QB Decision Update (NEW YEARS DAY ANNOUNCEMENT TO THE LEAGUE)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
The first pick in the fourth round last year got a 4yr/$4.68 million deal, aka $1.17 mil per year (not all of which is guaranteed).

Based on the SPECULATED numbers we’ve heard regarding NIL, even the smart AAV move would be to come to UM if early 4th round is a reasonable projection (and I think it could be generous).

I know before you mentioned u would explain to the board why this drug out so long after everything was announced. Has that reasoning now changer? Based on your comments today sounds like there's a bit more uncertainty with what he may do. Before it felt like there was a specific reason it wasn't announced yet

The first pick in the fourth round last year got a 4yr/$4.68 million deal, aka $1.17 mil per year (not all of which is guaranteed).

Based on the SPECULATED numbers we’ve heard regarding NIL, even the smart AAV move would be to come to UM if early 4th round is a reasonable projection (and I think it could be generous).
About 900k guaranteed I believe.

Advertisement
We need to push a hard deadline… honestly by Friday.

We’re in a dead period right now?? I’d start lining up same day visits with that Marshall DE

Any other position in the NFL you could possibly say “bet on yourself” and be right, but we’ve seen even GOOD NFL QBs be hampered by organizational dysfunction or poor OC/HC alignment.

That decision making would be just short sighted imo

Correct.

How many QBs have the Jets and Lions ruined alone...

Are the Wards related to Mario? They may take even longer to make a decision.

Also obvious there was never a 1a and 1b
Eh... the difference is that there doesn't appear to be much of a downside for them. Maybe they would miss out on some transfers staying/going at the school they are going to potentially play at but if there are a bunch of schools willing to wait and the deadline for the NFL isn't until later, there isn't much of a downside for them.

Advertisement
Eh... the difference is that there doesn't appear to be much of a downside for them. Maybe they would miss out on some transfers staying/going at the school they are going to potentially play at but if there are a bunch of schools willing to wait and the deadline for the NFL isn't until later, there isn't much of a downside for them.
If Miami is several hundred thousand over the second highest school’s offer, there’s definitely some risk in Ward waiting.

What's the latest he could enroll for spring semester?
1703706816041.png

Advertisement
Are you talking about the NIL offer for one year for Ward?

It's closer to $2M than $1M. He's not getting extra "rapid decision" money.
I meant guaranteed money for an early fourth round draft pick.

If we’re offering close to 2 mil (which we very well could be), I’m pretty surprised the Ward’s are deliberating like this.

If they had a true second round grade, he would have declared for the NFL already.

Exactly.

They've been given a range. Nobody can give a guarantee. The reality is usually "middle of the range".

Yes, it's true, someone in the Davis family can fall in love with a player and blow a first-round Raider pick on a 4th rounder. It's happened before. But usually on fast WRs.

Advertisement
If Miami is several hundred thousand over the second highest school’s offer, there’s definitely some risk in Ward waiting.
Not if Miami is not making it clear to him that he needs to make a decision or they will for him (maybe they are).

But that may make it easier for him as having an option eliminated might not be that bad of a thing for him if he is viewing his options as relatively equal to begin with.

I meant guaranteed money for an early fourth round draft pick.

If we’re offering close to 2 mil (which we very well could be), I’m pretty surprised the Ward’s are deliberating like this.

Think about it another way.

Let's say that the 1.17M per year was accurate for a 4-year deal.

So then you'd say, we could get (as much as) 2M for one year at Miami, with no state income tax, so depending on the draft location (city/state), then your one year at Miami could equal two pro years worth of salary (and, sure, there'd be a small growth in NFL salary year-over-year, as a 2025 draft pick in the same spot tends to be paid more than a 2024 draft pick in the same spot, etc.).

THEN, you would say "the only way that taking the Miami money does NOT make sense is if we think the draft spot would TANK with another year in college". And it would have to tank a lot to say that $2M for one year is "not worth it". Not to mention that a GOOD year at Miami raises the draft slot and pay, to the point where MAYBE your annual pay begins to approach or even exceed $2M per year. In which case, the Miami year just becomes a "fifth year" for a player on a 4-year contract. Again, the only "down side" is that Ward is SOOOO good in 2024 that the NFL pay EXCEEDS what Miami is offering. On one hand, if he played his way into the first round, then his UM pay could be "less" and he might lock himself into a 5-year contract (assuming 1st round is possible). So in theory, he gets to his "second contract" two years later than he "might" if he goes pro now. On the other hand, the ONLY way that this horrible dilemma arises is if he is amazing at UM, because he is certainly not 1st round/2nd round rated AT THIS TIME.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back