QB Decision

Samson Doyo

Junior
Does anyone else think Manny/Lashlee will **** up the QB situation? Pick one and go. To me, TVD is the guy considering our OL trouble. TYD gets rid of the ball quickly which is necessary. Plus, Smith and/or Restrepo in the slot should be an easy 5yrds or is that not part of Jedi Lashlee's super-duper offense? I think TVD is gonna take what is given to him. We need this to move the chains, build confidence and keep our defense off the field and well-rested. I have harped on this for years. First downs eventually lead to TD's.

Go Canes?

Advertisement
Whoever they decide to roll with, and my guess is TVD, they can't pull him at the first sign of trouble. Quickest way to ruin a young QB is to bench him after making a mistake or two. They'll be operating behind a really bad OL and probably won't be able to lean on the run game.

I'm not suggesting it's ride or die with one or the other, but we're going to take some lumps with a freshman QB one way or another. Unless the chosen starter completely ***** the bed, you roll with him and let him develop and build confidence.

Whoever they decide to roll with, and my guess is TVD, they can't pull him at the first sign of trouble. Quickest way to ruin a young QB is to bench him after making a mistake or two. They'll be operating behind a really bad OL and probably won't be able to lean on the run game.

I'm not suggesting it's ride or die with one or the other, but we're going to take some lumps with a freshman QB one way or another. Unless the chosen starter completely ***** the bed, you roll with him and let him develop and build confidence.
Takes a real coach to steady the ship in stormy seas.

Advertisement

I agree 100%. The only thing worse than yanking at the first sign of trouble is rotating QB's. As the old adage says "if you have 2 QB's you don't have A QB." I expect either/or from this staff. Hope I'm wrong.

Go Canes?

Does anyone else think Manny/Lashlee will **** up the QB situation? Pick one and go. To me, TVD is the guy considering our OL trouble. TYD gets rid of the ball quickly which is necessary. Plus, Smith and/or Restrepo in the slot should be an easy 5yrds or is that not part of Jedi Lashlee's super-duper offense? I think TVD is gonna take what is given to him. We need this to move the chains, build confidence and keep our defense off the field and well-rested. I have harped on this for years. First downs eventually lead to TD's.

Go Canes?

So what would constitute "******* up the QB situation" to you? Picking the guy who you don't think should start?

Go Canes?

I mean we do realize that high school team couldn't cover dudes 2 yard down the field? Everyone was open on almost every play. TVD's so called quick release is more bunk logic. TVD has done nothing but look horrible against every team he has ever played against other than the worst team Miami has ever played. King would have had 600 yards passing in that game.

Advertisement
I mean we do realize that high school team couldn't cover dudes 2 yard down the field? Everyone was open on almost every play. TVD's so called quick release is more bunk logic. TVD has done nothing but look horrible against every team he has ever played against other than the worst team Miami has ever played. King would have had 600 yards passing in that game.
Wow. Sorry Mr. Garcia. How many teams has TVD played against? Garcia. Or are you a Manny guy?

Go Canes!

So what would constitute "******* up the QB situation" to you? Picking the guy who you don't think should start?
Pulling whoever he picks after a few bad series, or worse yet, rotating QB's. I thought I made that clear. Do I need to type phonetically? Pick one and stick with it. Own the decision. That was my point. Otherwise, you divide the locker room.

Go Canes?

Pulling whoever he picks after a few bad series, or worse yet, rotating QB's. I thought I made that clear. Do I need to type phonetically? Pick one and stick with it. Own the decision. That was my point. Otherwise, you divide the locker room.

Go Canes?

But neither kid has proven himself against a real team yet. Are you insinuating that, say TVD is the pick, he should play the entire game no matter what? Within reason, of course. I'm not saying if he's 1/7 with 4 picks. But if the team isn't really moving, we're in a dogfight, he's gotten 3-4 series and maybe turned it over once, only had 1 real positive drive, looks a little tentative....you have to stick with him and not put Garcia in?

Dan Mullen put Anthony Richardson into the game in the 3rd series in both games he played, even though we all know AR is better. They went full rotational QBs. They have a Top 5 offense in the country. There's more than 1 way to skin a cat, is my point. I think both kids should get a chance to play on Thursday night.

