QB D'Eriq King has been the nation's best dual-threat in 2020

Advertisement
I expected some more running, but we’ve had some people say that he’s been told not to? Idk seems weird, but there’s no denying without him we’re looking at 4-2 or maybe 3-3

I expected some more running, but we’ve had some people say that he’s been told not to? Idk seems weird, but there’s no denying without him we’re looking at 4-2 or maybe 3-3
Yeah if we had Perry or JW back there here's how I think our season would go:

UAB: W (almost put as an L)
Lville: L
FSU: W
Clemson: L
Pitt: L
UVA: L

Advertisement
I don't want to think about our record IF we had to start Perry from game one...

Can we keep King for 2021 and get some serious blowouts over the next 18-20 games to give TVd some experience before he takes over in 2022?

According to Lashlee in his press conference this week, King is still learning the read option, something he didn't do at Houston (according to Lashlee). Didn't give an indication of being told not to run, however, he did say King has been nicked up a bit.

I posted the stats in another thread, he's got almost as many carries as Cam.... He runs enough. If he gets hurt, our season is over. We'll lose 5 games total.

If you want to argue there's been some runs open with no defender where he could get 5-6 yards without getting hit, fine. But overall, he runs enough.

Advertisement
game of thrones wow GIF by SoulPancake

If he gets hurt, the season is over. I'm happy to not have him run.
He's just as likely to get injured dropping back as he is running and sliding. It's not like every team has an Amari looking to spear you helmet to helmet once you're already slid safe into 3rd base. The "get injured if you run" thing is for Ken Dorsey.

The good thing about King is he's built like a running back and is capable of absorbing hits that a guy who is 6'3 210 wouldn't. I'd like to see more designed runs for him. He seems to willing to tuck it and scramble on pass plays though.

Advertisement
Advertisement
There are 2 things about King that I would like to see going forward. First I would like to see him keep a bit more on the zone read stuff and secondly when we run designed QB runs I would like to see him drop back a bit or plant his feet like he is scanning the field to pass. This way it makes the defenders commit themselves to something allowing King to find bigger opening and potential running lanes. In other words more designed QB draws as opposed to a QB run where King immediately shows his intention to run. Nitpicky I know but I know that we could use King much more effectively in the run ning game if we committed to doing so. Just a thought.

Edit: To add, I thing we could use jet sweeps, tosses, reverses, double reverses and just more misdirection in general in the running game. I think it could be very effective especially based on what we have established as our tendencies thus far this season.

Last edited:
King’s passing numbers could be much better if UM’s receivers didn’t drop 11 catchable passes this season. If those balls were caught, King’s completion percentage would jump to 70.5 percent.

Zero ******* chance that's accurate. Gotta be more
Drops happen in the pros too my dude.
the reason the completion percentage is low is because he could not hit anything more than 25 yards away from him at the start of the season. Now he has the chemistry with the guys and is hitting better on the deep routes. Teams were daring him to throw deep but he was throwing ducks

Advertisement
Back