts are airtight with provisions to protect the investors. Not like 200k cash goes missing. Lawyers cross every t and dot every lowercase j.

Advertisement
UM fans need to realize that the emergence of a new frontier benefits those that (1) aggressively pursue its value; (2) are well capitalized; and (3) are structured in approach. Very fortunately, that seems to be UM right now.

I can't believe how many posters are spooked by this golden opportunity before us.
As far as I can tell, our capital is, primarily, from one source. To presume that’s sustainable seems foolish to me. I can think of a bundle of scenarios where that faucet is abruptly turned off. And while I know nothing about the lifewallet corporate structure or cap table, unless the Ruiz family owns it all, I don’t know how he can continue to hand out NIL deals without exposing himself to liability. If I were a minority owner, I’d put a stop to that real quick.

Putting UM aside, the grown ups have completely left the room. The current environment is terrible for the game. Reinstating the one year transfer rule is the best — and possibly only — regulatory move the NCAA could make to keep this from going off a cliff fast…but we know that won’t happen.

As far as I can tell, our capital is, primarily, from one source. To presume that’s sustainable seems foolish to me. I can think of a bundle of scenarios where that faucet is abruptly turned off. And while I know nothing about the lifewallet corporate structure or cap table, unless the Ruiz family owns it all, I don’t know how he can continue to hand out NIL deals without exposing himself to liability. If I were a minority owner, I’d put a stop to that real quick.

Putting UM aside, the grown ups have completely left the room. The current environment is terrible for the game. Reinstating the one year transfer rule is the best — and possibly only — regulatory move the NCAA could make to keep this from going off a cliff fast…but we know that won’t happen.

I agree that reinstatement of the 1-year transfer rule can serve as a good stabilizer.

I don't agree with much else of your post. You think an influx of money into the sport is going to result in its demise? It'll change and it is changing. And it has been changing for years. There's just a major deflation of power for the single governing body that was previously completely controlling it and manipulating it in a discriminatory manner.

And if you really think all the investment and money for the program is just Ruiz, then you're not paying attention. Ruiz just makes noise because he is literally marketing. You're getting distracted by the low hanging fruit. From all reports, Ruiz wasn't even a primary figure involved in the negotiations with Mario re his contract and commitments for money and infrastructure improvements. Mario didn't fly in on Ruiz's plane...

I agree that reinstatement of the 1-year transfer rule can serve as a good stabilizer.

I don't agree with much else of your post. You think an influx of money into the sport is going to result in its demise? It'll change and it is changing. And it has been changing for years. There's just a major deflation of power for the single governing body that was previously completely controlling it and manipulating it in a discriminatory manner.

And if you really think all the investment and money for the program is just Ruiz, then you're not paying attention. Ruiz just makes noise because he is literally marketing. You're getting distracted by the low hanging fruit. From all reports, Ruiz wasn't even a primary figure involved in the negotiations with Mario re his contract and commitments for money and infrastructure improvements. Mario didn't fly in on Ruiz's plane...
I didn’t refer to any investment in the program. I’m talking about paying players. I see Ruiz’s roster: https://www.lifewallet.com/LifeWallet/community/

I don’t know of any other companies willing to pay 6 or 7 figures for the (worthless) NIL rights of a high school prospect. There may be, I guess, but I’m skeptical.

I didn’t refer to any investment in the program. I’m talking about paying players. I see Ruiz’s roster: https://www.lifewallet.com/LifeWallet/community/

I don’t know of any other companies willing to pay 6 or 7 figures for the (worthless) NIL rights of a high school prospect. There may be, I guess, but I’m skeptical.

I think you’re failing to see the forest through the trees.

Advertisement

The only difference between now and two years ago is the scope and the fact that you can’t pretend like it doesn’t exist, and the fact that we can now actually legally compete. Georgia, A&M, Bama have been paying boatloads for years, so what exactly is the difference between them and now?

The only difference between now and two years ago is the scope and the fact that you can’t pretend like it doesn’t exist, and the fact that we can now actually legally compete. Georgia, A&M, Bama have been paying boatloads for years, so what exactly is the difference between them and now?
NIL plus transfer portal is a match made in ****. It’s just going to be an annual bidding war. One of my good buddies is the founder of Forward Counsel, the firm in Newport that negotiated the TN quarterback’s NIL deal. He told me high school sophomores in CA are setting up trusts for tax avoidance purposes and working on 6 figure NIL deals for their remaining two years in high school. The slope is so slippery. Football is going to be an annual pickup game. The concept of team is gone. If you think this is great for the game, I couldn’t disagree more. And I just don’t believe UM can compete long term in this environment. Hope I’m wrong, but the collectives are going to rule imo unless some regulation comes.

NIL plus transfer portal is a match made in ****. It’s just going to be an annual bidding war. One of my good buddies is the founder of Forward Counsel, the firm in Newport that negotiated the TN quarterback’s NIL deal. He told me high school sophomores in CA are setting up trusts for tax avoidance purposes and working on 6 figure NIL deals for their remaining two years in high school. The slope is so slippery. Football is going to be an annual pickup game. The concept of team is gone. If you think this is great for the game, I couldn’t disagree more. And I just don’t believe UM can compete long term in this environment. Hope I’m wrong, but the collectives are going to rule imo unless some regulation comes.
But my point is as a Miami fan, your issue should be with the portal, not NIL. Kids have been getting paid five to six figures for years. Sure it is a new level but who cares. At least more teams, including Miami, can play without the NCAA arbitrarily protecting its favored schools.

Advertisement
But my point is as a Miami fan, your issue should be with the portal, not NIL. Kids have been getting paid five to six figures for years. Sure it is a new level but who cares. At least more teams, including Miami, can play without the NCAA arbitrarily protecting its favored schools.
Read my initial post. The biggest problem is the portal. And I don’t believe UM can compete, long term, in the NIL game unless it’s fenced in by some regulation.

Not true. He's just the loudest and proudest.

Read my initial post. The biggest problem is the portal. And I don’t believe UM can compete, long term, in the NIL game unless it’s fenced in by some regulation.
The first post lumped things together. The second is sheer conjecture based off assumptions.

Advertisement
Back