QB disaster in a nutshell

RedSquare

Freshman
I’m trying to figure out how two of the worst throws/decisions you will ever seen from supposedly a top tier college Qb happened not only in the same game, but were committed by two different guys. Case in point:

On the TVD pick on his first throw of the game, he tries to get the ball literally through the db rolling up to play the curl to flat, with the pattern into the boundary making it clear that there is no throw. There is nothing in the route concept as run which would make you want to deliver that throw. Nothing. Nada. It’s actually a pretty simple route concept that you’re going to see as soon as you start playing organized football. That it would have confused a college Qb into an error shouldn’t be feasible in this universe.

And not to be outdone, what makes even less sense, (if possible):

Garcia not reading the cat blitz off the boundary that could have got him killed. I’ve worked with kids who were JV in high school that already know that. Missing that is the QB equivalent of not knowing you need to unzip your fly before you take a leak.

I’m struggling to understand how those plays could have happened, and not only that, with two different guys in the same game. because from a QB coach perspective, that defies logic and probability

Advertisement
Either they are overloaded with the amount and complexity of information they have to process... and added with the fear of making a mistake, therefore missing simple cues. Happens in pilot training simulations alot.....

... or they are just slow, subpar minds.

I would suggest the former.

Either they are overloaded with the amount and complexity of information they have to process... added with the fear of making a mistake. Therfore they are missing simple cues... happens in pilot training simulations all the time...
or they are just slow, subpar minds.

Not an unreasonable assumption.

And to use a pilot analogy: when i was getting my ticket, a flight instructor of mine said, “remember, all accidents happen on the ground.” Meaning, the chain of events started before the actual incident, (so be sure to break the chain). so in that sense, those negative plays didn’t start with the snap of the ball.

I’m trying to figure out how two of the worst throws/decisions you will ever seen from supposedly a top tier college Qb happened not only in the same game, but were committed by two different guys. Case in point:

On the TVD pick on his first throw of the game, he tries to get the ball literally through the db rolling up to play the curl to flat, with the pattern into the boundary making it clear that there is no throw. There is nothing in the route concept as run which would make you want to deliver that throw. Nothing. Nada. It’s actually a pretty simple route concept that you’re going to see as soon as you start playing organized football. That it would have confused a college Qb into an error shouldn’t be feasible in this universe.

And not to be outdone, what makes even less sense, (if possible):

Garcia not reading the cat blitz off the boundary that could have got him killed. I’ve worked with kids who were JV in high school that already know that. Missing that is the QB equivalent of not knowing you need to unzip your fly before you take a leak.

I’m struggling to understand how those plays could have happened, and not only that, with two different guys in the same game. because from a QB coach perspective, that defies logic and probability
Ponce is stealing money.

Advertisement
Not an unreasonable assumption.

And to use a pilot analogy: when i was getting my ticket, a flight instructor of mine said, “remember, all accidents happen on the ground.” Meaning, the chain of events started before the actual incident, (so be sure to break the chain). so in that sense, those negative plays didn’t start with the snap of the ball.

Gattis was a mistake.... force fitting his offensive system on to this team over spring and summer was a bigger mistake!

... especially with knowledge of our success last season

Both plays were designed poorly and covered well defensively. First play should be to Redding or throw it away. No reason to have two routes within yards of one another though. The second, nobody accounted for that man, on the QB as well, but QB's moss blitzes all the time. Where's the hot route regardless?

Gattis was a mistake.... force fitting his offensive system on to this team over spring and summer was a bigger mistake!

... especially with knowledge of our success last season
Not disagreeing with you about Gattis, but why did MTSU appear like they had more speed than us most of the time 🤔

Advertisement
if that one poster saying that TVD was out late poppin shots till 3am are true, there's your culture at work.

dude is probably so far up his self at this point with the wallet and bmw 7 series, all of which he clearly isn't ready for. Who knew giving 18 years 6 digits worth of $$$ in terms of resources could end up going wrong. College football is doomed boys

Advertisement
if that one poster saying that TVD was out late poppin shots till 3am are true, there's your culture at work.

dude is probably so far up his self at this point with the wallet and bmw 7 series, all of which he clearly isn't ready for. Who knew giving 18 years 6 digits worth of $$$ in terms of resources could end up going wrong. College football is doomed boys
Sounds like the night before the 93 Sugar Bowl...when most of the players were Drinking and partying on Bourbon St till 4a.m.....

The commentators mentioned one aspect of the offensive system that could have contributed to the QB - receiver issues..... they mentioned that the system did not allow for recievers to break off routes in case the QB pocket collapsed.
I am not sure if it is true.. maybe somebody with better knowledge of the system can comment

Either they are overloaded with the amount and complexity of information they have to process... and added with the fear of making a mistake, therefore missing simple cues. Happens in pilot training simulations alot.....

... or they are just slow, subpar minds.

I think this is an excellent analogy.

In terms of Football, has TVD become Carson Wentz, @Cribby?

Advertisement
I legit don’t know - who’s was calling plays at App St? Was it Ponce? I know it’s blow up everyone on sight that is on the coaching staff Sunday, but it’s a little hard to assign blame to Ponce, no?
Ponce is the QB coach at Miami. His entire job is to work with QBs at Miami. Cribby will have you believe the regression is due to poor spacing and players not being wide open. I on the other see a group effort.

Both plays were designed poorly and covered well defensively. First play should be to Redding or throw it away. No reason to have two routes within yards of one another though. The second, nobody accounted for that man, on the QB as well, but QB's moss blitzes all the time. Where's the hot route regardless?
1664130480590.gif

Advertisement
Back