He moves fine in straight lines. He doesn’t move great in zone coverage or turning and going, so when teams don’t isolate for that, he’s a big help. Problem will be teams with a slightly better OL who can hold the point and allow their routes to get more depth. By that point, I hope a couple corners are back and Fitz can play Safety and/or Nickel on passing downs. That will help.Anyone have input on what the diff was this game?
Seemed like he had less responsibilities, was mostly spying, tasked w going downhill, etc.
Seemed like he was hesitating less
Dude was a Manny Diaz recruit....Not ready to give him a gold jacket yet but he shut me the **** up on Saturday night. Played really, really well. Fast, instinctive, and violent really from the first snap. Obviously the best game of his career. I’m happy as **** for him, imagine waiting all this time with all these injuries with all that rehab and then finally getting a chance to contribute, and doing it at a high level. Gotta feel **** good right about now, and he deserves it.
Since Toure brotherMost physical backer since.....Perriman?
The guys who were asking why he plays didn't understand that it's: physicality. Also size - so size and physicality. He does have tremendous closing speed as well for a guys so bad, albeit in a straight line downhill.
Toure, Smith, and Thornton on the field together is a major Pass Coverage concert for me.He moves fine in straight lines. He doesn’t move great in zone coverage or turning and going, so when teams don’t isolate for that, he’s a big help. Problem will be teams with a slightly better OL who can hold the point and allow their routes to get more depth. By that point, I hope a couple corners are back and Fitz can play Safety and/or Nickel on passing downs. That will help.
I will never agree with writing off players because of injuries, you haters will love him by the end of the season. He will be the defensive version of Arroyo
Pretty **** reasonable take. *******He moves fine in straight lines. He doesn’t move great in zone coverage or turning and going, so when teams don’t isolate for that, he’s a big help. Problem will be teams with a slightly better OL who can hold the point and allow their routes to get more depth. By that point, I hope a couple corners are back and Fitz can play Safety and/or Nickel on passing downs. That will help.
I have mad speck for Chase and his physicality, but I do t think there is anyone who would say he is more physical than Toure.Most physical backer since.....Perriman?
The guys who were asking why he plays didn't understand that it's: physicality. Also size - so size and physicality. He does have tremendous closing speed as well for a guys so bad, albeit in a straight line downhill.
Toure, Smith & Thornton struggle in coverage, but in tight quarters they are physical as ****.Toure, Smith, and Thornton on the field together is a major Pass Coverage concert for me.
I'll also give Smith this - He's not as bad as Toure in coverage. He's bad, but Toure is horrible in coverage. Teams have just been going trips and getting Toure to move out into the slot and it makes me want to kms.... And if Smith were to play like he did in this game against the Run, I'd say he should possibly start over Toure. Still don't like the lack of LB rotation. I want Toure and Smith rotating at same spot. And any of Wiley/Bonner/Pruitt to step up. I really want to see Pruitt in pass downs.
If Dylan Day can step up I really like what we have at S+Nickel once the CBs return. Thornton needs to learn to wrap up, but he's fine in nickel early downs and blitzing. Dunnigan and Fitzgerald can play anywhere on the Defense. Poyser has been trusted to do both S and Nickel.... EOC MUST stay healthy. I really hope we can get Waters more burn at CB. Seems Ryan Mack is ahead of him, but idk if thats cause of seniority or not. Antione is the one I really want to see get healthy soon....