Advertisement
But neither kid has proven himself against a real team yet. Are you insinuating that, say TVD is the pick, he should play the entire game no matter what? Within reason, of course. I'm not saying if he's 1/7 with 4 picks. But if the team isn't really moving, we're in a dogfight, he's gotten 3-4 series and maybe turned it over once, only had 1 real positive drive, looks a little tentative....you have to stick with him and not put Garcia in?
You just outlined a horrible scenario. Pick one and own it doesn't mean watch some kid drive it into the ground. I mentioned rotating, this may help you...focus on #2. PLEASE!

rotating
[ˈrōˌtādiNG]

ADJECTIVE
  1. moving in a circle around an axis or center.
    "the rotating drum of a capstan"
  2. passing to each member of a group in a regularly recurring order.
    "the unit includes two women and three men who work rotating shifts" ·
    [more]
    Hooked on Phonics. Look it up. It will help. God Bless you.

Go Canes?

Go Canes?
yes

Advertisement

Go Canes?
TVD got rid of the ball quickly with real short passes. Against Virginia those short passes will be taken away. No matter who is our QB they'll be coming after him and this is where TVD will have a problem. He doesn't move well in the pocket. Sacked twice by CCSU?

You just outlined a horrible scenario. Pick one and own it doesn't mean watch some kid drive it into the ground. I mentioned rotating, this may help you...focus on #2. PLEASE!

rotating
[ˈrōˌtādiNG]

ADJECTIVE
  1. moving in a circle around an axis or center.
    "the rotating drum of a capstan"
  2. passing to each member of a group in a regularly recurring order.
    "the unit includes two women and three men who work rotating shifts" ·
    [more]
    Hooked on Phonics. Look it up. It will help. God Bless you.

Go Canes?

OK, so pick a QB, and then he plays the entire game, but only if it's up to your standards. If he "drives it into the ground", they're allowed to pull him, but if it's not driven into the ground, the other kid isn't allowed to play because it might divide the locker room. So if we have, say 13 points in the first half, and its 14-13 UVA, then Jake isn't allowed to play (assuming TVD is the pick). Because he's proven.......literally nothing?

There's one way to play this when you have kids who are essentially equal, and I believe Lashlee is plenty smart enough to know it. You pick the guy who you think is ahead at this second, which I'm fairly confident is TVD, and you start him. You give him a couple series to get his feet wet, and you evaluate. If he's the 2nd coming of Christ, sorry Jake, we're absolutely rolling. If he's not, or obviously if he falls flat on his face, you give the other kid a shot. I'd be pretty surprised if they don't both play on Thursday. If they don't, to me it means one of two things. One....the starter absolutely lights it up early just like the scenario I just mentioned. Two...this isn't as much of a competition as we think it is, and one kid is clearly ahead of the other in their minds. I do not think #2 is likely at all, though. Hence the reason I expect both to get a chance to show what they can do. Which is a completely reasonable plan in a scenario with two freshman QBs who have never played.

OK, so pick a QB, and then he plays the entire game, but only if it's up to your standards. If he "drives it into the ground", they're allowed to pull him, but if it's not driven into the ground, the other kid isn't allowed to play because it might divide the locker room. So if we have, say 13 points in the first half, and its 14-13 UVA, then Jake isn't allowed to play (assuming TVD is the pick). Because he's proven.......literally nothing?

There's one way to play this when you have kids who are essentially equal, and I believe Lashlee is plenty smart enough to know it. You pick the guy who you think is ahead at this second, which I'm fairly confident is TVD, and you start him. You give him a couple series to get his feet wet, and you evaluate. If he's the 2nd coming of Christ, sorry Jake, we're absolutely rolling. If he's not, or obviously if he falls flat on his face, you give the other kid a shot. I'd be pretty surprised if they don't both play on Thursday. If they don't, to me it means one of two things. One....the starter absolutely lights it up early just like the scenario I just mentioned. Two...this isn't as much of a competition as we think it is, and one kid is clearly ahead of the other in their minds. I do not think #2 is likely at all, though. Hence the reason I expect both to get a chance to show what they can do. Which is a completely reasonable plan in a scenario with two freshman QBs who have never played.
I'm not reading this...agree to disagree Mr. Garcia. Good luck to your boy.

Go Canes?

Advertisement
Back