QB Decision Update (NEW YEARS DAY ANNOUNCEMENT TO THE LEAGUE)

Status
Not open for further replies.
But but but you guys told me USC didn’t really want Howard bc they had Nelson.
I never saw anyone say that. People said it’s not a good move for your final year to go head to head a top recruit, unless you’re basically guaranteed the job which it seems like is the case

Advertisement
It’s definitely not ideal, and I definitely hope we have a QB by spring. But with the way these kids are, and the transfer portal/NIL, it’ll be some QBs available after spring too once starters are announced. Not saying the quality will be good though.
Yeah I think any backup that loses the job post-Spring will be a good two or three notches below a Ward or Howard.

dead period starts in a few hours. Nelson's recruitment is gonna be long if he takes visits because he'll need to wait until January.

hopefully we're not dragged out that long
You can talk to recruits in dead period and transfers. Just can’t visit them or they can’t go to campus either.

Advertisement
I’d offer Nelson if we don’t get Ward tomorrow.

What do I know though.

Miami needs someone behind Ward but Nelson doesn’t want to sit. That’s the whole reason he is leaving. Won’t stay and battle Howard for the starting spot.

On Malachi Nelson:

He's been slowly recovering from a bum shoulder and hasn't been putting on weight as quickly as expected. Malachi Nelson came out of HS with an injury that caused him not to be able to practice. He hasn't developed enough to play yet.

On Will Howard: (From USC senior 247 writer)

There's a lot of optimism from USC's side of Howard's recruitment that he will be a Trojan. From what we're gathering, this might be a matter of sorting out the details of his NIL opportunities. At least, that's been the talk today. Miami made a substantial investment to sign a quarterback transfer this cycle, so USC's collectives have to line up their portfolios accordingly. That's just part of the game these days and it has a wider impact on player personnel than meets the eye. If, or perhaps when Howard does commit to USC this week, we'll have to see what dominoes fall as a result. And which way they fall; particularly in the quarterback room. That could get very interesting.

Malachi Nelson probably has the better upside long term than Howard, but after a disappointing second year, Lincoln Riley can't afford to go through the growing pains of a young, 1st year starter at qb. This is why he went after Howard. This is kind of a make or break year for Lincoln Riley.
@Zanecane made similar point in other thread. I just don't see Riley being in any jeopardy after next year. they gave clay Helton like 6+ years, but Riley would be under the gun after year 3? doesn't jibe to me.

wonder if Riley willing to lose Nelson to get Howard for a year is a sign that he's not keen on developing QBs anymore. wants a sure thing and will leave for the NFL whenever he gets a chance

Advertisement
Some of these coaches gonna let the portal be a detriment and downfall to their program eventually. You have a 5 star QB on your roster in his second season with a full off season to have him ready to go and you go after a 1 year rental and lose him?!
Truth be told the portal should teach kids who really wants to coach. Why would I trust you to develop me if you're just going to continue to pick up transfers bc you're scared to coach players up yourself?

@Zanecane made similar point in other thread. I just don't see Riley being in any jeopardy after next year. they gave clay Helton like 6+ years, but Riley would be under the gun after year 3? doesn't jibe to me.

wonder if Riley willing to lose Nelson to get Howard for a year is a sign that he's not keen on developing QBs anymore. wants a sure thing and will leave for the NFL whenever he gets a chance
Don't think Riley would be in jeopardy but if the first year in the B1G is dog****, after a letdown year this year, then people will start calling for his head.

in the days of the portal, Riley probably knows he can sign a top qb each and every year so appeasing to young, undeveloped talent is less important

Advertisement

I don't think Riley is in any danger of being fired as USC if they have another down year. I do however, think that Riley wants to prove people wrong who say that he's overrated as a coach.

Do we think it's concerning/means anything that Ward followed (on Instagram) two FSU players, their QB coach, and someone else somehow affiliated w/ FSU vs. just Fletcher?
The equivalent of me connecting with 2-3 employees on LinkedIn at a company I interviewed with that I decided to turn down.

There are a few QB prospects in the portal who would be worth bringing in. Brown might change all this talk if he shows out in the bowl game
Season 6 What GIF by The Office

Advertisement
wouldn't be shocked to see Hayes drop the will howard to USC edit shortly as it's getting close to 7pm PST

There are a few QB prospects in the portal who would be worth bringing in. Brown might change all this talk if he shows out in the bowl game
I hope it doesn't come to that

but there is a point where the portal isn't a clear upgrade over brown.. not sure where that point is, but I imagine if we miss on ward, Moore, and Nelson (if we even try)... we'll be approaching the "is it worth it" stage of getting a portal qb

granted more could enter

I think he’s gonna get 4 years minimum but if he struggles next season his seat will be scorching hot. He was hired for the same reasons we hired Mario. He can’t afford another sub standard year for multiple reasons.

If he struggles again his NFL shine could diminish. He could be on his way to be fired at USC. I personally think his endgame is jumping to the league. If he rolls with Howard and goes 10-2, 11-1 a team will be willing to take a chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back